PDA

View Full Version : Clio 1.5TD vs nova 1.4

marc69
12-05-12, 06:42 PM
Testing my nova 1.4 against my mates 1.5td last week, doing a 0-60ish I could just beat him. It was dual carraigeway and clear!

I suspected the 2nd barrel on the 2e2 wasn't working, checked and it wasn't. I took the vacuum pipe from the distributor as the vacuum advance is shot. This would give a stronger vacuum and the result was the 2nd barrel opens earlier at 3500rpm, giving a better driving range too.

Did the same test with my mates clio today...viola! Thrashed him which was great, his TD is good in 2nd gear but I assumed the Nova would be faster.

We then tried it up a steep gradient where there is a crawler lane, I didn't beat him, it was neck and neck but, am i right in thinking that that would be fair enough as his clio should have a bucket load of torque?

StaggySaloon
13-05-12, 09:36 AM
Pretty much yeah, diesel delivers all its power at the bottom off the rev range, you dont have to ring its neck like a petrol engine, but you completely run out of notes just when a petrol engine is coming on song! Changing gear at 4k rpm is not for me!

waggygsi
14-05-12, 11:07 AM
ma 1.4 nova is pants. cant even beat a 1.2 sxi!!!!

TeddyThom
14-05-12, 03:49 PM
Pretty much yeah, diesel delivers all its power at the bottom off the rev range, you dont have to ring its neck like a petrol engine, but you completely run out of notes just when a petrol engine is coming on song! Changing gear at 4k rpm is not for me!

Not quite right. If you set up the fuelling and the boost correctly, for example at 18 psi boost and the fuelling to match, then the diesel will pull all the way through the rev range. My td does that in all gears right up to the red line and still wants more lol

marc69
14-05-12, 08:33 PM
ma 1.4 nova is pants. cant even beat a 1.2 sxi!!!!

A SXi is the 1.2i engine, I have a 1.2i, possibly the slowest nova engine I have ever driven...oops. On the other hand you won't be likely to blow up your engine, I have gone way over the red line a few times already with going mental and twice with bad gear changes!

marc69
14-05-12, 08:35 PM
Not quite right. If you set up the fuelling and the boost correctly, for example at 18 psi boost and the fuelling to match, then the diesel will pull all the way through the rev range. My td does that in all gears right up to the red line and still wants more lol

I have driven my mates renault td (standard car). It does really pull with torque up to 5500 rpm (red line) but the way it's set up, 2nd gear seems to be stronger by miles than the others.

waggygsi
17-05-12, 06:11 PM
ma mates corsa c 1.2 sxi went past me like a wisna there lol

Jack
17-05-12, 06:22 PM
That didn't make sense til I saw you were from Scotland, read it in a scottish accent, then it made perfect sense. lol

A SXi is the 1.2i engine, I have a 1.2i, possibly the slowest nova engine I have ever driven...oops.
Tis the lowest power engine, 45bhp iirc. Woooo speedy lol

marc69
17-05-12, 07:27 PM
That didn't make sense til I saw you were from Scotland, read it in a scottish accent, then it made perfect sense. lol

Tis the lowest power engine, 45bhp iirc. Woooo speedy lol

I am most terribly sorry Mr Jack, my use of the English language is unfortunately somewhat wanting.

Although seriously, I am lazy when typing!!

MK999
17-05-12, 08:57 PM
It only ever seems to be the scottish that actually type in their own accent/strange language lol I've done the same a few times... "what the f*** does that say, oh, scottish *assume scottish accent* I seee!" lol

turbojolt
17-05-12, 09:03 PM
Diesel tuning is the future lol

marc69
17-05-12, 09:22 PM
Diesel tuning is the future lol

There are people trying to tune up diesels...though how I have no idea!

Although, it has to be said, deisels have come a long way in the last 25 years, I remember my dad's old peugot diesel, it really was a tractor.

MK999
17-05-12, 09:53 PM
There are people trying to tune up diesels...though how I have no idea!

More fuel, more boost, can do it entirely blind as running lean doesn't matter.

It really is that easy lol only gets complicated when you get into diesel pumps which requires a bit of knowledge on how they work, or just send it to the Finns to sort out :p