PDA

View Full Version : Bolt stuck in bottom of the shock?

NovaBoi92
13-05-12, 02:11 PM
Hello everyone been a while since ive posted but i know that you are all willing to help when i have a problem :) Removing the rear shock on my car, the bolt had seized in the bottom of the shock, i think its sort of welded itself to the rubber bush :-0 EVEN TRIED A SLEDGEHAMMER lol no luck, any ideas?

Benn
13-05-12, 02:14 PM
Windy gun? Shouldn't be touching the rubber as there's a metal insert in the rubber.

Oil it, work it lose.

NovaBoi92
13-05-12, 02:25 PM
i used sh*t loads of wd40, impact gun, rather large tapping stick, huge breaker bar (just feels like its spinning the rubber bush) i was trying for about an hour,

brainsnova
13-05-12, 02:25 PM
Has the nut broke off and just spinning behind the rear drum

NovaBoi92
13-05-12, 02:33 PM
the nut came off find its just the bolt itself thats stuck. Its on my volvo s40 not a nova, and its where the the shock mounts into the rear suspension arm

mowgli
13-05-12, 02:57 PM
its time to get the grinder out.. or drill the bolt out

Novasport
13-05-12, 03:45 PM
Get some heat on the job, blow torch or oxy acetalyne :)

_Jake
13-05-12, 04:20 PM
rather large tapping stick

Epic lollol

Jon_nova1
14-05-12, 11:50 AM
lol I had this i tried everything, left oil on it for a few days, took a blow torch to it, a breaker bar, nothing worked

In the end i took the hub and suspension to a friend at his MOT station, he said the best thing to use is a long breaker bar and a decent socket as the cheap ones will round the edges, we did that and it started moving (with a snap on socket and a 1 metre breaker bar) it wasn't easy, we had it in a vice and i was literally hanging off the breaker bar, then when it started moving we took an impact gun onto it and just kept the button pressed while tapping the otherside with a hammer, it came out eventually.

I asked him why not just take an impact gun to it and he said theres a hell of alot more torque in using a breakerbar

So i'd suggest using your "tapping stick" in conjuction with your impact gun and it should come out assuming the bush hasn't seperated

NovaBoi92
14-05-12, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions ill give it a go :)