PDA

View Full Version : F20 box - what would cause this damage?

Iain
08-05-12, 10:54 PM
So a year or so ago I refitted this gearset to my F20 box, which was missing a small piece from the end like this:

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP2a/003.JPG

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP2a/004.JPG

I've just removed the gearbox and extracted the gearset and now it's got another chip that looks exactly the same on the same bit!

What on earth could cause this?

Nova_Tek
08-05-12, 11:07 PM
I've had some oddness in my F20. Not with the gearset or anything but a little hole that looks like something has smashed out of/into it and a couple chipped teeth on the diff.

Iain
08-05-12, 11:25 PM
I put the above damage down to external damage but its done it again since fitting to my car hmm

Nova_Tek
08-05-12, 11:48 PM
Odd... you sure nothing if floating around in there?

burgo
08-05-12, 11:49 PM
I put the above damage down to external damage but its done it again since fitting to my car hmm

could still have been that. may have been a hairline crack you didn't see

Bubba
09-05-12, 01:16 AM
So a year or so ago I refitted this gearset to my F20 box, which was missing a small piece from the end like this:

I've just removed the gearbox and extracted the gearset and now it's got another chip that looks exactly the same on the same bit!

What on earth could cause this?

the same gearset lol or is it just how im reading that?

mowgli
09-05-12, 05:35 AM
i take it that its the back end of the input shaft?

if so, there is no way for it to get damaged.

Iain
09-05-12, 08:52 AM
Bubba I refitted it like above, and its gained ANOTHER chip on the same end, on the other side.

Thats what I thought Mowgli, not sure whats going on.

Was fairly sure nothing was kicking about in there when I refitted it all.

GRUNT 16V
09-05-12, 12:48 PM
I would blame the over use of the gears by and over enthusiastic driver or ill adjustment of the linkage

Iain
10-05-12, 11:14 AM
Think I've found the reason. Removed the circlip and the splines have been eating away at that, and the bearing that sits just behind it has a bit of in/out play which has probably given it a bit of a battering.

Using another cluster me thinks lol

mowgli
10-05-12, 12:26 PM
and maybe get some new bearings too.....

Andy
10-05-12, 03:24 PM
My F20 bolloxed the circlip that holds that on.No reason why,changed it,and its still good to this day