PDA

View Full Version : Keep braking drive shafts solution?

SR-Rally
07-05-12, 03:38 AM
In one of my rally cars I have a standard 1600 16v with a straight cut box and a tran-x Lsd. It use to have a zf lsd but since it's been rebuilt and had tran x fitted (which is deffinatly a tighter diff) it keeps braking shafts or joints. Small shaft mainly!

I'm going to get the diff tuned down so it's only 60% locking so hopefully that will help. But is there anything else I should do..... Would a gte 22 spline shaft be stronger or there joints stronger? Or is there no gain? I have lock stops fitted on the rack. But the last shaft snapped on a straight bit of road.

Any advice greatly recieved. I've been rallying this car for almost 4 years and never snapped a shaft untill the last few rally's :/

tom reid
07-05-12, 04:32 AM
Exactly what is the car doing when the shafts break, steering angle, gear selected, revs etc?

mk1nova_rich
07-05-12, 08:13 AM
You can buy spacers to fit over the shaft before it goes through the hub. Apparently these reduce shaft breakages. I might still have a pair if youre interested

SR-Rally
07-05-12, 11:58 AM
First time it was on pretty much full lock round a hair pin and the inside wheel was scratting for grip then bang. Second time I'd come out of a hair pin and was accelerating away got into second then half way through the gear bang. Again it was scratting for grip.

Id deffinatly be interested.... I assume I'd need to measure how much plunge there is when it's fitted to make sure it doesn't make them to tight? If you could let me know if you have them or if not where to get them. It's next out in 2 weeks so sooner the better :)

Cheers