PDA

View Full Version : C16SE Bogging Out / Backfire

Markd89
15-05-12, 09:41 PM
Cant get any power from my c16se, put foot on the throttle and it gasps for air and backfires out of the airfilter.

Anyone have any ideas, i have no fault codes when i flashed the ecu.

Timing is perfect at tdc
Earths all ok
No vac leaks

I'm having problem with fuel pumps recently, gone through 3 pumps they seem to get stuck randomly, thats 3 different pumps. I'm thinking of running an external fuel pump, i currently use a corsa sport / tigra fuel pump but they dont seem to last.
I'm running the fuel pump direct from a switch, havent had a problem in any of my c20xe corsas when i did this so wouldnt think a 1.6 nova would have a problem.

Thinking it may be fuel related but any ideas appreciated

BRoadGhost
16-05-12, 02:11 PM
Do a compression test. If all are equal & the engine isn't running excessively hot, it could be ignition related.

Adam
16-05-12, 07:23 PM
Is it a conversion?

What fuel setup is it? Intank pump?
Even though the manual fuel switch wont stop it from running, you really shouldnt run it that way. Asking for trouble if ever you have an accident or whatever.

Could be a dodgy coilpack

Markd89
16-05-12, 08:26 PM
It is a conversion from a 1.0
Its running an intank pump, the pumps where all from corsa / tigra 1.4 16v
The switch is only a temp measure just so i could get the engine up and running, once its running properly and have no problems it will be put on the ignition.

I'll also get a coilpack to eliminate that.

SRprojectKO
17-05-12, 10:29 PM
ive got a similar problem with my c16se, it runs well and pulls very well in 1st and 2nd gear, but it puts 10" flames out when changing gear on full chat. its swining fuel like no tommorrow and it doesnt want to go past 80/85mph. it seems to have an over run of fuel because if i dip the clutch and let off the the throttle at the same time it will go up 3/400rpm before it goes back down. i changed the injectors today to x14xe ones to try and stop the huge amount of fuel it likes to gulp down and its actually made the car more powerful and run smoother! but it was still stuck at 4000rpm doing just over 80mph on the way to work today. ive tried new map sensors, lamda, spark plugs, leads, coilpack, air filter, and various other sensors to try and combat the problem. the compression is as close to perfect as possible on every cylinder and the exhaust is in very good condition (scorpion stainless), standard manifold and downpipe.

when it was a standard 1.4 SR engine it was miles quicker and so much better on fuel. i sold it and bought the car back last year and the old carb motor has long gone unfortunatly!

MK999
17-05-12, 10:43 PM
Sounds like an air leak SR, the hanging on to revs and popping flames is actually lean running. I'd put the proper injectors back in it, and check for an air leak.

SRprojectKO
17-05-12, 10:56 PM
its got one of those absolutely rubbish and horrible cone filters on, ive yet to find a standard airbox for a nova and i couldnt get a corsa one to fit properly so that aint helping, but im averaging around 20/25 mpg at the moment and its killing me financially. im spending £95 a week just to travel to work and back! cheers, never thought about an air leak, but it idle's and runs perfect apart from the lack of power above 60mph! my mate over took me in his 12v corsa C the other day! im gutted!