PDA

View Full Version : mk1 astra

swedge
07-05-12, 05:19 PM
i cant help but search the net for mk1 astras for sale

i think its the boxy'ness that apeals to me, thier not cheap though

was thinking about getting a mk1 3 door shell and building it up

im guessing they rot just as bad as a nova?

mk1dave
07-05-12, 05:31 PM
I have been doing exactly the same at the moment but I am on the look out for a good complete one. Such a nice looking car.

Edd
07-05-12, 05:33 PM
Worse than nova's mate

Front footwells, rear inner arches and front inner wings are really bad areas

But yeah I look at them all the time lol

If you search opel kadett on ebay there is a mk1/kaddet/astra one there, chap wants £4k, never worth that, tis a utter minter I had a look at it other day

mowgli
07-05-12, 05:35 PM
astra mk1's are so bad that they actually compare rotting pears to them......

they have a dodgy inner arch that is linked to the sills. in the sill there is a sponge in a crappy poly bag...it attracts rot like flys to a cow's ar$e. i owned a couple back in the day. they were great cars, and were fun to modify... mk2 astra underneath bits fit straight on, including injection tanks.. i actually had my e16se in one for a while..

mowgli
07-05-12, 05:37 PM
as was the case in the early 80s, the opel versions are a lot better at keeping the tin worm at bay. the opel versions simply had much better rustproofing put on them in the factory.

Connor
07-05-12, 05:37 PM
Yep, as said before, they rust real bad. So make sure you have a good old poke about if you go view one!

camels toe
07-05-12, 06:11 PM
Ive had **** loads of them.Wouldnt say they rust any more or less than nova`s.For every rotten astra ive seen ive seen a rotten nova.Its just shonky vauxhalls/opels of that era.
Ive got a 3dr estate now that apart from needing wings and a valance was in really good condition.
Gte`s rust more than base models due to the kits trapping water and the sound deadening on the bulkhead.If you go see one for sale jack it up on the front wishbone mount if you can.Its a weakspot,they rust from the inside out at that point til the mount falls off.Usually if you can jack it up on the mount it`ll be ok.
Gte`s are going for really strong money as theres hardly any left at all.Even 3 door base models are going for around the grand mark.

Rickyb
08-05-12, 03:38 PM
my mates restored a mk1 gte, he only planned on wings and sill when he bought it take alook threw his pics.
http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa254/The-big-man/astra/stes%20mk1%20astra%20gte/
i think if that dont put you off nothing will.

swedge
08-05-12, 03:48 PM
I like a challenge lol, I'm trying to source a unit at the moment first so I can get a rollover jig made up so I can get it properly stripped

benw456
08-05-12, 08:27 PM
Iv just got mine back on the road after 5 years! I love it to bits! It could be for sale for the right money. ;)

swedge
08-05-12, 08:52 PM
looking for more of a project to work on :)

mowgli
08-05-12, 08:55 PM
I like a challenge lol, I'm trying to source a unit at the moment first so I can get a rollover jig made up so I can get it properly stripped
i love your optimism... do you think a mk1 astra project shell would hold together on a rollover jig???

swedge
08-05-12, 09:25 PM
get those parts solid first obviously

brainsnova
08-05-12, 10:32 PM
Anything can be welded lol to something

Jon_nova1
08-05-12, 11:24 PM
^^^ to rust lol