PDA

View Full Version : e16se

novaa
30-04-12, 09:46 PM
The thick earth wire from battery does it go to starter or altenator. Thanks in advance

Gibbo
30-04-12, 09:57 PM
goes on the starter mate there should be a nut that holds the starter on the block.You should be abel to put a nut on that for the earth

novaa
30-04-12, 09:58 PM
cheers thanks

mowgli
30-04-12, 10:04 PM
there should be a nut that holds the starter on the block.You should be abel to put a nut on that for the earth

why??

there is a perfectly good chassis leg to gearbox earth.... and the battery earth also connects to the shell.....

you connect the big red wire to the starter, then there should be a shorter wire to the alternator. basically you reuse the original nova starter wiring..

unless its a 1.0. if its a 1.0, there is a resistive wire from the ign switch to the coil, this is clear coated & needs replacing with some std wire, and there will be an extra wire form the starter to the coil. this needs throwing away.

bazil
30-04-12, 10:18 PM
The thick earth wire from battery does it go to starter or altenator. Thanks in advance

Surely the earth goes to the bulkhead? Why would you earth it to the starter?

Gibbo
30-04-12, 11:23 PM
theres one that goes on the bulkhead and one to start that earths the engine. some just go to bulkhead and have a earth strap on gearbox.
my saloon dont have one. it goes to starter ,well were it bolts on.

novaa
01-05-12, 08:33 PM
Gibbo is right my car hasnt got a earth strap from gearbox to chassis. This is a first for me just a different way of earthing thanks for the replies

swedge
02-05-12, 06:36 AM
Fitting a gearbox to chassis would be easier would it not?

mowgli
02-05-12, 06:16 PM
swedge, you are correct, or the non engine parts of the wiring loom will struggle to find an earth point.

bazil
02-05-12, 07:10 PM
Fitting a gearbox to chassis would be easier would it not?

And battery to bulkhead for the earth circuit

swedge
02-05-12, 07:14 PM
And battery to bulkhead for the earth circuit

yeah, the only earths i have are the battery, the gearbox, alternator and my megajolt ecu earth