PDA

View Full Version : advice - help on my suspension for my turreted gte

Vinny-NOVA
25-05-12, 06:50 PM
Having a nightmare!!! The turrets on my gte seem to have been done properly however the extension modification that has been done to rear beam to house shocks is poor (the welding side) as I’m told by my mechanic.

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii501/vinny-jones/novagte4.jpg

poor welding can be seen here -

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii501/vinny-jones/problempic.jpg

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii501/vinny-jones/rearstrutimage.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Also how do I get suspension to fit the modifications?

As you can see I don’t have a clue and am really struggling….

mowgli
25-05-12, 06:56 PM
turreting like that is for rear coilovers. you appear to be fitting stock type springs & dampers.

what was the original seller planning to fit?

Jon_nova1
25-05-12, 07:03 PM
i think he's talking about where the plate on the shock meets the modification, the weld wasn't powerful enough to even make the steel melt a little so you have little penetration, i would suggest either finding someone with an industrial mig or find someone with a hobby arc welder and go over the welds.

But on another note if the fitter of the mod extended the channel he used to the end of the beam it would look and be alot more structurally sound

Vinny-NOVA
25-05-12, 07:10 PM
i think he's talking about where the plate on the shock meets the modification, the weld wasn't powerful enough to even make the steel melt a little so you have little penetration, i would suggest either finding someone with an industrial mig or find someone with a hobby arc welder and go over the welds.

But on another note if the fitter of the mod extended the channel he used to the end of the beam it would look and be alot more structurally sound

Yes, thats what I meant, thanks. Was going to fit gaz coilovers, but after my mate telling me of the poor welding/modification held off until I get more advice. Any chance you could help or have a look Jon? I always seem to have bad luck with everything!!!!

Vinny-NOVA
25-05-12, 07:12 PM
turreting like that is for rear coilovers. you appear to be fitting stock type springs & dampers.

what was the original seller planning to fit?

He said coilovers as he was going to rally car.

Benn
25-05-12, 07:14 PM
A good even hobby welder should be able to weld well enough on to the beam, get the mounts welded on the beam better...

Vinny-NOVA
25-05-12, 07:19 PM
Love this car to death, but my mate reckoned I had bought problems, blagged me to the point of selling it... Just wish more nova freaks lived closer to help!!!

Vinny-NOVA
25-05-12, 08:33 PM
So with regards to suspension, will I have to get some specially made? Thanks

pottersrebel
25-05-12, 09:12 PM
So with regards to suspension, will I have to get some specially made? Thanks no mate u just need ur current brackets remaking and welding properly like some one has said before u just need a good hobby welder and it`ll be sorted. :thumb:

mowgli
25-05-12, 10:41 PM
He said coilovers as he was going to rally car.

i must have been reading a different thread to you...

the pics show a stock setup with modifications & the op did not mention coilovers..

Vinny-NOVA
26-05-12, 09:02 AM
i must have been reading a different thread to you...

the pics show a stock setup with modifications & the op did not mention coilovers..

Thought you asked what the previous owner was going to fit? The original suspension was just put back on so the shell could be rolling for collection. But also wanted advice on the welding bracket housing as it was very poor. Apologies for confusion.