PDA

View Full Version : An unusual problem?????

brake-dust
23-05-12, 08:10 PM
hello people been away for a little while as a few of you know but im now a free man and have walked back into a life filled with problems! ex misses has sold my beloved nova and her new parnter broke up my cav v6 using my account by the looks of things! anyway back to the present.... :cry:

My brother lent me a small sum of money to buy another car a few weeks ago, found a cheap car which i bought doing the usual of filling out the v5 doc and taking away with the new keepers slip, i insured the car no problem before purchase and happily drove away, however it appears the previous owner (which i had a run in with a few years ago but was all sorted) has reported the car stolen a few hours later claiming having 'the key' and the full log book, now im yet to be stopped by the police and i was told this by a mutual friend who doesn't want to get involved, how has this been possible????? i have a genuine vauxhall key and my new keepers slip along with obviously the car and valid insurance, what do i do?? i was told he never had a spare and as far as i know you can only have one log book, were does this leave me? do i loose my money and car?

John

Mark
23-05-12, 08:15 PM
Did you get a receipt?

brake-dust
23-05-12, 08:17 PM
no im afraid not, never done with any cars to be honest.

MARTIN KELSON
23-05-12, 08:20 PM
What V5 have you got?
New style red one or the old blue/green one?

All logbooks are in the process of being changed due to stolen batch of blanks few years ago.
Most cars at some point will have two if the old one isn't destroyed by the owner.

Mark
23-05-12, 08:22 PM
no im afraid not, never done with any cars to be honest.

Bit late now, but for future reference always get a receipt no matter who from and make sure it's timed and dated.

Mark
23-05-12, 08:22 PM
What V5 have you got?
New style red one or the old blue/green one?

All logbooks are in the process of being changed due to stolen batch of blanks few years ago.
Most cars at some point will have two if the old one isn't destroyed by the owner.

No V5, only the green slip.

Mark
23-05-12, 08:23 PM
Did anyone accompany you, or was there anyone else present?

brake-dust
23-05-12, 08:24 PM
i only have the new keepers slip but i think it was a blue/ green one, and yea should of done the receipt but im not sure it would stand up as evidence??? as im sure i could of made a written one.

John

brake-dust
23-05-12, 08:25 PM
yes my brother and a friend, and it was outside some houses which is were i assume he lives and he had no one else there.

John

Mark
23-05-12, 08:27 PM
The receipt should always be signed buy you and the other party.

Witnesses always help especially if you can retell details of the sale as proof that you were there and it was a willing sale.

MARTIN KELSON
23-05-12, 08:29 PM
Maybe he also has the 'new' type red one & thats why he will try to claim stolen.

brake-dust
23-05-12, 08:34 PM
looks that way martin, any idea were i stand? do i have to give him the car back? will i be arrested??

MARTIN KELSON
23-05-12, 08:37 PM
Not sure how you stand legally.
Sure Police will have accriss this before with two types of V5 floating about.
Don't suppose you HPI'd it as that now tells you what log book serial number relates to the car.

kent14sr
23-05-12, 08:39 PM
V5 is never proof of ownership hence importance of a receipt signed by both parties.

It would probably help if there was a bank statement (for your brother etc) showing the money being withdrawn.

MK999
23-05-12, 08:39 PM
Where did the money come from? If you've made a large cash withdrawal shortly before the purchase that may well help your case as a piece of black/white documentation as evidence.

Edit: How dare that guy above beat me by mere seconds.

brake-dust
23-05-12, 08:42 PM
to be honest i doubt there will be a bank statement as he generally draws his wages out as soon as they go in weekly, he's like me, doesnt have direct debits does everything by cash.

John

MK999
23-05-12, 08:44 PM
bank statement from your side, showing a withdrawal, not his side showing a deposit.

Southie
23-05-12, 08:45 PM
If you've got the green slip then take this to a local dvla and put it in your name, surely if he's got the rest of the logbook it shows that you've not stolen it and are in a legitimate sale.
You've the keys also and if you've had people accompany you then I'm sure you've the better grounds to prove its yours, without the green slip you'd be knackered though.

Good luck on this as I suspect this sort of thing nowadays is quite popular :(

brake-dust
23-05-12, 08:57 PM
however if the green slip was from the old log book would this still stand? if he does have two which im assuming he does is the old one still a valid doc?

Southie
23-05-12, 09:03 PM
Well still take it to the DVLA and ask them the question, you've the keys so worth a punt... other wise weigh the thing in for satisfaction lol [joke]

brake-dust
23-05-12, 09:08 PM
lol he wont have it back in one peice!