PDA

View Full Version : C20xe upgrades

DAFTJOHN
28-04-12, 05:14 PM
The car is due back from the paint shop soon and I was wondering what to do engine wise.

Was thinking stick the original 1.3sr in it, or a 16xe but since I have the xe and it's been a good engine I'll stick with that. Don't want to go for a let as they always seem to have niggles....maybe just my perception.

So sticking with the xe which is an early one that was producing 159bhp before the car went in for a paint 2.5 years ago. I'd like tb's - was looking at qed and sdb, sdb do seem more expensive, is the sdb giving a better quality? The power returns seem similar.

Will be looking at better manifold, injectors etc too. 220 would be nice.....so am I wasting money and should I opt for the let.

John
28-04-12, 05:20 PM
Why not the let?

DAFTJOHN
28-04-12, 05:36 PM
Why not the let?

Not really sure, I bought one before but never put it in and sold it on. Just hear stories on gearbox problems, turbos going and poor running....but they might just be old poorly maintained engines. Then there's cutting for the fmic. Maybe though, seems the cheaper route.

bazil
28-04-12, 05:39 PM
I'd keep the XE and full snowplough uncut,

IMHO just get the car on the road this year, buy the bods and parts you need and do it next winter, get the thing to billing this year!

DAFTJOHN
28-04-12, 05:46 PM
I'd keep the XE and full snowplough uncut,

IMHO just get the car on the road this year, buy the bods and parts you need and do it next winter, get the thing to billing this year!

I was hoping to have it this weekend but the painter was moving garages and it's put him back a bit so end of may it'll be back with me to build up.....suspension, tie bars, fuel tank, axle still need powder coated. When's billing? Wont make pvs

EwanG
28-04-12, 05:47 PM
Go for the 1.3sr to make the car original. You will get loads more respect defo :thumb:.

DAFTJOHN
28-04-12, 05:52 PM
Go for the 1.3sr to make the car original. You will get loads more respect defo :thumb:.
I was going to until I seen a sr recently and it looked so slow. I like a bit of speed in a car. Maybe in a few years when I go totally mad and rebuilt it nut and bolt :)

kent14sr
28-04-12, 06:42 PM
If you put a 13SB engine back in you would probably have the only jamaican yellow SR in original trim around now.

I dread to think of how much it would be worth - certainly better than a pension in todays climate I would say!!!

DAFTJOHN
28-04-12, 06:58 PM
If you put a 13SB engine back in you would probably have the only jamaican yellow SR in original trim around now.

I dread to think of how much it would be worth - certainly better than a pension in todays climate I would say!!!

Haha, I dont plan on selling and I prob will put the 1.3 back in at some point but to be fair it's had the xe alternator cut out, well bashed out and has been stitched welded, so some of the originality has went.

Nova_Tek
28-04-12, 07:55 PM
If you already have the engine I'd probably stick with it and just do some mods. Maybe port & polish, some good cams etc. To get 200+ break you'll be spending a fair bit of money but a modded NA engine will be very lively that's for sure.

bazil
29-04-12, 09:03 AM
John, we're heading to billing on Friday 13th July and leaving on moday 16 th

1300 tuned power would be mega fun around the B roads?
Or turbo the 1.3

mk1nova_rich
29-04-12, 09:23 AM
The power delivery of a 200bhp XE will give more smiles than a similar power LET...stick some TBs on it :thumb: but get hold of a good 1300 for a rainy day

DAFTJOHN
29-04-12, 10:36 AM
The power delivery of a 200bhp XE will give more smiles than a similar power LET...stick some TBs on it :thumb: but get hold of a good 1300 for a rainy day

There's a plan... The xe sounds so much gruntier than the let

DAFTJOHN
29-04-12, 10:39 AM
John, we're heading to billing on Friday 13th July and leaving on moday 16 th

1300 tuned power would be mega fun around the B roads?
Or turbo the 1.3

Ideal that gives me June to get it built back all assuming I get the car end of may. I'm away to Spain start of july and back just in time for billing!

Im off to find the engine number and get this reg as a 2.0ltr. This time I'll go right to the dvla rather than send the paperwork which was a waste of time. What you taking down bazil

NOVA-LE67
02-05-12, 04:23 PM
im in the same situation as you mate not sure if i should mod my xe or go for the turbo. i have been looking at TB's and cams :) it will sound amazing and go fast enough to keep a smile on my face. but for the same money you can forge an xe and run alot more power. think i need to do some more research before i go spending my money but N/A is much cooler and in my head more respectable. but hay im just a noob to this game lol

bazil
02-05-12, 07:27 PM
Duno what I'll be taking John, it won't be the gsi that's a certainty lol

swedge
02-05-12, 07:31 PM
what kinda power would a completely rebuilt xe be putting out with

r1 carbs
288 cams
port and polish
4-2-1
2" magnex system
megajolt ecu