PDA

View Full Version : back to black removal

conza123
02-05-12, 09:28 PM
any got any ideas on removing the back to black off my bumpers and spoiler as there ment to be grey

+ whats the best think to put on them when i cleaned them all up to make them look nice

many thanks

marc69
02-05-12, 09:33 PM
The back to Black should only make them dark grey which is what they should be. I found that it washed off in heavy rain leaving the bumpers blotchy so I now use Linseed oil (as advised by someone here) twice a year and so far there is no fade, after 5 years.

conza123
02-05-12, 09:36 PM
mine are reily black but in places its gone back to grey ive got some of it off with silcone, a nail brush and some elbow grease and it took me half an hour to so one side of my sr spoiler

marc69
02-05-12, 10:17 PM
be careful that you don 't damage it

Royston
02-05-12, 10:42 PM
I thought "Back to Black" was clear or was there a Stained version?

Novasport
02-05-12, 10:46 PM
Green Swarfega and a nail brush is good. Brake cleaner may help as it does not always attack the plastic but should desolve the dye but you will need to treat the surface soon after with a bumper gel

kent14sr
03-05-12, 10:07 AM
I used back to black on the rear spoiler and bumpers on my old mk1 SR and it brought it to normal finish. Are you sure they havent been painted at some point?

phazer
03-05-12, 04:54 PM
Use a dilution of APC (all purpose cleaner, Daisy from tesco is mega cheap and works v well) and nail brush or similar soft-ish brush. Anything stronger risks staining the plastic or causing problems with it.

APC dilution: Start with 10:1 and then move up to 5:1 if it won't shift. If that still doesn't move it, use 50:50 but don't let it dry on the plastic.

conza123
03-05-12, 05:33 PM
it sort of been stained black i think with the autosmart stuff you stick on plastics and tyres ill try the all purpose cleaner

phazer
03-05-12, 09:22 PM
A fall back plan would be some diluted IPA if the stains are stubborn. Either way once it's back to clean plastic you can look at whether the plastic needs some work itself i.e. the oils have gone. You can use a hot air gun and WD40 to sort this.

Benn
03-05-12, 09:27 PM
I thought "Back to Black" was clear or was there a Stained version?

The good stuff has a stain in it.

Dont use silicone on them tho, will make it worse when you try and clean them up after....