PDA

View Full Version : FIA Bolt in cage

angusl2006
20-05-12, 10:31 PM
Appologies if this is in the wrong section...

I have a 6 point bolt in cage in my nova rally car, the harnesses are mounted onto hooks in the floor, what im asking is can i weld an extra bar onto the cage that would go between the rear mounts so i can attach the harnesses to this instead of the floor?

A few friends have been told by scrutineers to mount the harnesses higher so there is less of an angle off there shoulders to the harness mount.

Does the cage need to be checked after like a full weld in does?

Any advice would be apprecited.

MK999
20-05-12, 10:59 PM
Weld it across between the struts, rather than on the cage... then it's a strut brace, and you have no issues with checking the cage design :)

BRoadGhost
20-05-12, 11:35 PM
Can't see the beef with having them mounted to the o.e belt eye holes; the guff that came with my harnesses said it's the ideal angle.

burgo
20-05-12, 11:47 PM
i always thought 45 degrees was the correct angle in relation to the harness holes but apparently its between 0 and 20 degrees

nevidred
21-05-12, 07:11 AM
you can do it but check the blue book as there is a minimum requirment for thickness and material

angusl2006
21-05-12, 07:56 PM
There is strut brace welded in, but not suitable to attatch the harnesses onto, could attack it and weld in a new section to mount on to, wont be very neat tho. I have Roll cage bar sitting its just if i could weld onto the cage then id take it to my local engineer who would do it alot neater than me, or so i hope!

Will try and dig out the blue book and see what it says!

Thanks

Dave A
23-05-12, 02:42 PM
There are lots of new regs around this in the blue book. It has to meet exact material specs, mm thickness etc. Then if the cage is certified it will invalidate the certificate, however if it is built to the spec in hte blue book, so long as it meets one there drawings it should be ok! Damn confusing now, best bet though is to check with a local scrutineer, he should be able to give you chapter and verse.

angusl2006
23-05-12, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the info Dave!

Will sit and have a hard think about it with a beer in the sun this evening!