PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglas.......love it or hate it?

yellow_seh
20-05-12, 02:32 PM
I personally cannot stand the stuff, to me fiberglass always looks like fiberglass no matter how well it's prepped and painted, that and the fact it weak as hell and horrible to work with I steer well clear.

Stuart
20-05-12, 02:59 PM
Are you drunk?

I work with composite cars day in day out and they look the same as metal bodied cars.... Unless the carbon is deliberately left on show lol

yellow_seh
20-05-12, 03:09 PM
Wasn't talking about carbon fiber I mean actual fiberglass.

Stuart
20-05-12, 03:10 PM
It's the "same" thing in the grand scheme of things, it's some sort of fabric reinforcing a plastic.

Or do you mean that you have seem bare csm painted lol

turbojolt
20-05-12, 03:54 PM
It's cheap and its light what's the problem with it?

yellow_seh
20-05-12, 03:56 PM
Regardless if they are both a plastic reinforced Polymer they are both very different, fiber glass is weak and brittle, to achieve any sort of strength the panel would have to much thicker than it's carbon fiber counterpart, putting aside the construction and make up of it fiberglass I'd bloody horrible to work with lol

turbojolt
20-05-12, 04:01 PM
You sound like a man that's just had a car back from a mot and his lodged fiberglass sills were rumbled lol

Stuart
20-05-12, 04:56 PM
You sound like a man that's just had a car back from a mot and his lodged fiberglass sills were rumbled lol

For once you speak sense lol

Benn
20-05-12, 06:28 PM
If it's prepped right you wouldn't know the diff over a metal panel.

16xe_chris
21-05-12, 07:05 AM
I work with it and I funking love it lol

Runways are now being fitted with fibreglass manhole covers as they are a 1 man lift compared to steel.

Expect to see fibreglass covers being used very soon on the main roads with grit added.

Shell fuel tanks under the ground at the forecourt are fibreglass.

It's all down to how it's being made ;-)

steviegsi
26-05-12, 06:08 PM

Flol