PDA

View Full Version : Any way to check engine number?

Dave.
19-05-12, 12:52 AM
In the process of sending my logobook off to DVLA to notify them ive fitted a C20XE (yes you heard me right, im telling them! lol) and just wondering if theirs any way i can check the engine number against anything to make sure its not a "hookie" engine? It wasnt registered in the Nova i removed it from and last thing i want is a nock from Pc Plod asking where my XE is because its outstanding stolen from 1998 lol, just want to cover my **** :thumb:

mowgli
19-05-12, 08:39 AM
kissy, simply add a random digit to the end of the number.

dc1984
19-05-12, 08:46 AM
The number should be on the front of the block where it meets the gearbox, near the dipstick;)

(sorry mate, never read your post rite there lol)

Benn
19-05-12, 08:59 AM
Far as i know you cant trace them...

mowgli
19-05-12, 09:51 AM
if a copper wanted to be really pedantic, they could put in a trace, which is why adding something like an x to the end of the no. stops a computer flagging it up, cos computers are thick.

Benn
19-05-12, 04:00 PM
if a copper wanted to be really pedantic, they could put in a trace, which is why adding something like an x to the end of the no. stops a computer flagging it up, cos computers are thick.

Can they trace them them? As most lets are hand numberd, mines mostly 0's cant remember why not...

Andy
19-05-12, 04:34 PM
Course they can trace them,theyre on the v5 so if a certain reg car is stolen,the reg,the vin and eng numbers are stolen also!
They will only stay on record for a select period of time though.
Put it this way,if you got found to be in posession of a stolen engine from 2001 for example i cant for any reason see why you would be liable to any sort of legal proceedings.