PDA

View Full Version : problems filling my fuel tank (apart from the cost)

marc69
12-05-12, 06:37 PM
I have always been filling my track car with jerry cans as it only got mot'd a month ago. Since then i haven't done that much testing due to work and the weather however, today was actualy dry so out I went.

Brokedown, ran out fuel (clever eh?)

Tried to fill it at essoh, could hardly get a drop to go in, the funnel kept stopping.

Tried tescoh exactly the same, therefore its a problem with the filler neck?

It's an spi tank that has been put on the car with the valve in the neck. Anyone got any techniques as clearly I can't drive 140 mile to knockhill and then fill it with jerry cans there!

hotrod
12-05-12, 10:08 PM
Hows your breathers in your tank?

I had one do that once and found it was the breather pipe was blocked!

burgo
12-05-12, 10:45 PM
as hotrod says your breather will be blocked where it goes through the chassis leg. also you dont have to put the petrol pump on full, you can only press it a little bit to trickle it in

Nobby
12-05-12, 10:53 PM
mine does this lol

hotrod
12-05-12, 11:18 PM
My callys done this from day 1!

Always get peed off when i gotta fill the tank! It takes ages! :(

marc69
13-05-12, 09:33 PM
The main breather is the wee rubber pipe that comes from the middle to the passnger side of the tank?

I tried a different technique today and filled the tank....I took a big screwdriver to hold the vavle open and a funnel and filled it like that at morri sons, the only problem is, when filling it full, I overflowed and made some mess on the fourcourt, oops.

The breather leaked fuel when I overflowed it so I assume it isn't blocked?

Mike
13-05-12, 09:45 PM
Breather hose is kinked or blocked causing fuel tank to pressurise & the back pressure shuts of the forecourt fuel pump as it thinks tank is full. My SR done this all the time, removed & refitted tank solved problem.

marc69
13-05-12, 09:51 PM
The breather that goes to the passenger side or the breater (I think there is one) by the filling hose?

burgo
13-05-12, 09:55 PM
it'll be the hose that goes from the filler neck down through the chassis leg to the tank, the chassis leg rots where it goes through and this in turn rots and blocks the breather pipe

marc69
13-05-12, 09:57 PM
Nova chassis legs rotting?!!

Thanks,

I'll have a look and see, hopefully the breather is just kinked, I have just filled up the tank so removal and refitting will be a real pain!

Mike
13-05-12, 10:07 PM
I'll have a look and see, hopefully the breather is just kinked, I have just filled up the tank so removal and refitting will be a real pain!

Draining a fuel tank is easy. Extend the engine feed fuel line into a jerry can or another cars fuel tank & hard wire the pump so its permenantly on. Will drain a tank in about 10 minutes.

marc69
14-05-12, 08:46 PM
emptied the tank today and use dthis as an excuse to check the fuel gauage whch did go down too.

Hail came on again so i then gave up and now I can't be bothered going back out, I found the breather and there is a big kink in it right beside the filler, I assume it wouldn't just be this kink....that would save me removing the tank, too easy eh?

Mike
14-05-12, 08:47 PM
Yes, it could easily just be "this kink". It really is that simple.

marc69
14-05-12, 08:55 PM
well as I've emptied the tank, might as well check it all out tomorrow anyway. I'll put 5 litres in and off the the petrol station tomorrow and see whether there is success or I do my usual, flood the forecourt and cover it with sand, then apologise.

Being in Aberdeen the comments from people are usually along this line (your moneys pouring there) as the car sits pouring out the last overflowed bit.....what fun!

marc69
15-05-12, 09:10 PM
I jacked the car up today removed the wheel and undid the jubilee clip that secures the breather. Eventually got the rubber breather hose off and blew through it/sucked to make sure it is clear, it was jjust the kink I spotted. How is this for lazyiness, no tank removal, despite emptying it!

I put it all back together, after draining it I needed 5 litres to get me to a petrol station but being bright, I put al the fuel in the other car, my first attempt at syphoning......disgusting, I can still taste it.

Went to put fuel in and although it did cut 3 timess and when I let it go full flow, it did work much much better so I am pleased. Thanks to everyone here for the advice and help.