BRoadGhost
18-05-12, 07:14 PM
Mine might be a little lower than that

mowgli
18-05-12, 07:14 PM
ahh. the one on airbags...

mowgli
18-05-12, 07:15 PM
to be honest, if your chassis legs get any worse, yours will look like that too....lol

MK999
18-05-12, 07:16 PM
I lowered mine more than that a while ago.

It was on a beavertail at the time and I wanted the suspension to roll my other shell around on lol

novadave24
18-05-12, 07:21 PM
lol i know but i hope it dont lol

EwanG
18-05-12, 07:35 PM
Has anyone on her got a nova on here as low as this think it looks good :thumb:

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o585/novadave24/IMG_0305.jpg?t=1337364670
That low would be undrivable lol. Looks cool though :cool:.

AndrewJenkins
18-05-12, 07:37 PM
That low would be undrivable lol. Looks cool though :cool:.

not undrivable just would need perfectly flat road and going staight ahead only lol

novadave24
18-05-12, 07:45 PM
i think all it needs is smooth bumpers and gte kit :)

Angus Closier
18-05-12, 09:38 PM
I think it looks :tard:

bazil
18-05-12, 09:52 PM
1. I don't see the attraction
2. Looks stupid

peester
18-05-12, 09:56 PM
tut. anything on air looks good, particularly the euro/ratty/oem+ stuff. Only competition/motorsport spec. cars wouldnt, of course.

BRoadGhost
18-05-12, 10:23 PM
Yeah I hate how all these look & no doubt would "handle" like a piece of sh1t because nothing that low could drive properly... :roll: I am right in saying that aren't I quart composer?

http://shop.simonlewis.com/ekmps/shops/simonlewis/images/vauxhall-vectra-john-cleland-btcc-thruxton-1996-3512-p.jpg

http://m.supertouringregister.com/image/865.jpg

http://pics.imcdb.org/0is256/cavalierg.3884.jpg

Cue the insinuated backlash of how those were "engineered by a team of expects with hundreds of thousands of pounds" and there's absolutely no possibility of anyone else outside of that environment being able to produce something similar for the road.

turbojolt
18-05-12, 10:30 PM
That cav looks tucking epic

bazil
18-05-12, 10:31 PM
Have you seen the roads in Renfrewshire ? A car that low would run a ground in some places,

Track car yes
Road car, pointless

brainsnova
18-05-12, 10:32 PM
Novas that low remind me when you remove all the springs and shocks on the way to the scrapyard lol

BRoadGhost
18-05-12, 10:39 PM
Why is it pointless?

turbojolt
18-05-12, 10:42 PM
Why is it pointless?

Speedbumps lol

BRoadGhost
18-05-12, 10:45 PM
That red cav would get over a speed bump

turbojolt
18-05-12, 10:53 PM
I don't understand how the wheels even turn when there tucked that far inside the arches????? Clearly they do but I don't get it lol

novadave24
18-05-12, 10:58 PM
Maybe people like rubbing noise lol

bazil
18-05-12, 11:55 PM
Why is it pointless?

Speedbumps, multi storey car parks, 3 point turn, carrying people in the back, getting stuff from B+Q

So many cons,
Pro's? You get " Yo bro your ride looks sick innit " compliments from the pond life at McD's car parks.

paul james
19-05-12, 12:57 AM
Lowering a car to the point where its detrimental to handling on actual roads is the same kind of daft modification as tinting the windows so dark you can't see out of them properly, or having a stupidly massive big bore exhaust with multiple pipes on a 1.0, its all show and no go. I'd rather have a car that serves its purpose as an actual car, rather than an unuseable ornament. I've never understood this obsession people have that wheels must be hiding half way into the wheel arches, it just looks broken.

mowgli
19-05-12, 08:38 AM
the red btcc car is from the days when they had a minimum ride height, and when they pulled into the puts after a session, the scrutineers would pull them in randomly to drive over a 3" block

the later ones were from the era when money was god & they had to look like hotwheels toys, but they were certainly fast & spectaculer.

the op pic is of a show car. it also has a welded chain steering wheel iirc, both are classic mexican lowrider mods, low & slow etc...

unfortunately, there are lots of kids round here with really low cars on mega stiff springs, including the metrognomes, in their rover 100's with the fluid drained out, their heads bobbing up & down like a churchill rear shelf toy.. they are naturally declining, due to the large amounts of skid marks & floral tributes on roundabouts, these are the cars that suffer from terminal understeer(literally)

i used to work with a hotrodder who had a 400hp yb powered hillman husky van. it was so low, it had small castor wheels mounted into its sills so it could clear obstacles.. it was also incredibly fast on decent open roads...

Alex J
19-05-12, 10:01 AM
that car looks ****

BRoadGhost
19-05-12, 07:05 PM
The wheels at the front can have the arches over them because the geometry is such that to clear any corner on the circuit, that's all the room they need.

Lowering ride height doesn't have to mean you can't get shopping in B&Q, clear a speedbump, use a multistory carpark or do a three point turn. TBH some people would be lucky to even have a passenger, let alone more than one, even if there were seats in the back.

I don't think lowering a car that much is detrimental to it's handling or is just for show, in fact i'd say it's the opposite, providing it's done right.

"I'd rather have a car that serves its purpose as an actual car, rather than an unuseable ornament." Amen ~ And that purpose would be to drive it. The way the arches look in relation to the wheel is just form following function; if it was a saloon you'd be able to see more of the wheel.

Is a nova 3" from the ground too low then?

Edd
20-05-12, 11:53 AM
That nova looks utter crap

The cav looks ok, but you know there for competition use

Personally I prefer to actually have some suspension travel

Benn
20-05-12, 12:20 PM
I don't understand how the wheels even turn when there tucked that far inside the arches????? Clearly they do but I don't get it lol

Rear end it tubbed, with a big air drop system in it. I did have pics in the boot, but i cant find them. The tubbs where bigger than the ones Simps had made. I didn't drive that low.

Speedbumps, multi storey car parks, 3 point turn, carrying people in the back, getting stuff from B+Q

So many cons,
Pro's? You get " Yo bro your ride looks sick innit " compliments from the pond life at McD's car parks.

It's a "show car" simple as that. It does drive that low, it doesn't go shopping, it doesn't carry people (when set that low) It's done for the low at a show, nothing else.

I've set mine as low as i can go, but still drive able. I can go shopping in it, i've had 2 32"flat screen tvs in it, i've had 4 adults and KFC in it(rubbed a bit), i've had a xe engine block F20 and bits in the boot. And it's still drive able. Ok i cant go in a multi story car part in Scum as the ramps are very sharp so even with 2 people it the center box catches every ramp. And i don't have full lock on the steering but...

If i wasn't gonna do any of that id go lower.

novadave24
20-05-12, 12:35 PM
its just a good look to see a nova on the floor then a vw for once lol

Stuart
20-05-12, 03:09 PM
I don't think lowering a car that much is detrimental to it's handling or is just for show, in fact i'd say it's the opposite, providing it's done right.

There lies the issue.....
Most will just slam the crap out of a car with the cheapest nastiest coil overs they can and then not fix the issues such as geometry, driveshaft angles, steering arm angles and so on. That's where the claims of it won't handle right come from.
Bit like folks bitching about carbs always going out of tune, when in reality it's just badly setup in the first place.

Edd
20-05-12, 03:16 PM
Still even if you sort all that out the ride is going to be harsh because you won't have any travel

Not suitable for british roads therefore crap

Alex J
20-05-12, 03:40 PM
http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/overkill_tuned_vip_car_off_camber.jpg
bet this handles sick lol

Edd
20-05-12, 03:43 PM
All that needs is a VW badge to complete the nonsense look

GDN16v
20-05-12, 04:22 PM
All that needs is a VW badge to complete the nonsense look
lollollollollol

Stuart
20-05-12, 04:58 PM
Still even if you sort all that out the ride is going to be harsh because you won't have any travel

Not suitable for british roads therefore crap

Again, done properly you'd have sorted a decent quantity of travel if doing it properly.

Edd
20-05-12, 05:06 PM
No, if it's on the deck and you have any decent amount of travel you'll just smash the underside up

BRoadGhost
20-05-12, 08:12 PM
So what if that cavalier is used competitively; suggesting it wouldn't be useable on the road is utter nonsense.

These car's do have suspension travel. In believe it or not, the same way every other cnut does the instant they slap coilovers on their car.

What the ignorant cannot grasp no matter how many times it's said or even shown is the entire body [amongst other components] is reengineered to grant compliance.

You think an F1 car doesn't have sufficient strength / stroke to ride up & over a curb?

A harsh ride as you put it Edd will never come from such developed cars because the shell has the strength to translate the impact through more of itself, than some standard car with harder suspension.

That over cambered merc is nothing like the car's i've shown.

Why would you smash the underside of your car up, if you've got the clearance to get over a speedbump?

Stuart
20-05-12, 08:19 PM
So what if that cavalier is used competitively; suggesting it wouldn't be useable on the road is utter nonsense.

These car's do have suspension travel. In believe it or not, the same way every other cnut does the instant they slap coilovers on their car.

What the ignorant cannot grasp no matter how many times it's said or even shown is the entire body [amongst other components] is reengineered to grant compliance.

You think an F1 car doesn't have sufficient strength / stroke to ride up & over a curb?

A harsh ride as you put it Edd will never come from such developed cars because the shell has the strength to translate the impact through more of itself, than some standard car with harder suspension.

That over cambered merc is nothing like the car's i've shown.

Why would you smash the underside of your car up, if you've got the clearance to get over a speedbump?

Don't worry, Edd would invent use cases that would never happen to justify a point of view lol

Vx's and Elise's frequently run 90mm of ground clearence on the road with no issues, some even try 60mm but have to be coy about speed bumps but they understand the complications of doing so.

The Simps
29-05-12, 11:27 PM
What people don't realise is that when you lower a car you alter the centre of gravity in relation to the roll centre. Past a point it actually creates more body roll and thats the reason you need to run stiffer springs. If you do the right changes to your suspension components to control the two centres you can run softer springs. I've just spent good money on my 200sx to do exactly this. I have my coilovers on softest setting and nothing crazy spring wise and theres very little roll but its compliant on bumps. In comparison to the breaker 200sx I bought that just had coilovers, good quality ones too, and slammed low but still not as low as mine - it drove crap!!

I'm on Broadghosts side but agree that for most road cars that are "slammed" theres very little thought to performance its more for looks, like stupid camber just for stance & lows.

MK999
29-05-12, 11:29 PM
Someone's been edjumacating themselves lol

When do I get to tear this 200sx apart anyway, you never call, you never write :(

The Simps
29-05-12, 11:42 PM
Oh very soon my friend! I went and cleared the workshop out ready to jig the nova up and shaun put another car in! lol I'm looking at a july strip down realistically as away a lot in june.

Connor
30-05-12, 12:01 AM
Nova looks crap, only because its like standard bar the massive drop. Cav is cool.
And i would love to own a road going cav or anything remotely that low, but it would add 30mins to my journey dow my estate as it doesn't have speedbumps, there like mountains!! BUT there are people i know who run static drops lower that that nova and use them daily without major issue.

Count Vaux Alot
30-05-12, 12:01 AM
Interesting stuff.

PS It's all talk simps.

The Simps
30-05-12, 12:11 AM
PS It's all talk simps.

:p

honie5
30-05-12, 07:20 AM
Am I missing the point here? If that nova is on air then it's probley the most practical lowered car there is because you can raise it for speedbumps etc and have it set at a normal ride height for everyday driving! I think it looks cool and fair play for getting it that low!

DRAGRACER
30-05-12, 07:29 AM
If it is for track....it is great....but if it is for road....then to each ride you will replace oil pan....

Jack
30-05-12, 07:31 AM
I think anything that has wheels tucked right into the arches just looks broken, same goes for the cav tbh. Although the cav looks better than the Nova, but thats because its a race car on track. Neither would be any good on the roads round here though!

Anyway, that Nova just looks like a dog carpet surfing lol

DRAGRACER
30-05-12, 07:32 AM
Maybe he has air suspensions......so as long as it is parked....it has a great look!!!