PDA

View Full Version : One for the off roaders.... Landrover defender air filter

mowgli
27-04-12, 06:22 PM
So after several lemming like scrapes with death involving writing off 2 defender 90's, my nephew has now decided to buy another landy.....

He took it to the local 4x4 track with the seller, and promptly stuck it in a swamp... Even though it has a snorkel & all the goodies, it sucked up 1/2 a swamp thru the filter box....

Some tit hadn't waterproofed it very well..

So apart from 6 out of the 8 pushrods looking like boomerangs, it appears to have survived the ordeal, but we obviously need to sort it out properly..

The factory airbox has a silly little rubber split cap for letting large debris out, this had been replaced with a polly bag that ripped...
So we need a decent bung, and the end cap needs sealing...

I tried some landy forums, and they were worse than the corsa ones...

Any real world ideas folks???

autoworksnovasport
27-04-12, 06:25 PM
replce the whole box with somthing else??

thespannerman
27-04-12, 06:42 PM
im a landrover man, so ill have a go!

mines a td5, so is a different setup. i assume yours is a 200/300tdi with the round airbox and have the daft bit of rubber on the bottom to let out any water that may enter the airbox.

option one is to remove it and weld it over.
option two is to remove it and fill it woth silicone and then to refit the bung..

option three is remove the airbox and have the mushroom type filter on top of the snorkel...

gasket silicone all the joints to air pipes and the airbox seal aswell

dont forget the axle and gearbox breathers, timing case and bell housing breathers...........depends how deep he likes to swim!!lol

Royston
27-04-12, 06:58 PM
Buy a new one from land rover, bet it isnt that expensive

thespannerman
27-04-12, 07:00 PM
Buy a new one from land rover, bet it isnt that expensive

lol lol lol everything is expensive from landrover!

deanwilko
27-04-12, 07:13 PM
weld it up and buy a breater kit and waiding plugs off ebay then run them into the top of the snorkel ( highest point ).

p.s tell him to sell the 90 and buy a disco much better at off roading and parts are cheaper also

Royston
27-04-12, 07:27 PM
lol lol lol everything is expensive from landrover!

Actually I disagree, some thing are most definitely are:eek::eek::eek::eek:, but quite alot isn't, it is alway worth checking.

I run a Range Rover Classic 3.9 V8 that needs fixing from time to time, so should knowlol

I do however buy alot of parts via www.paddockspares.com (http://www.paddockspares.com);)

thespannerman
27-04-12, 07:38 PM
yeah maybe its just mine been a td5 that everything is expensive!!!!!

i used paddocks quite a lot but started using island 4x4.there is some things that you can get from one place but nowhere else!!like front prop ujs, the one on mine is a wide angle prop.......the only place i can get them is island 4x4 at £12.95 each.....everywhere else i can find them range up to £45 each!

thespannerman
27-04-12, 07:46 PM
i had tonkas when i was a kid, now ive got a proper one!lol

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y322/thespannerman2010/2011-10-09174418.jpg

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y322/thespannerman2010/009.jpg

mowgli
27-04-12, 08:01 PM
it has all the axle breathers done properly, which is why we all thought it was ok...

its logical to stick with the current setup, as we have already been looking at plant/industrial airboxes, and they don't seem to be any better... we even thought about fitting the box on the roof on top of the snorkel, but i think it would soon get clouted..

there is also the engine breather to think of, as it is routed to the airbox, and i plan to leave it like that because of the off roading, as it can't exactly have a catch tin.....

yes its a 200tdi.

my worry about welding up the drain hole is that if any crap/water gets in thru the snorkel, that it might wreck it again, i was wondering about a screwed in tap so it could be drained...

Austin_Nova16
27-04-12, 08:14 PM
You know the cap that comes on the valve on a bottle of boc welding gas; I siliconed one of them on there. Job done. if a bit of a bodge.. :thumb:

Also silicon the lid on the box and sometimes the 3 clips need a bit of a bend if the don't hold it on securely enough..

thespannerman
27-04-12, 08:33 PM
If you weld the hole up and seal it all well, nothing should get in there.got a few mates with 200 tdis that have snorkels and have had them very deep without isues

as to the engine breathers i think the crank breather is to the airbox anyway but the one that is mentioned is the timing case breather.small plug in the bottom near the crank pulley and a plate in front of the injection pump.the breather mod is just a plate with a pipe coming off it.same with the bell houseing.its just a plug that goes in to stop anything getting in..

Let me know if you need any pics as my dad has a 200 90

deanwilko
27-04-12, 08:35 PM
mowgli buy one of these kits off ebay you plumb to the 5 connector block ( highest place on the bulkhead where we put my grandad's )

how we did it was

rear diff and tank joined with a two to one connector in the kit

gearbox and tbox joined two to one

front diff single

engine breaters running a breater from timing belt as running waiding plugs all the time

the the one spare from the connector to the top of the snorkle

then just weld the drain hole up seal the rest with good gasket sealent, tbh the filters usually block up with dust etc rather then water when running a snorkle

pic of the kit we used took about an hour to set up and clip in place a real easy job

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtU_KNEC2J7BjLHWTwT9XqOwMm-AXtNKw2B90_NDix0IjDvOuy

thespannerman
27-04-12, 08:40 PM
Not sure about early axles but the td5 axles are pushfit so i ran a complete new pipe.then made a manifold from 1/4 inch alloy block and some pushfits

got bored at work one day lol

mowgli
27-04-12, 08:47 PM
the box & axles are already done, as i've already stated.... so more info on engine breathers please,

deanwilko
27-04-12, 09:23 PM
pic of the timing belt breater, 12 quid off ebay with timing plate and connector and 6m of pipe.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDUzWDYwNA==/$(KGrHqJ,!jIE697,gMJIBPbvkLrq8Q~~60_12.JPG

the breater to the airbox some people put sealant round the inside the tighten up with a jubile, others extend and run a small breater up the side of the snorkle. we have just sealed it up and never had a problem, been in water above the dash.

thespannerman
27-04-12, 09:34 PM
just the breather from the rocker cover to air box.as said by deanwilko, make sure its on properly and jubilee cliped tight.once the airbox has been sealed and the snorkle sealed it should be fine

mowgli
27-04-12, 09:35 PM
ta very much...

this is why i love this forum. people on here have such varied interests that they can answer pretty much everything

thespannerman
27-04-12, 09:43 PM
i know what you mean about landrover forums, some are very good but i find it very confusing trying to find an answer as every landrover has a different version of the same fault if ya get me!

joff-turbo-nova
27-04-12, 09:51 PM
What Mowgli said - weld up the hole - and put some threads for something like this to make a drain plug ...

http://www.chinacablegland.com/UpLoadFile/Hexagonal-Brass-Screw-Cap.jpg

Or use a sump plug - they have a rubber seal on the inside lip on the newer vauxhall engines!

Joff

mowgli
27-04-12, 10:04 PM
i'm thinking of a nut, bolt & a dowty washer..i have a box of them in the wshop & it worked a treat on our tarmac roller's water tank when i made a drain bung to stop it getting rusted up between jobs..

thespannerman
27-04-12, 10:27 PM
the end of the airbox comes of quicker than you could get a drain plug out any way!

mowgli
27-04-12, 10:32 PM
not if its sealed up with silicon & duck taped up

_Jake
27-04-12, 10:56 PM
mowgli get a army wolf one, my dads a landy man and puts them on everyone he gets now and there better than the crappy standard one! can get a pic of one he has on his 90 at the moment if you like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Donaldson-Air-intake-Air-cleaner-Land-Rover-wolf-/360351740027?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e6a3307b like so

John
27-04-12, 11:22 PM
series land rovers ftw!

thespannerman
27-04-12, 11:43 PM
not if its sealed up with silicon & duck taped up

tis a good point sir!

my airbox (td5) has a k and n panel filter in and original seal, hasnt ever had water in but then again, its right up against the bonnet at the back..............not planning on been that deep unless it carrys on raining!!lol

Stuart
28-04-12, 12:03 AM
mowgli get a army wolf one, my dads a landy man and puts them on everyone he gets now and there better than the crappy standard one! can get a pic of one he has on his 90 at the moment if you like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Donaldson-Air-intake-Air-cleaner-Land-Rover-wolf-/360351740027?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e6a3307b like so

Just like the filter they use on hmmvw's

Puma defenders ftw :D

thespannerman
28-04-12, 07:27 AM
makes me laugh when people call them "the puma engined ones"....its a transit engine lol

deanwilko
28-04-12, 07:47 AM
thats no different to the 200 airbox just plastic though, with the drain tit on. on 200 there metal and you just weld a plate over. theres no need for a drain as if sealed right the lowest point would be top of the snorkle so therefor shouldnt get any water in.

mowgli he will be cleaning/ replacing the air filter every 3/6 months so i wouldnt bother about a drain, been running landies for over 10 years like this and never had a problem. just seal everything up.

mowgli
28-04-12, 08:38 AM
thats basically my plan

mowgli
06-05-12, 03:33 PM
so update. i managed to put the engine back together with a trusty haynes, and managed to use all of the bits my nephew took off it & threw round the county... and it all went well, god its been ages since i used feeler gauges on tappets..... until i tried to start it..

nowt.

checked battery, that was ok

undid cb from in front of fuse box, checked fuses & relays, they were ok.

checked feed to the starter, that was ok..

so decided the starter was at fault...

i now know what part they use to start building a landrover... i reckon there is a rope from the ceiling at the works with a starter motor hung from it & then they fit everything else round it.....

finally, after an hour of profuse swearing about brummie car makers & advice from my local vets, we managed to remove it (anyone know if the top bolt is meant to have a nut on the back??)

so i bridged the solenoid & nowt..

the gear was covered in the clay slop that the landy had been dropped into... oh, the bellhousing has no bung!!!!!

when i was at college, they used to get us to do silly things like strip a starter motor & do a report on its design, circuit & workings, then put it back together & see if it worked... so i did this to the starter...
1/2 hour of undoing, hosepipes, a tub of diesel & a bit of wire wheeling later, it was cleaned out, reassembled & working again..

then we looked thru the hole onto the flywheel.... my nephew has got a fun job on with the hose & a big socket & ratchet to clean that lot out....

Stuart
06-05-12, 04:44 PM
makes me laugh when people call them "the puma engined ones"....its a transit engine lol

It's the puma engine.... That is in transit and then I did the integration of the transit ecu into defender :) I believe the Puma engine in a 2.0 and 2.2 guise now lives in mondeos, jags, freelanders and kugas as fomofo is ditching the dw range of unreliable junk.

mowgli
06-05-12, 04:56 PM
i don't know why anyone complains about the puma engine specifically...the rest of the landy has more than enough to be complained about before you even get to the engine....

it is uncomfortable, slow, thirsty, can't go round corners very quick, its crash protection is actually nil (my nephew flipped one & him & his friends were remarkably lucky as it disintegrated round them), they have toffee gearboxes, and simply far too many things that just fall off.

Royston
06-05-12, 05:14 PM
We have a new defender for use in the quarry (2nd tranny engined one)

The go very well for a defender, too quick in some respects,

they are uncomfortable, but is more refined in this guise if you can use such a word on a defender

but when it is knee deep in the slurry I wouldn't have anything else!

Had no issues except an egr valve on the previous one

thespannerman
06-05-12, 09:57 PM
i don't know why anyone complains about the puma engine specifically...the rest of the landy has more than enough to be complained about before you even get to the engine....

it is uncomfortable, slow, thirsty, can't go round corners very quick, its crash protection is actually nil (my nephew flipped one & him & his friends were remarkably lucky as it disintegrated round them), they have toffee gearboxes, and simply far too many things that just fall off.

ermm, yep lol! mines a td5, no egr, straight through pipe, silicone hoses, boost adjusted to 1.5 bar, and a k&n panel filter.goes quite well when its empty!awsome for towing 2 horses about though lol

one of those things you get used to with no comfort.mines got mr2 roadster seats, the old ones fell apart and knakerd my back, .the gearboxes arnt that bad, although mines had one just recently.it had been rebuilt before so didnt fancy stripping it.the casing would probably have been worn.its been worked with a plant company in wakefield, and bt.

thirsty......thats why im building another nova for work!

good to here your nearly sorted with it though!

Stuart
06-05-12, 10:53 PM

During testing we decided to see what she'd do....... Let's just say the 82mph limiter is a GOOD thing! We got to 110 and it went light and started squirming around on it's tyres are they were giving up. Slowly backing out the torque with the ecu was the only thing that saved us lol eeeek

thespannerman
06-05-12, 11:03 PM
yeah i had a mad minuite one night and decided to see what mine would do........got to 105 and back out!!lol

trundles along nicely at 70mph on mud terain tyres lol, having to drive it sencibly at the min though, steering box isnt at its finest