PDA

View Full Version : how do i go about fitting a 5 speed box?

simoncuts
03-06-12, 10:07 AM
Hi,

I have got a 1.2i nova with a 4 speed box! Love the car but it does seem to scream a bit on the motorway:)! I really want a 5th gear to give it an easier life, what do i need to do the job? And can it be done?

Comments please, thanks.:)

garyc
03-06-12, 10:27 AM
dead easy, You can either swap the gear cluster from a 4 to a 5 or swap the whole box. The only thing you will need to do is cut a lug off the gear lever to allow you to get 5th gear.

mowgli
03-06-12, 10:47 AM
if you swap the cluster over, it is a bit more involved than that...

you need a puller to swap the pinion gear over, and the 5 speed shifter box (the bit on the top that the linkage goes to)

simply get a 5 speed box & try to find a 5 speed linkage for a nova too. i know you can mod the 4 speed one, but tbf, having a 5 on the gearknob is nice..

now, as for the gearbox to get... you need to look at the diff ratios. one from an astra mk3 with a wide ratio box & a 3.94 diff will give you longer gearing, but it might struggle to pull top gear on hills.

simoncuts
03-06-12, 02:05 PM
thanks for that guys. Not bothered about the spanner work, just want to make sure i get the right parts.

So probably better off getting an sr box, as the diff will be better matched?

What other car could i get a usable box from, and would i need the flywheel and clutch or are they interchangable?

What do you think? Thanks!

mowgli
03-06-12, 04:36 PM
you can fit the f10 f13 f15 boxes quite easily. no clutch or flywheel mods needed at all..

the sr box won't gain you very much at all, and will also be quite expensive.

an astra mk3 1.4 box would be about right as a guess

simoncuts
05-06-12, 09:38 AM
Thanks for that, get on the case for parts now.