PDA

View Full Version : GTE/GSI buying guide

b943weg
22-05-12, 10:06 PM
Hello people, I had a few 1.2 Novas when I started driving, but that was over 10 years ago. I wanted a GTE/GSI but my budget couldn't manage it at the time. When funds improved, I bought boring German saloons to be sensible. Well, the Nova itch never went away, and thats it...I've made my mind up...I'm having a Nova GTE/GSI as my weekend toy.:)

What advice can people offer me when looking at them? I know all the places to look for rust on 'em, and the normal car buying stuff, but what should I look out for on GTE/GSI's in particular? Certain engine codes bad/good news? Common faults? Desireable/rare features I should want? I want a car with the original engine and 'box.

Any help or tips appreciated!

7ova
22-05-12, 10:16 PM
gte's are a bit lower in price than gsi's
and good luck finding a original clean nova GSI

Andy
22-05-12, 11:27 PM
Make sure its genuine,lots of folk (on here aswell) pass bollox base models off as gsi/gte's.

b943weg
23-05-12, 01:13 PM
Is there any other way to tell if its genuine other than checking the V5 and matching engine/chassis numbers? Are these models the only one with tilt/slide sunroofs for example?

mowgli
23-05-12, 09:35 PM
turret top plates are a good sign of a gte/gsi.

the other signs are hidden, as they are shell strengtheners for rallying..

its down to trim, pulling up carpet to see what colour it is underneath, has it got an oe fuel pump/pipes setup?

large soundproofing pad on the engine bulkhead.

the sunroof is a pretty good sign, but some were made without it.

basically, get some piccy's, post them up on here & then ask lots of questions.

Mike
23-05-12, 09:38 PM
HPi check it & if its gen it'll come back as a Nova GSi 1600 or some shiz like that.

bazil
23-05-12, 09:41 PM
The drivers side chassis leg at the front is double skinned as mowgli says, also trim plate have lots of numbers on them lol
The V5 WILL say GTE or GSI on it

GTE trim options code plate looks like this
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/random2/48c47804.jpg

GSI trim code plate looks like this
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/random2/160b99da.jpg