PDA

View Full Version : Battery light wont illuminate and car wont turn off when ignition is off. HELP

NOVA BUF
30-05-12, 06:08 PM
hi, i have recently converted my 1.0litre nova to a 1.2. i have got the car running but for some reason my battery light on my clocks wont illuminate, i have the live battery wire to the big nut and the blue white wire to the smaller, the black alternator wire is also with the live. does anybone know whats happening,

also when i turn the key in the off position my car wont die, it just keeps running, not sure if this is the same problem, but can anyone help.

Jon_nova1
30-05-12, 06:50 PM
Only one wire goes to the battery, if the black wire your talking about is around half the thickness of the live it goes to the bracket as an earth from the alternator, if you take the blue/white wire and earth it, it should come on with ignition on. if it does then your current alternator wiring isn't right.

The alternator light works from sending a positive feed through the light and it being earthed through the alternator, when you start the car the earth that was keeping the light lit goes out as it is now converted to a live as it is putting out more charge than the battery, essentially making the original live that comes through the dashboard less powerful than whats being given back when the cars running, hence your light goes out.

for your second problem (running carb) you have your coil live feed permanent when it should be ignition live

mowgli
30-05-12, 07:23 PM
on a 1.0, it has a ballast resistor wire from the ign to the 6v coil(its the clear one)

the problem with this setup is that when cranking over, the coil doesn't get enough voltage to power it up, so they had an extra wire from an extra terminal on the starter solenoid to the coil. this wire is black. it is completely redundant on all other novas. it should be removed.

did you swap the coil to the 1.2 type as well?? you must. then you need to follow the clear coated wire back to the ign barrel & replace it with normal wire.

this should fix a lot of your problems.

Southie
30-05-12, 08:38 PM
Mowgli please do a proper write up regarding the 1.0 and it's issues... I think it would save you time in the future repeating yourself and we can then just put a link up saying "CLICKYME" ;)

mowgli
30-05-12, 09:40 PM
Mowgli please do a proper write up regarding the 1.0 and it's issues... I think it would save you time in the future repeating yourself and we can then just put a link up saying "CLICKYME" ;)

CLICKYME (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?186784-electrical-issues-you-get-when-you-fit-a-larger-engine-in-a-1.0) lol

NOVA BUF
31-05-12, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the comments, they have slightly helped as i do now have a battery light, but when the engine starts the battery light stays on.

I have a permenant live to the alternator from the battrey
I have the thin blue and white wire to the alternator from the dials
I have a brown earth wire to the alternator from the steering rack mounting stud as my alternator bracket didnt seem to earth it for some reason.

mowgli
31-05-12, 07:25 PM
what state is your chassis earth strap?

NOVA BUF
01-06-12, 11:33 AM
my earth strap is good because the other week i had my own piece of wire going from under the head of the starter mounting bolt to the steering rack mounting stud and this was acting as my earth on the starter but I have now removed that wire as I found an earth strap in good condition and it starts the car fine.

Southie
01-06-12, 11:49 AM
MOWGLIME (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?186784-electrical-issues-you-get-when-you-fit-a-larger-engine-in-a-1.0) lol
That would of been more apt lol