PDA

View Full Version : F20 driveshaft seal leaking

Iain
05-06-12, 10:53 AM
This is annoying me now! Was getting a very bad leak from the passenger side driveshaft seal on my F20 (it was litereally pouring down when filled up) so I've replaced the seal and it's still leaking.

Topped it up, checked it this morning and there was a little dribble down onto the diff cover plate.

Any ideas?

mowgli
05-06-12, 02:01 PM
what state is the bit on the inner cv, where the seal meets it?? if it is worn, it will leak

is there any diff play? i ask this cos it was the cause of my f13 leak a while back. a quick nip up of the bearing sorted it out

and obviously, is the cv pushed right in properly?

Balley
05-06-12, 02:13 PM
You say a quick nip up, is it just the case of tightening up the taper? Like a rear wheel bearing? As my diff has a bit of play making the seal leak a little!

Iain
05-06-12, 02:22 PM
Just had it off and replaced the seal for good measure.

Inner CV looks OK, one slight groove worn in it. I did notice some left over paint in that area which may not have helped so its been cleaned off and sanded back with some fine grit so its all nice and smooth.

No diff play to my knowledge, it's been out recently but I tightened it up to how it was before and double checked for any play in the bearings.

It seems to be happy to sit and leak on a standstill and not when driving or even moving!

Iain
05-06-12, 02:23 PM
You say a quick nip up, is it just the case of tightening up the taper? Like a rear wheel bearing? As my diff has a bit of play making the seal leak a little!

Yeah they're taper bearings on the diff, so if you wind the huge castle nut in slightly it'll tighten it.

mowgli
05-06-12, 02:33 PM

when i say nip up, i made a quick special tool with a piece of flat bar & an old 1/2" drive socket, so i could get the torque wrench on it.

Iain
05-06-12, 03:04 PM
Doesn't Haynes say tighten till it starts to grab then slacken a bit?

Iain
14-06-12, 06:15 PM
I think I've found whats happening... Jacked it up today and it started pouring out of the gearbox immediately. Turns out the inner CV had fallen out of the box slightly meaning basically no seal!

Have to try a new circlip to keep it in and hope that it doesn't pull out again...

mowgli
14-06-12, 07:34 PM
iain, make sure you really push it in properly, i had one a while back that looked for all the world like it was properly in, yet leaked. i ended up with a lump of wood & the big hommer to sort it out

scott.parker
14-06-12, 07:40 PM
Yeah give it a small knock home dude, but also, do you have to put a washer on the spline end before it goes into the hub part, as some times the small shaft is slightly too small and can get play in it and when your giving it some death on track it's going to pulling it about ALOT! so it might need this to keep it tight in there?

Iain
14-06-12, 07:47 PM
Its definitely been hit home with a rubber mallet. Yeah I have the spacer rings between the wheel bearing and the outer CV.

I think I'll try a new circlip and hope that stops it from pulling out, as when I've yanked it out to replace the shaft seal its come out fairly easily in comparison to the usual tug you need to give them!

Iain
18-06-12, 10:15 PM
ARGH help its still pulling itself out the box and I have a trackday on Thursday lol

The only thing I can think of is the spacers I am using from Quaife are stopping it from seating properly. These ones I fitted to stop the Cav 22 spline inners having too much play:

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP2a/035.JPG

Lifted one wheel and span the wheel back and forth and it felt a bit dodgy on the inner CV, more play than just the usual small amount.