PDA

View Full Version : track day info.

Rickyb
27-05-12, 01:54 PM
hi all im looking at doing a trackday at aintree in the near future and was woundering do you HAVE to have some form of track insurance on the car? as the car wont be being used on the road and it will be on the trailer between my garage and the track.
the main problem im having is for me to insure the car on the road with engine conversion, uprated suspesion alloys etc etc they want £2300 off me so i just thought of using it for trackdays.
also im running a standard e16se that im going to strip/check and clean before it goes back in but what oil should i run on a trackday car?
kind regards rick

brucer
27-05-12, 02:07 PM
cant comment on the other stuff, but id use millers nanaodrive oil. its a performance oil so would need changing more often but its low friction so possible chance of gaining some more ponies.

bruce

Rickyb
27-05-12, 03:20 PM
Thanks Bruce any Info is good info at the min I'm a complete novice when it comes to track days lol

Stuart
27-05-12, 03:29 PM
Insurance isn't needed and most have a stupid excess anyway meaning you won't claim. It's a gentlemans agreement that you go knock for knock if you hit someone unless its blatantly your fault.

Read dans Trackday article (it's on he last page iirc) for other info

Iain
27-05-12, 05:03 PM
Nah no insurance needed if you keep it in the garage, trailer it and just use it on track. I think they need to have an MOT or be "MOT worthy" although nobody checks.

mowgli
27-05-12, 05:45 PM
just use normal oil & then change it after every event

change your gear oil & brake fluid too.

Rickyb
27-05-12, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info,
So if I accidentally spun it and hit something expensive like a Porsche etc what would happen about that? As I didn't have insurance they couldn't claim so how would there car get fixed?

turbojolt
27-05-12, 08:48 PM
Would he not be better off with 5 dot brake fluid aswell

MK999
27-05-12, 08:54 PM
Would he not be better off with 5 dot brake fluid aswell

5.1 if anything, have to have specific material fittings, lines etc with dot 5 as it eats things.

edit: although most 'race' fluids are dot 4 as far as I'm aware, and brake cooling is far more effective than just having uber fluid.

richi
27-05-12, 09:04 PM
as said before there's a gentleman's agreement, I could be wrong but you usually sign a disclaimer before going on the track saying you and others are taking the risk of going on a track so if you smashed into another car im pretty sure there isn't anything they could do about it claim wise.
not saying crashes don't happen but usually its because someone is doing a stupid overtake etc if you spin off nobody is usually near you pal,

Rickyb
27-05-12, 09:56 PM
Ok thanks for that richi it sets my mind at ease abit lol
And yes I was going for braided break lines etc and swag fluid was a question for later as its easy to muddle my mind with to many things
Thanks for your comments it's helped a lot and if you think you might have any more info that might be usefull just let me know,( god knows I need it) haha

turbojolt
27-05-12, 10:04 PM
Don't worrie about crashing into someone be worried about blowing your engine and or gearbox to bits and not being able to get home :)

MK999
27-05-12, 10:37 PM
Don't worrie about crashing into someone be worried about blowing your engine and or gearbox to bits and not being able to get home :)

yeah getting home would be an issue since the original question was do I need insurance for a trailered car lol

Rickyb
27-05-12, 10:41 PM
Rep will be added lmao, yeah getting it around won't be a problem as Il be using me trailer lol although I might temp insure it so I can run it in test it etc

turbojolt
27-05-12, 10:45 PM
Yer well if the gear box and engine go (as we all know bad things come in threes) his tow car won't start!!

Good save irwin good save.

Stuart
28-05-12, 05:23 AM
I'd go for oem spec Mintex 5.1 fluid as its £3 a litre, take 2 bottles with and an easibleed. Job done if it boils on event :)

Rickyb
28-05-12, 11:06 AM
I'd go for oem spec Mintex 5.1 fluid as its £3 a litre, take 2 bottles with and an easibleed. Job done if it boils on event :)

Thanks mate I defo need all the info I can get lol no doubt il be back soon with more questions