PDA

View Full Version : price of a turbo

novalew
25-05-12, 10:28 PM
now i know its not an easy transplant but you can get a z20let for half the price and half the miles of a c20let, now i know it needs standalone but surely its a viable option these days

Angus Closier
25-05-12, 10:39 PM
Yes there are a few people doing this now, yes its viable.........

C20LET's are over priced IMO

But get a Z20LET and a decent ECU (omex / DTA etc) and its not going to be far off the same price although one is much newer than the next....

plenty of info about the swaps out there and a few build threads...

novalew
25-05-12, 10:41 PM
yeah i've been having a look, mine will be a long term project so i'm just weighing all options up, would megasquirt be ok to use?

Angus Closier
25-05-12, 11:00 PM
yeah i've been having a look, mine will be a long term project so i'm just weighing all options up, would megasquirt be ok to use?

Yes.

But why? IMO unless you have a really good understanding of DIY tuning its not worth it. It might look cheaper to start with but unless your going to map it yourself I wouldn't bother.

Find somthing that your local (or preferred) tuning company is competent in tuning.

I would recommend Omex or DTA unless you are willing to build / add extras to the MS starter kits but seeing as you are asking these questions I am guessing you are not.

Talk to the tuner you will use and ask them what they recommend.

Mieran
25-05-12, 11:36 PM
Remember this, just because its newer it doesn't mean its better.

novalew
26-05-12, 02:03 AM
Remember this, just because its newer it doesn't mean its better.

of course i fully appreciate that, as i have time on my hands i want to look at all possible routes. i will be making sure the car is tip top before any engine goes in anyway