PDA

View Full Version : fuel sender wiring

marc69
13-05-12, 12:59 PM
the wiring was not there for the fuel sender in my track car. With some looking I found it behind the rear passenger lights, connected it up, it reads on the gauge at approx 4 oclock, ie a tank and a bit!

I can put a new dash bit in easily if this is at fault but, is there any safety reason why they would have removed this from the sender unit in the tank?

Thanks

mowgli
13-05-12, 06:09 PM
i think you should test the sender, the gauge & the wiring to find out which one is faulty.

marc69
13-05-12, 09:29 PM
It seems to be the gauge, put another gauge on and it went up to the full mark which is correct.

I have replaced the gauge in the instrument display, hopefully it will work fine,

burgo
13-05-12, 09:57 PM
how the hell and why was the wiring by the rear lights, surprised it was long enough to reach there

marc69
13-05-12, 10:01 PM
It had been tucked up along side the loom, I assume when the rear was being stripped out. I am sure it is the right wires as it even has the grommet and the fuel gauge doesn't move with it disconnected but does with it connected.

The car looks as though someone started preparing it for a track car, then the previous owner got it tried to get things going but not very successfulyl as I have found out with every single thing on the car, even the bolts for the harnesses were slack....

marc69
15-05-12, 09:04 PM
Emptied the tank last night and filled it today at the pumps, I was very naughty and left the ignition on whilst I filled it to check the fuel gauge works fine, however.....

This inspired me to look again at my 1984 Nova which I have never had a working fuel sender. I know the early novas had an issue with this as my first one used to go through a new sender every year for the five years I owned it. I eventually fitted a mk2 sender to that one.

I thought I would test it first to check the gauge, with the current sender, it sits at the quarter mark and basically every 200 miles i fill the tank, I don't know if I went below the quarter tank would the gauge show this.

Anyway I took the bullet connection to the blue wire on the mk2 sender and the spade to the brown. No matter where I moved the weight, no reading, this sender worked fine for testing the track car gauge. Have I got the wires the right way (brown is earth) or any other advice please?