PDA

View Full Version : Leaking breather pipe.

marc69
17-05-12, 07:24 PM
The breather pipe which I unkinked the other day has a tiny leak from where it was kinked, This is just below where the breather joins the pipe for at the rear wing.

It is only loosing the odd drop and the tank has just been filled.

If this were just a road car I would probably not worry but as it is going on a track.....

Is there an easy way to prevent fuel coming out of this as although it is only a few drops, I am concerned that with someone racing behind me (probably about to overtake me!) that it could be dangerous.

Or is it likely that once the level in the tank has gone down a bit (It will be driven about 150 miles before it even reaches the track) that it will be too low to leak from there anyway?

Iain
18-05-12, 09:45 AM
The pipe that attaches to the filler neck?

You could cut it level with the leak, get some barbed connectors (13mm or something off ebay?) and extend it with some new pipe

marc69
18-05-12, 05:57 PM
Yes, it is that pipe.

I went out late and decided to do it, I firstly thought about ptting a pipe inside past where the leak is, jubilee clip it all to make sure it is tight before and after the kinked leak.
I pushed but the smaller pipe would not go past the leak so, I cut it, aha! (in an alan partridge way?)
The pipe is just a line of rubber wrapped round itself, then material then an outer rubber hose. The outer hose had burst as once the material was off I could see the rubber wrap had split completely.

I took my thinner hose, pushed it in a few inches past where I cut, jubileed it, took some of the cut hose that was good, attached it further up the new pipe, jubileed it. Blew through it to check it was air tight, blew fine and fuel went up over the filler neck so it works!, Connected it up to the pipe on the filler.

End of story, Hopefully.