PDA

View Full Version : Sticky valves ???

bazil
22-05-12, 10:42 PM
So I'm rebuilding my XE, there were some marks on the piston surfaces on no 2+3 now I am doing the head and when removing the exhaust valves on 2+3 they were very tight to come out, infact required a gentle tap with a hammer and drift,

No 1+4 slide out easy peasy,

Question is, do I replace only the sticky ones with new valves and guides or do all 16?

Opinions please.

Novasport
22-05-12, 10:48 PM
May as well do them all whilst it is apart.

Will F
23-05-12, 11:04 AM
Sounds like they are bent to me! Did you have it running before you stripped it?

'Sticky' valves shouldnt need hammering out!

GRUNT 16V
23-05-12, 01:39 PM
as above they sound as if the have a slight kink in them

bazil
23-05-12, 01:52 PM
Sounds like they are bent to me! Did you have it running before you stripped it?

'Sticky' valves shouldnt need hammering out!

No mate, I bought the engine, box, loom, ecu , shafts in 2003 for £300 out of a stripped Astra GTE, never quite got round to using it untill now lol
I knew at that price something would have been wrong,

as above they sound as if the have a slight kink in them

As soon as the area where the collets sit got to the valve guide they jammed, normal valve operation lenght moved freely though. I also tested with water. When I removed the cams I turned the head upside down and filled the valve ares with water, after a short time the dribbles of water started coming out the exhaust ports on no3 so the valves were not even seating properly,