PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 16 valve alternator bracket modification...

VauxMD
28-07-03, 04:48 PM
When you fit a 1.6 16 valve into a Nova you need to replace the crank pulley with that of a GSi Nova. This is to stop it touching the chassis. Therefore you need to use a GSi alternator, the problem is it doesn't quite line up with the pulley, I'm told.

Have any of you done this? Or have you come across a company that makes a modified alternator bracket?

These are all long-shots and making one isn't a big job but you never know do you...

Ben (lurk75)
28-07-03, 04:53 PM
Dave

i have seen it done both ways round, when i had mine fitted into the GSi we used the wide vee belt pulley off the XEL.

Thsi was very awkward for fitting etc and a swine to swap and get too, the engine i have just bought has the narrow belt and has the bottom pulley changed, this seems to fit well. (this is the altenator im giving to you)

Ben

brian
29-07-03, 12:55 AM
as ben said it can be used with the wider pully. its only a small block engine after all. i never had a problem with the wider pully.

Dicko
29-07-03, 01:09 AM
few options..

use the corsa alt but mod the top bracket so its ajustable (easy if u have a welder) then just get a suitable belt.

other option is to mod the nova alt as iv done. elongate the 2 main bolt holes as much as poss, this will get you 4mm, next gring off the lip on th front side of the alt where the bolt goes through, then fot a load of washers behind the alt, but so the bottom securing bolt goes through the washers, this will get you another 5-10mm across. mine is just about spot on now. there is nowhere that sells a bracket yet!!!

o ye somebody told me that the corsa GLS has a bracket u can use for a nova alt that kicks it across enough, but i dont get why as its not a 16v so shudnt need to be further out?

lemme know if u get stuck!!

if u use the nova alt u will need a 975a belt from halfords ;)

if you need any more help feel free to pm or mail me (m.dickinson@online-bills.com)

there are alot of differnt ways of doing various things with these engines. i belive you are fitting throttle bodies?

VauxMD
29-07-03, 05:19 PM
Thanks all,

We know about the crank pulley, and it is easier to change the belt. Dicko, your solution was the same as mine but I'm determined to make it cleaner if possible.