PDA

View Full Version : Just typical ...

Tony M
02-06-12, 12:18 AM
As some of you know I had my first attempt at doing a headgasket and a full cambelt kit change on the Mrs Tigra (Due to the water pump failure). With alot of nervous anticipation she fired up with no problems at all :d (I was having horrible dreams in the week that I had left one little bolt loose in the engine that would knacker the whole thing up) lol

Anyway, I thought whilst the tools are out I'll change the spark plugs on the Corsa ...

Taking the spark plugs out I was just using a long reach socket and long nose pliers to grab them. Upon taking the 4th spark plug out I grabbed it with the long nosers and the porcelain on the spark plug fell apart and a large chunk has fell into port 4 :cry:

Sooo .... anyone have any possible ideas how to get this out at all? I don't really want to take the head off the Corsa just after doing the Tigra.

The offending spark plug -

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii195/Daywalker84/20120602_002046.jpg

steviegsi
02-06-12, 01:53 AM
Lift the car up, turn it over , and give it a shake? lol

Head off has to be the only way, as you'll never know for sure you have managed to get it ALL out successfully before starting it.

mk1nova_rich
02-06-12, 06:06 AM
As above, cylinder head off job is the only way

Royston
02-06-12, 07:54 AM
Get the spanners out:cry:

As above, Porcelain is quite hard, any fragments will do untold damage, even if you could get some of it out, but not worth the risk

Pete
02-06-12, 08:31 AM
Now thats just bad luck lol

2 heads in no time at all, and not the good sort lol

Andy
02-06-12, 08:47 AM
Use a telescopic magnet to get deep seated plugs out in future.
That really is shyte luck is that.

burgo
02-06-12, 01:05 PM
gutted, congrats on the successful gasket and belt change, bet your glad you took my advice and did it yourself now instead of paying the garage lots

Tony M
02-06-12, 01:31 PM
gutted, congrats on the successful gasket and belt change, bet your glad you took my advice and did it yourself now instead of paying the garage lots

Definitely mate! Thank you for your advice, I added the money up its cost to do the whole lot and I've saved £70 from the original garage quote for just the cambelt kit fitted.

Benn
02-06-12, 02:28 PM
Hoover, with a few bits of tube on the hose, suck it out.

Must have been cracked as it doesn't normally break off that easy...

Balley
02-06-12, 02:36 PM
As above, then turn over by hand and prey!

Royston
02-06-12, 02:44 PM
Hoover, with a few bits of tube on the hose, suck it out.

Must have been cracked as it doesn't normally break off that easy...

I was thinking that myself but erred on the side of caution, but after some thought.......

If to put the piston to BDC you might stand a chance, i.e maximum access to the piston top,it would be difficult to hoover the whole area, you'd need to check all the debris be 100% sure you got it all.

If it was mine I'd certainly give it a go before stripping, access to a suitable endoscope to look into the cylinder to check would be the ultimate check (know anyone with one? might be worth asking around), you could then hoover until you got it all

Benn
02-06-12, 03:18 PM
What i was thinking, saves taking the head off... Shame as i have a endoscope that just fits in the plug hole...

mowgli
02-06-12, 04:54 PM
what about getting a decent air line lance in it, and also a hoover with a small pipe on it & wearing goggles?? lol