PDA

View Full Version : What can be wrong?

devonskippy
14-05-12, 11:56 AM
After almost three months of ownership, my 1988 1.3SR has developed a faultthat I can't fathom!

Driving along the motorway (at a sensible speed) and it cuts out thencarries on running then stops again like a kangaroo to the point where it won'trestart. Breakdown company couldn't figure it out and it ended up transportedon home on a low loader!

The camshaft was replaced two weeks ago, involving the head off and allgaskets changed.

On inspection, the larger air hose in to the underside of the air filter is linedwith a yellow/cream mayonnaise type substance; where can that be coming from? I'vecleaned the pipe out, best I can, but has made no difference.

The car was just about able to run with the choke fully out and revving it,but now it won't even start.

Not sure if there are a number of problems.

As this is my daily drive, I need it back on the road ASAP!

Any suggestions most welcome!

Cheers

Markd89
14-05-12, 12:06 PM
First thing I would do is check that you have compression.
Check for fuel and spark
Also check diagnostics if you can
Normal mayo/cream substance means headgasket unless you use your car for short journeys all the time, check the oil cap and pull the dipstick out and see if its anywhere else

devonskippy
14-05-12, 12:13 PM
As the head gasket has just been done i've ruled that out, no signs from either dipstick or oil cap - the oil looks clean (being new!).

Car is usually run for at least 30 miles a day at up to 60mph.

Southie
14-05-12, 12:15 PM
Still could be the head-gasket so don't rule it out, as mentioned do a compression test first before stripping it back down again.

GRUNT 16V
14-05-12, 12:42 PM
do you have a k&n air filter fitted on your pierberg ??

devonskippy
14-05-12, 01:08 PM
No, just the standard round one.

GRUNT 16V
14-05-12, 01:33 PM
the mayo in the breather pipe is normal as theres is oil vapor and condensation etc

GRUNT 16V
14-05-12, 01:34 PM
also do you a have an inline fuel fliter ?? as i would be looking at blocked carb jets

devonskippy
14-05-12, 01:39 PM
It's a standard 1.3SR, where would the fuel filter be?

burgo
14-05-12, 09:38 PM
there wont necessarily be one, there wasn't as standard but people fit an inline one so simply check along the fuel line.

what have you checked/tested up to now

marc69
14-05-12, 09:49 PM
I had an issue with my SR at first, on journeys especially when going up a gradient and the car was under load, it would conk out at the top of the hill, 5 minutes later it was fine. Tok over ayear of ignition/fule etc checks, it turned out that the fuel accelerator jet (inside the carb when you split it) had broken so was only under load that it was an issue, causeing the car to starve and plugs to overheat.

Don't know if this is part of your problem, hope you get it going again, once up and running these wee 1.3 are great.

devonskippy
14-05-12, 10:53 PM
Plugs, lead, dizzy & cap, coil have all been changed.
Camshaft replaced, including head and other gaskets.
Coolant change.
Cam belt changed
Plugs look fairly normal.
Nothing untoward from oil cap or dipstick

Was running great along motorway for 150 miles, then stuttered a bit on dual carriageway but then went back to normal. Following journey stuttered again, then having parked it ran OK after. Next journey it ran ok for first 50 miles then stuttered, stopped, restarted, stopped and after a number of attempts refused to restart.

lynhok
14-05-12, 11:31 PM
try a new fuel pump mine started playing up when it got hot, if you need a hand mate give me a call im only round the corner 07935840690

Novasport
14-05-12, 11:37 PM
Do you have fuel getting to the engine and carb? Just because the guage is showing fuel it does not mean there is any.

devonskippy
15-05-12, 09:31 AM
There's definately fuel in the tank as I filled it up before setting off. If it's reaching the card, is another matter!

Novasport
15-05-12, 04:12 PM
Take the filter off & work the throttle linkage, can you see fuel being squirted in? Is your fuel pump working?

devonskippy
21-05-12, 10:34 AM
Right, so the fuel pump has been changed. Unfortunatley this has made no difference. The breather pipe has also been cleaned out and again no material difference.

It starts ok from cold (using the manual choke that's been previously fitted), but when warm and the choke off, it starts cutting out and refusing to restart.

Any more thoughts welcomed!

garyc
21-05-12, 12:13 PM
Fit a new carb or replace with a more reliable weber.

SRprojectKO
21-05-12, 08:13 PM
as far as i can tell its a carb issue, have you had it set up properly? if its progressively getting worse the mixture could have been changing over a period of time, when my car had its 1.4 SR engine i had to get the carb set up every two or three months because it kept on adjusting itself (strange i know) but it could be worth while getting your carb re-conned and take your car to a rolling road and set it up properly.

devonskippy
23-05-12, 08:45 AM
Anyone know of somewhere that could set it up properly, based in the Cannock/West Midlands/Staffordshire area?

b943weg
23-05-12, 01:29 PM
a wild card to throw in....is the earth strap from the engine to the chassis still in tact? I had a cutting-out fault once, and after much head scratching found this as the cause...

marc69
23-05-12, 06:06 PM
I do think that looking at ignition timing and checking the advance works correctly is also worth a look but, if it is your carb and it is not being remedied easily, it might be less work to just shove another one on from a car that is working.

Southie
23-05-12, 06:11 PM
My concern would be that it's still leaving a mayo deposit though, have you as I mentioned tried another compression test to be totally sure the head gasket was done correctly, I've fallen for the same thing in the past so only giving advice btw ;)

devonskippy
27-05-12, 10:09 PM
Right, so fuel pump changed, a perished pipe changed and the rubber diaphram at back of the carb changed (it was leaking and split inside).

Looks like it might be sorted!

Next job, taking off the manual choke and putting on the automatic that should be fitted...

Simon 1867
27-05-12, 10:34 PM
reading through your thread most things seem to be covered, one which I know sounds stupid but when you changed your head gasket did you put it on the right way up? I rushed mine once and put it on upside down and had all the problems your are expericening, i changed everything like you have.. hope this helps

mowgli
27-05-12, 10:45 PM
coils do fail on the early ones, and they do this by breaking down when hot.

devonskippy
28-05-12, 09:51 AM
It looks like it's all sorted, so thanks for the advise. Got to work OK this morning.

Coil had already been changed and the head gasket was done at local Vauxhall dealer (so i'd hope they have more expertise than me!).

Thanks again.

chambers1984
28-05-12, 11:13 AM
good to see another nova in cannock. if you eva need anything or a hand mate give me a pm

GRUNT 16V
28-05-12, 12:22 PM
Dont bother with the auto choke as they are crap