PDA

View Full Version : Novas - What's your reason for owning one...

Southie
30-05-12, 07:22 PM
... also what makes you enjoy them as much as you do, come on we know the little rotters are addictive.

So reasons for owning... enjoyment of driving... and probably making money by breaking them lol

Discuss ;)

pikey1986
30-05-12, 07:27 PM
i would like to say driving them is fun but ive not driven my one for over 2yrs, one thing i do like about them is the comments/reactions people give when i tell them i own a nova, oh and they do look nice when subtley(sp) modded

bazil
30-05-12, 07:28 PM
I was in first year when the GSI came out and I loved seeing the being rallied, they were top of the class in the right hands,

To drive, I just prefered them over fiestas and never looked at anything else as I only ever wanted a small 3 door hatch to cut about in.

paul080803
30-05-12, 07:28 PM
Had a 1.3sr as first car 11 years ago and addicted ever since!!

mowgli
30-05-12, 07:31 PM
first car i drove after passing my test... i drove it like a maniac & soon realised i could really make it go.. then i got used to it, so started adding more power, slightly bigger wheels etc....then managed to be novaless for about 18 months.... got up one morning in 1993 & told the mrs i was buying another nova & she said... i wondered when you were going to..

Southie
30-05-12, 07:34 PM
I had one at 17 [19 years ago :eek:] and loved the car but couldn't afford may mods so it was just a daily, always followed rallying and the likes of Peter Madien and Colin McRae in them had always appealed to me... one day I'll own another no doubt.

I do miss that wonky steering position lol

Edd
30-05-12, 07:38 PM
I had one as my first car 16 years ago, got a 21k 1.3 SR a year later and was hooked

Had many many more in all specs

Driving the Sport for the first time was awesome, took me back many years lol I will never part with it now

Benn
30-05-12, 07:42 PM
My mates mum had one, that he then got two years before i could drive, was so jelous. I love everything about it and had to get one my self.
Got my first and fell in love with them from then on....

angusl2006
30-05-12, 08:00 PM
Seeing a friends minted black GSi when i was about 15, 2 weeks later i bought my first!

looks and comments you get when parked up, many a time ive been stopped by the police just so they can have a look about and tell me their stories.

Serious money in them now though!

scott.parker
30-05-12, 08:18 PM
Long story short, i used to hate nova's as there were the saxo of my time in 96, so i always wanted a fiesta xr2, got a mk2 ghia, killed it 8 months after passing, then got an XR2i mk3, it broke down loads i could never afford to modify it, and to do so was not cheep, my mates had nova's i then saw the reason's way as they were cheep, reliable and easy/cheep to modify so i had to have one, so finally in 2002 i got my first a silk violet GSi, and 6 months after owning it i had it XE'd lol now im on to my 3rd & 4th, if any one ask i say there like a disease you cant get rid of, and there with you for life, its had to explain, i say a bit like people who love Mini's etc..

I might be selling my "daily" Astra as Ive not drove it for about 5 months now lol

Benn
30-05-12, 08:26 PM
96? Didn't think you'd be older than me Scott... lol

raf24
30-05-12, 08:27 PM
Sold a newer fiesta(my first car) an E reg mk2,to buy a B reg 1.2L nova when i was 20,thats how much i wanted a nova! Also remember seeing an ad in a car mag for the GTE when it just came out,i was 12 at the time and loved the look of it,so 23 years later i finally have my GTE i always wanted lol

scott.parker
30-05-12, 08:30 PM
96? Didn't think you'd be older than me Scott... lol

I was the oldest at the National till John H and Mowgli arrived! lol nice eh!..

Sold a newer fiesta(my first car) an E reg mk2,to buy a B reg 1.2L nova when i was 20,thats how much i wanted a nova! Also remember seeing an ad in a car mag for the GTE when it just came out,i was 12 at the time and loved the look of it,so 23 years later i finally have my GTE i always wanted lol

This makes you about the same sort of age range as Benn, me then..

Southie
30-05-12, 08:33 PM
Scott, how old are you... you still look 25ish lol I think Novaoo was maybe the oldest though mate, sorry Mr ooooo.

scott.parker
30-05-12, 08:45 PM
Scott, how old are you... you still look 25ish lol I think Novaoo was maybe the oldest though mate, sorry Mr ooooo.

Lol yes he was.. im 32 this August dude

raf24
30-05-12, 08:49 PM
Yes im afraid im nearly 36 mate

Benn
30-05-12, 08:53 PM
Lol yes he was.. im 32 this August dude

I'm 31 in June.. lol

And Raf, funny, i had a 1.2 B reg, and sold it for a E reg SR... lol

novalew
30-05-12, 09:00 PM
i'm 29 on the fifth, i used to love mk2 golfs at school but when i went to college this lad in my class had a mistral grey gsi rep and its just been a love that never stopped, had 4 but not had one for the last 4 years due to starting a family but the wifey has told me i can have a project for my 30th (early mid life crisis lol) and i cant wait!!!

does anyone else have partners, friends, family or colleagues who thinks that they are actually obsessed to the point Nova talk is banned?

raf24
30-05-12, 09:04 PM
And Raf, funny, i had a 1.2 B reg, and sold it for a E reg SR... lol[/QUOTE]

Mine was astro silver with the 4 speed box,tried to make it look like an sr,brown burberry interior,gte 3 spokes,spoiler,sr grille and put a mk2 bumper on the front,thought i was the bees knees lol oh to be that age again

John
30-05-12, 09:15 PM
I had a nova when I was 16 and learning to drive, hooked ever since! (another shout for the over 30's nova owner!)

Nova00
30-05-12, 09:20 PM
you may well be correct. but i could be disqualified from the competition as I have never owned a nova

steviegsi
30-05-12, 09:26 PM
My mums friends son had one when I was about 5. He was about 18 and got a brand new grey GSI. He took my bro and I up the road and it went like shlt through a goose.I got a 1.2i fun in white at 16 - put GSI interior, dash, bumpers, skirts , wheels etc but it needed more welding than we thought come time to paint it, ( still lying in a shed and I will do something with it some day , although all the good bits have been used on other novas over the years, apart from the interior which the mice destroyed last year!)

So on my 19 birthday I got my silk violet GSI.... First time I sat in it, it was the car smell sent me back in time. Awesome. He also had a brand new Astra mk3 GSI 16v in spectral blue after the nova.... I got one the same 18 months ago, although it smelt more of damp tbh.

So he's the person who I blame. lol

Southie
30-05-12, 09:28 PM
you may well be correct. but i could be disqualified from the competition as I have never owned a nova

Ahhhh so your better half owns the SR lol

I'm older than you as well Scott, 36 this year :eek:

Royston
30-05-12, 09:29 PM
Bought my SR when I was 18, has it ever since, accumulated 2 other Sports since and of course my Rover Vitessem plus a few other toys

Southie
30-05-12, 09:32 PM
Royston your a sicko really having all that motoring fun and only being able to drive one at once lol

Benn
30-05-12, 09:46 PM
(another shout for the over 30's nova owner!)

:confused: *raises eye brow* Whatever! lol

Connor
30-05-12, 09:46 PM
Hated them, got given one for my first car, then got stuck with them lol.

andyredtop83
30-05-12, 10:03 PM
Was at school in the 90's when novas were everywhere and i really wanted one. Passed my test at 19 in 2003 in a micra and the instructor kept saying that micras are really good for a first car you should get one, but i had already made my mind up it had to be a nova! Like a lot of us started with a 1.2 merit and after a year upgraded to a 1.3sr. I was a bit stupid in those days there were holes in the bottom of the doors and the engine was starting to burn oil but i was saving all my money up to buy undercar neons lol. Then i moved on to mark 3 cavs still old school vauxhalls had a SRi then a GSi which i still have today but i missed the nova so much i had to have another one and thats were i am today :d

Royston
30-05-12, 10:11 PM
UOTE=Southie;2035376]Royston your a sicko really having all that motoring fun and only being able to drive one at once lol[/QUOTE]

It is a problem. lol

Southie
30-05-12, 10:15 PM
So is quoting me lol ... must be the speed of the vitesse that's got to you lol

Royston
30-05-12, 10:31 PM
Its the V8 sound

hotrod
30-05-12, 10:32 PM
My first car was a mk 1 fiesta (bright pink xr2 lookalike! lol) after 6 months the garage i was working at got a 1.3 sr in trade in. It was a silk violet gte lookalike, I HAD TO HAVE IT! :) went to the bank on my dinner and walked out 30 mins later with a £700 loan in my pocket and it was bye bye fiesta! lol

Never not owned a nova in the 17 years since!

Just love the way they stick to the road like glue and yeah still love the offset driving position! lol

Jack
30-05-12, 10:37 PM
First time round, because it had two windscreen wipers and my old Fiat only had one. Wasn't overly keen to get one as they were 'kev' cars lol

Bought the saloon as a nice 205/106/EP91 wasn't around at the time.

yellow_seh
30-05-12, 10:38 PM
Three little words..... OLD SCHOOL COOL

marc69
30-05-12, 10:41 PM
After passing my test I looked at metros/minis/fiestas and novas.
Minis were very expensive for a decent one, every fiesta seemed like a rust bucket and several of them had leaking radiators and so on, I didn't want a metro for obvious reasons.
Always thought Novas were good looking, especially the original SR.
looked at a few novas, realised the earlier ones seemed to be in better nick, bought a B reg 993. My mate with a 1.6 Astra had a shot and couldn't beleive how fast it was for a 1l and how it handled.

I kept it for 5 years, by that time it was an SR lookalike. I then bought a classic mini cooper and thought the nova should go.
Within months I was missing the drivability around twon of the nova and the little engine!
Bought a Mk2, it was rubbish. WE got my swing as scrap. Did it up, bought the other Novas and now I have too many although 2 are mk2s so they will be going first.

They drive really well and now I sort of know my way round them to fix so it is also a huge practical advantage.

people always stop to tell me their nova stories and admiration, oftenb asking to take photos (of the car not me).

I do think the Nova in a sense was the 80s answer to the mini. They are both fun to drive too even in basic spec.

Asa-James
30-05-12, 10:46 PM
my mum got an A reg 2 door loon when i was about 15, my sister learned to drive in it, then i learned and ended up inheriting it. after putting it through a hedge (and realising i wasnt colin mcrea) i looked out for one with a bit more oomph, and ended up landing a G reg 1.3 4 door 'loon Pearl model. i grew up, got a cav, then bought the last nova i had, the e reg 5 door thats been gone two years now

still hate them, still want another one. theres just something about their brutal simplicity that makes them strangely good... :)

EwanG
30-05-12, 10:50 PM
When I was about 8 years old i spotted a red sr I remember the 1.3sr vinyl on the tailgate thought it looked cool:cool:. Then when I passed my test in 1998 I still had a nova in my head but was going to get a fiesta 1 litre as I thought it would be cheap to insure but got a quote for an sr and there was only £50 difference so I bought a red one. Had it for 2 years and some **** crashed into it. I always wanted another one but thought they were all rusted away until 3-4 years ago I started looking at them on the internet and wanted one. Then bought another this year :d. I just love the shape of them. I am not a fan of the mk2 it has to be a mk1 as I prefer the dash,bumpers and front end. The funny thing is I dont even like vauxhalls lol

John
30-05-12, 10:53 PM
:confused: *raises eye brow* Whatever! lol

lol yeah you know it! lol

gteben
30-05-12, 11:15 PM
well since i was a young lad dad was driving some rover tomcat an i seen this little car i was only about 6 or 7 years old .. summer of 1994 . anyways i seen this little gte going up the road . giving it some beans. an he came up the side of the car. an i opened my eyes with pure joy. an this must of been in this 20s seen me looking . an smiled and waved at me. an this nova just put his booty down an left for dust into the sun set and since them i loved them. so all thru my years dad taught me how to weld take a car apart an build it up . also how to build custom motor bikes. very machanic my family . there aint nuffin we canrt do... well anyways went to pick it this vauxhall nova up . 1.0ltr white nova in brilliant condishion. built it totally up . lost my temp an sold it for two top of the range air rifles. then about 8 months later i start pineing for my nova again. so got 1.3 sr ended up scrapping it . the shell well. by the time me an dad finishing stripping it . there was more holes in the car then in no mans land france 1918 ... many years passed and i went thru 20 cars trying to find somethink better then a nova. but god (i'e my grandad ) told me the nova gave my happiness an alot of time in the garage again. well years passed an i couldnt find the right nova for me . just before my grandad died i sold my dad the astra an one the 15th of may .... well when i seen my little gte she gave me peace ... and alot of chilled times . just a man an his car relaxing together on the top of a hill side looking down in the valley an up in the blood red skies. me an my nova are not just man an car.. we bond'd together as one. she dont let me go an i dont let her go. she never fails me . an for that is why i wont sell her. an ill buy all the best parts i can buy for her .......... there you

burgo
30-05-12, 11:29 PM
im an idiot thats why

gteben
30-05-12, 11:31 PM
im an idiot thats why

love it that about sounds it all up for every nova fan. totally bonkers to own one . and love draining money in to it an doesnt care what your perants of it being on there drive an also sticks the middle finger up to the bank . cause they dont like you draining your bank out then your wages go in lmfao

MK999
30-05-12, 11:35 PM
They're **** enough to be cheap as hell and light enough (due to ****ness) to be fun lol

brainsnova
30-05-12, 11:41 PM
I was looking through fast car or along those lines back in 1998 ish and seen the 1.3sr buying guide and thought thats the car I want but it was Jamaica but I wanted white then one popped up round the corner in perfect standard condition :cool: since I was 16 and too young to drive the boy took me for a spin and I bought it that night for £800 with 65,000. Then it sat in my grandads garage for a couple of years until I had my licence

jaygsi
31-05-12, 12:39 AM
Had one over 10 years ago, there easy to work on, simple to do stuff to, when your doing 40mph feels like 140mph, rev happy cars, had tones of cars since, all way to refined. Thats why i want a nova for the summer.

novadave24
31-05-12, 10:16 AM
they are good fun and aa nice car to drive and the pick up in them is very good and were they are small they are so easy to get in tight spaces when i drive mine all i get is people smiling at it as i drive past or they say ant seen one of them for a long time lol

GRUNT 16V
31-05-12, 10:35 AM
i liked them ever since i was a young boy back in the 80s !!!!!!!!! so had to have one i also love the feeling of beeing under estimated !!!!! smile factor !

Hobbit
31-05-12, 10:42 AM
Needed a cheap run about as my 200sx was costing me too much to run. Found a decent low mileage merit in auto trader. Fell in love with it and ended stripping the 200sx. The merit got written if by some twunt in a db9, he paid me cash to walk away so i bought Lee's old shell. Then took 3 years to build it. But was well worth the wait. :d

Andy
31-05-12, 11:00 AM
love it that about sounds it all up for every nova fan. totally bonkers to own one . and love draining money in to it an doesnt care what your perants of it being on there drive an also sticks the middle finger up to the bank . cause they dont like you draining your bank out then your wages go in lmfao
What?!

GRUNT 16V
31-05-12, 12:29 PM
What?!

agreed wtf

brownbear
31-05-12, 12:34 PM
Took my Corrado G60 off the road and borrowed my ex's 5dr Merit. Took the royal pi55 out of it non stop till i discovered power to weight and the fact vauxhall engines have more bhp per cc than any VAG engine from the same era and weigh less than any VAG.... EVER and fell in love.

The simplicity of them is fantastic and the fact it only over died outside a house made it seem like it had a personality and my best interests at heart. Stuck to the road like it had wheels made of super glue and refused to let go when being pushed hard.

Bought a 2dr Loon, loved every second of it (When it wasn't scaring the royal poop out of me with it's dodgy fuel gauge)

Now I'm novaless and yes, I'd have another in a heartbeat.

cormac81
31-05-12, 01:09 PM
Been into my vauxhalls for years and wanted a small classic and the nova was perfect the job. Have always loved the shape of them particuarlly above the arches.

devonskippy
31-05-12, 01:23 PM
My first car was a 1.2L Nova 4 door saloon in black with dealer fit spoiler and graphics, given to me by the grandmother and was previously owned by my other granddad as a learners car! After a few subtle tweeks it looked better for going to school in and the following 8 years.

The family has always owned Vauxhalls and I've stuck with them.

Having moved on to a Corsa and then a horrid Peugeot 207 company car, I decided it was time to get a proper car again and told the boss what he could do with his Peugeot!

So after a 6 year break, I've now got a 1.3SR and love driving it. It's my daily car and have already spent loads on it, but wouldn't sell it! The 1973 VW camper is the other hobby for the weekend!

pie
31-05-12, 01:42 PM
had a nova 1.3sr as a first car when i was 17 (10 years ago)

loved how fun they were to drive :)

Alex J
31-05-12, 02:20 PM
like scrapping them, and making money out the rare ones.

pie
31-05-12, 02:46 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Alex J again :(

TeddyThom
31-05-12, 03:12 PM
Got offered one for silly money, so took it. Was my first car, and loved every second of it, completely stripped out four speed box, was nippy as anything. Cheap and cheerful motoring! Nice and cheap on the insurance and was also the only one in my town that was run everyday for quite a while.

Now I'm running my third one and that's still good, not as good as my mark 1... That is my biggest regret. Wish I had changed over the engine and painted it.

Jeff16v
31-05-12, 03:31 PM
My mates mum had one when i was 15, Nova Diamond. also my boss at 17 had one. Brought a black 1.2 merit - J376 CGO RIP -brand new in 1991 at 18 years old - 21 years ago:eek: after writing off my X reg Fiesta 1.1 pop

hotrod
31-05-12, 05:32 PM
like scrapping them, and making money out the rare ones.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Alex J again :(

Not too sure bout that alex j doing this only helps our cause by making them more rare!
Besides your 2nd hand parts have got to come from somewhere! ;)

phunkynova
31-05-12, 06:19 PM
I come home one night and found a Horses head on the pillow of my bed with a note next to is saying " BUY A NOVA OR ELSE" so I did. :d

Ok for real, Rallying, in club level rallying the car in its class in still very competitive dew to it's light weight shell and ease of getting good competition parts.

siegsi8v
05-06-12, 09:48 PM
30th birthday present.....after a full rebuild its never let me down.....but a vxr is calling soon.

turbojolt
05-06-12, 10:13 PM
no word of a lie i was walking to school and a black gsi with a massive exhaust on the back of a low loader going to the scrap yard down the road from me, that was the first one i had ever seen and i was hooked got back home from school and started looking about on the internet to find out more about them

Dayle_
06-06-12, 04:18 PM
The Mrs had a red 1.0 MK1 as her first car when I met her 7 years ago.

We then as you do had other cars including a concourse spec S2 RS Turbo that got nicked and never recovered. I said she was never allowed an RS again so I bought her a Nova with a C16XE in it. We spent 18 months making it road worthy and touch wood its been a good en ever since...... Although we have a baby due end of July sooooo it may have to go as she can't get in the bucket seats at the moment!!!

Bubba
06-06-12, 06:22 PM
i couldnt afford to run my gsi 4x4 daily, and it was not going to pass the MOT without a load of welding, and i had a choice between being able to run it/fix it, or living with my ex...and i told her if i had to get a small daily it HAD to be a nova...hence my dirty 12 door was found down the road for £150.

chris gsi
06-06-12, 11:00 PM
My brother in law bought a mk1 1.2 mistral new in 1989 and I loved it he had it the best part of 10 years and when I passed my test in 98 I got a d reg 1.3sr and have had loads since and just bought number nova number 8 as I missed the last one

novaload88
21-08-12, 06:52 PM
when i was a kid a lad round the corner paul had a breeze blue sr and when i heard it coming up the street me and my mate would always run to the window or end of the garden just to catch a glimse. knew from then i would have one when i was old enough

Yorkie
21-08-12, 09:44 PM
Needed a car so my poppy gave me his nova. loved it ever since.

Calamity Josh
21-08-12, 10:20 PM
got my first nova aged 11, and loved them ever since :)