PDA

View Full Version : anyone into old Landrovers?

Hobbit
26-05-12, 11:01 AM
My dad has an old series 3 lightweight, he's had it sat in the garage for years. He now has a dodgy leg so the clutch would be far too heavy for him to drive. So I'm looking at possibly getting it conveted to an auto, maybe with a big engine :d Anyone on here know of any easy(ish) conversions, or a decent forum to ask the same questions.

Nova-nation
26-05-12, 11:07 AM
Don't most people put 3.5/3.9 rover v8's in them? I'm sure you could find an easy enough conversion to do :)

bazil
26-05-12, 11:09 AM
My dad built a series 1 chassis ( 88" ) running a 3.5 Rover V8 and auto box for trials, so it's pretty common to do it,

Hobbit
26-05-12, 11:46 AM
3.5? That's barely bigger than the nova engine! lol

mowgli
26-05-12, 12:22 PM
discovery would be the bestest donor. the tdi or td5 with the auto box would make for a good motor. if you look hard enough, you can find landy wiring/service manuals on user forums.. i found a 90 series one once on an estonian forum for a workmate..

Royston
26-05-12, 12:36 PM
Straight forward to convert to V8/auto

You can also run the V8 or the 2 1/4 on LPG, cheaper, I run my Range Rover Classis on LPG, easy to convert

Just as a suggestion what about making the clutch pedal easier to press i.e.the clutch larger master cylinder ot some form of assistance?

Just finished putting mine back together again:roll:

The joys of LR ownership, but wouldn't have another 4x4lol

Must be mad:tard:

burgo
26-05-12, 03:56 PM
lexus v8 :D so easy to do and is the auto you require already

Hobbit
26-05-12, 04:57 PM
How easy? That would be a nice conversion :)

Ron
26-05-12, 08:23 PM
i would buy a donor land rover with v8 and auto box in it and you could simply swap engine and box and you should most bits needed instead of buying an engine and not having every thing

Ron
26-05-12, 08:26 PM
didnt tvr do a 4.6 litre of the rover v8 as well or 3.5 on a carb and supercharge it :)

Royston
26-05-12, 09:17 PM
Range Rover P38 (2nd generation) was available with 4.6, can be a problematic engine, porous liners/slipping liners.

3.9 is a safer bet unless you know your buying a later Cosworth cast block 4.0/4.6 (yes Coscast)

Some late 3.9 suffer from similar issues (talking from personal experience with my 94 Classic)

Rover V8 can be bored/stroked to @ 5.2 litres, my long tem plan for my Classic

thespannerman
26-05-12, 10:28 PM
only just seen this!yes it needs a disco v8 donor! i suppose if you wanted to diesel it a disco 300tdi and autobox may go in, havnt heard of that before though..disco auto diesels are a bit sluggish setting off!

erm yeah v8 the **** out of it!! lol

burgo
26-05-12, 10:41 PM
How easy? That would be a nice conversion :)

its only 10-12 very simple wires to connect as the engine loom is self contained like the vaux ones. Also the auto box ecu is a part of the engine ecu so that doesnt need any extra wiring. also they are old enough to not need cats, very small light and compact engine and very small box.

pie
26-05-12, 11:28 PM
on the jeep topic

any one know how to tighten the steering box on a discovery?

steering is sloppy its like those america films were they turning the steering while goin straight f lol lol lol

burgo
26-05-12, 11:29 PM
i was lead to believe that is a part of the "charm" and "character" of landies. at least i know the brand new defenders i used to drive had that

bazil
26-05-12, 11:39 PM
A disco handles just aswell as a small boat lol

On my dads 110 defender he uprated to 130 ARB's and the result was awesome

pie
26-05-12, 11:42 PM
lol bazil

steviegsi
27-05-12, 01:21 AM
on the jeep topic

steering is sloppy its like those america films were they turning the steering while goin straight f lol lol lol

I think it's Like that for a reason, like when driving over a field/up a mountain/invading a country etc so there's a bit of slack to stop the wheel pulling the driver about the interior.

Asa-James
27-05-12, 09:25 AM
from time to time we work on a 110, with a mk2 range rover v8 and auto box fitted and running on LPG. very tidy looking conversion

mowgli
27-05-12, 01:00 PM
the last of the disco 2's had some clever adaptive arbs & they cornered incredibly well..

a chap i know (he used to work for us) tried to fit a 300tdi + auto into a series 2. he stopped when he found out the disco driveshafts needed modifying to fit the landrover wheelbase... then ended up ripping it all out before i had chance to wire it in for him.

Angus Closier
27-05-12, 05:58 PM
Just about every engine has been rammed into these, the ladder chassis and large amounts of room make it very easy.

when looking at engines if you stay within the land rover range you can take the axles (diffs etc) from the new stuff aswell (Bit wider but flexi arches sort that) with not much hassle.

Nothing worse than 200 or 300 tdi or rover v8's being on the standard diffs and axles.

For the series lots of people use 3.9efi v8 with axles and diffs etc from the later RR classics, this gives you something sensible to drive (IE more like a RR)

The 2 1/4 is really not that bad an engine tbh. I would rather sort other issues out before the engine.

Hobbit
27-05-12, 07:18 PM
Its more the issue of making it an auto so the pops can drive it, he still wants it to look like an army jeep on the outside . Rover v8 with auto box seems like the easiest option but reading into it i might have trouble getting it to work with the series transfer box.

mowgli
27-05-12, 07:20 PM
hobbit, swap the whole transmission including transfer box. the driveshafts should fit..

Hobbit
27-05-12, 07:26 PM
As said finding a v8 range rover as a donor seems the best option.

nevidred
27-05-12, 08:18 PM
range rover/discovery ZF hp22 auto box is to long for the 88" chassis ,you would have to move the engine forwards 11" or you end up with a rear prop 8" long and if you move the engine forwards no room for rad other problem with the transvere box fitted to the auto boxes are permanent 4wd and the series front axle isnt fitted withcv,s
i work with landrovers on a daily basis and have done many engine /gearbox conversions
if its just the clutch to heavy you could try a remote brake servo from a 80s bmw done this with great results (light clutch) if you wanted to go the auto route a good conversion is the ford V6 with auto and a steve parker or ashcroft transmisions convershion kit to fit to the landrover transvere box comes with mounts for engine as well bolt in

nevidred
27-05-12, 08:20 PM
I forgot to mention you will find loads of info on LR4X4.com landyzone Devon4x4 forums

thespannerman
27-05-12, 09:37 PM
the last of the disco 2's had some clever adaptive arbs & they cornered incredibly well..

a chap i know (he used to work for us) tried to fit a 300tdi + auto into a series 2. he stopped when he found out the disco driveshafts needed modifying to fit the landrover wheelbase... then ended up ripping it all out before i had chance to wire it in for him.

my mate has just removed the ACE system from his d2......good but expensive to repair, hes fitted a conversion to old skool arb system, doesnt feel much different!!

wondered why noone had done the 300tdi/auto conversion in a series!lol

Hobbit
27-05-12, 09:40 PM
cheers for the info :)

thespannerman
27-05-12, 09:42 PM
on the jeep topic

theres a backlash adjustment on the top of the steering box,crack it off and adjust the allen screw in the middle of it.just dont go mad, itll pop seal and start to stick!!not good, once adjusted they seem to keep adjusting themselves!mines been adjusted a few times putting the job off but now its time! it doesnt have steering, just an aim assistance system!lol

ive got two to rebuild, mines about nackered!!wanderes all over the place, just been given two to rebuild and keep one for mine!! resultĀ£300 + new lol lol