PDA

View Full Version : Harnesses

marc69
05-05-12, 12:22 AM
Now that the track car is almost ready for a few runs, how tight should harnesses be?

Should they hold you rigid or should there be an inch of freeplay?

I ask because the position the seats are in, I need an inch of freeplay to reach all the controls. If they have to hold you pretty tight then I will have to look into getting the seat moved forward a bit as I am a bit of a shortrse.

BRoadGhost
05-05-12, 12:17 PM
Yeah baboon limbs help; I can only just reach some switches on the dash and that's being 6ft and quite flexible.

You should always be in nice and tight. Maybe you could grow long nails?

Hobbit
05-05-12, 12:33 PM
I can just about reach the heater controls on mine, luckily i'm a short **** so the seat is mounted quite far forward. I have my harness nice and tight, seems pointless having them if they aren't pinning you to the seat.

phunkynova
05-05-12, 05:07 PM
As tight as you can get it the tighter the better as if you do need to use it you'll get less injury's and bruising the tighter they are.
I know I've done extensive test on this one :roll:

16xe_chris
05-05-12, 06:43 PM
Tighter the better IMO

Saved me from 3 time end over end and 3 barrel roll all in the same whoopsie, what I found most difficult was keeping my right arm inside the car whilst being flug around lol

marc69
06-05-12, 10:36 PM
Did some tampering today, with the harness tight I can reach everything so that's good but I have to sit with my bottom right down. Only thing is I can't turn round to reverse as I found out by almost hitting a neighbours parked car I never saw, seriously...half an inch more would have been bad. I'll just have to release the lock everytime I reverse in future.

BRoadGhost
07-05-12, 08:57 PM
Ask yourself how often would you drive forwards blind?

Iain
07-05-12, 08:59 PM
I undo my harnesses for reversing, although I imagine thats a bit of a pain if you have the aircraft buckle ones.