PDA

View Full Version : anyone on here (seriously have a look)

turbojolt
25-04-12, 11:55 PM
A friend sent me this link of Facebook was just wondering if of was anyone on here building it

http://www.cruisewestcumbria.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=26073&st=0

Bubba
25-04-12, 11:58 PM
looks awesome but

its made from 100x60x5mm box, the steel cost me just over £200

did he even shop around for that?? i can get that for around £80-100 for the amount he used

edit...

just jumped to the last page...didnt even finish it

novasrikev
26-04-12, 12:07 AM
its on mig for £200

NoVaBoOt26
26-04-12, 12:07 AM
Would have been nice to see it finished, sold today it says. Make a good project for someone

turbojolt
26-04-12, 12:09 AM
Was hoping someone on here bought it lol

mowgli
26-04-12, 06:57 AM
erm.......

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/nowva/DSC05908.jpg
&
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/nowva/DSCF0030.jpg

turbojolt
26-04-12, 10:05 AM
he wrote in the thread he made it removable for better access to the engine when the bulk head is put in

BRoadGhost
26-04-12, 11:11 AM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/nowva/DSC05908.jpg

Idd Mowgli I think the realisation of that independent having to have stroke made him mission abort.

Maybe a direct copy of that bike powered car in his nova should have been the way to go?

autoworksnovasport
26-04-12, 11:49 AM
how the bottom arms going to move??

too late :roll:

mowgli
26-04-12, 03:02 PM
1. gearbox in the way sort of wrecks the suspension idea... funny that.... why didn't he copy the front suspension off the nova?

2. the rollcage is shocking. where is the triangulation to the front end & safety cell for the driver?? and as for that joint.... is there any strength in it at all??

paddy quinn
26-04-12, 03:58 PM
cwc is full of chavs

Stuart
26-04-12, 04:23 PM
Mmm tack welding that looks permanent FTL

mowgli
26-04-12, 04:48 PM
i like our png project threads, where people can voice their concerns as it is progressing, even though the odd teddy leaves the pram, because stuff gets done properly.

this lad has done a sizeable amount of work, and a lot of it isn't that good, the rear arms really didn't look strong enough to hold themselves on, and the tubes used don't look like they have any strengthening on them, so i think it would have folded up before 2nd gear was selected, its a pity, because a good mid engined/rwd nova project could be excellent, as long as the weight imbalance is kept to a minimum.

the jig was impressive, considering that novas weren't even built straight in the factory in the first place....

Stuart
26-04-12, 05:19 PM
Just where do you reference on a nova chassis to make sure its level/straight?

mowgli
26-04-12, 05:21 PM
dunno.... would you dare make up a jig, working from a nova bodyshell??

BRoadGhost
26-04-12, 08:25 PM
Don't mock the actual fabrication / tacs as part of the build because that's the right way to go about it before seaming tubes up and it looks really good. Ok a bolt in section isn't ideal, but there are many out there with bolt in cages.

If he lowered the rear arm mountings chances are he could fettle things to clear. £200 for such a project is still a bargin; just needs someone with such skills to finish / reengineer it.

Stuart
26-04-12, 08:37 PM
The way it was being built it looked as if those tacs looked permy...

mowgli
26-04-12, 08:40 PM
fettle??? it needs new suspension that works... a cage that actually does something & then fully rebuilding.... ok, his cutting & tacking is fine & i know it is only at the mock up stage. the bolt in xmember isn't actually going to do much anyway....

back in about 1985, i had a copy of ccc mag with an amazing mid engine rwd 1.8 nova, the builder had made a removeable rear end for the shell(think 205t16), & fabricated a simple yet very effective installation, i think he cut & welded in the front end of an astra & then cut & tidied the remainder. the strength in the cage needs to be in front of the engine to protect the occupants & keep the wheels pointing straight, not round the engine,

Edd
26-04-12, 08:43 PM
Nice ideas, sadly ended up being a pile of scrap

Old man Jimbo
26-04-12, 09:29 PM
The thing with just bolting in the front suspension into the back of a car is there is all sorts of issues with bump steer and the like. But with the set up this guy used there is no issues like that. it's probably worth £200 in scrap metal so a bargain IMHO.

Jon_nova1
26-04-12, 09:38 PM
Those are just tack welds using an industrial welder, 4 tack welds equally spaced means nothing will move but if its wrong they can be cut off, i suspect he's got a welding job where times a limit, turning the power and speed up means you can get a pipe fully seamed in a couple of seconds and when you learn to do that as a job its easier doing it on whatever welding your doing, should have put some triangular plates where the pipe met though

mowgli
26-04-12, 09:40 PM
/\ which can be solved with a bit of reading... the original quattro had front suspension grafted into the back & they went ok

burgo
26-04-12, 10:41 PM
i think hes made a pretty good start. as for not doing the front part of the cage yet, why would you? i myself know that having a cage makes it awkward as funk getting in and out whilst trying to work on it, i would make the back end first as well if i were doing it. i also think the arm should clear the box and even if not its a very easy fix. i say when you do better feel free to criticize

JJL
26-04-12, 11:09 PM
i think hes made a pretty good start. as for not doing the front part of the cage yet, why would you? i myself know that having a cage makes it awkward as funk getting in and out whilst trying to work on it, i would make the back end first as well if i were doing it. i also think the arm should clear the box and even if not its a very easy fix. i say when you do better feel free to criticize

Agreed working around a front cage especially with door bars is a complete ballache. Think this would be a great base for a competant builder.

matthew172
27-04-12, 08:29 PM
i know the lad that was building it and i also know the lad that has bought it, why are some people banging on criticising as if this was the finished product?? it was no where near it was just literally tacked together and a ongoing build ffs

mowgli
27-04-12, 08:53 PM
we were discussing some of the aspects of it. it was obviously still being mocked up.

turbojolt
27-04-12, 08:56 PM
i know the lad that was building it and i also know the lad that has bought it, why are some people banging on criticising as if this was the finished product?? it was no where near it was just literally tacked together and a ongoing build ffs

i hope you dont think i posted this to slate it, i honestly thourght the build was leading to something epic and hope it still does if the build continues please pm me the link :thumb:

Iain
28-04-12, 09:47 AM
2. the rollcage is shocking. where is the triangulation to the front end & safety cell for the driver?? and as for that joint.... is there any strength in it at all??

we were discussing some of the aspects of it. it was obviously still being mocked up.

:)

matthew172
28-04-12, 09:58 AM
^^ have some rep

mowgli
28-04-12, 11:05 AM
i will now bring your attention to this joint
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/nowva/DSCF0030.jpg
in the event of any stress being put on that joint, the upper & lower vertical tubes will act like a pair of shears & deform/snap the horizontal tube, thus causing a major structural failure, and putting the occupants in danger..

if the 3 pipes had actually been joined at a single point, and triangulated properly with the removeable tube in the corner, as opposed to 3" up the tube so that would bend badly too, then i would have been raving about the fabrication as being well engineered too. it is not

as for the total lack of front cage, unfortunately, you can't massively alter the structure of one half of a car & do sod all to the other half. it needs fitting & joining to the front suspension too, for structural integrity, as you really can't trust an old well used shell to be up to the job, as for door bars, then can be added last.

sorry if i have offended people, but i am saying it as i see it.

Iain
28-04-12, 01:04 PM
Looks like there is a front hoop in the above picture anyway? Wasn't it attached to a big metal frame at first to keep it straight while being built?

mowgli
28-04-12, 01:30 PM
Ok, its attached to a jig to keep it straight, this doesn't mean it will be strong once its built..

If a shell is as the mfr intended, it is because they designed it, did stress calcs & also squashed a few dozen in early development. Doing what this lad did was not in the original design... So the new structure should be considered.

basic 6 point roll cages do very little to a cars structure, their job is supplying a protective area for the driver/ passenger, which they do very well
the metal under the back of a nova is hardly strong in the first place, because it doesn't need to be.
putting xe power thru it will be twisting the shell, and it needs some well thought out beefing up to cope..

turbojolt
28-04-12, 03:41 PM
Its easy to sit here and talk about what you think he done wrong but you have no background reference to what this guy does for a living what he has done/built in the past and pictures don't tell the whole story about how he was going about building this or what the final product would have been like

mowgli
28-04-12, 04:09 PM
and he sold it on, so sadly, we won't get to find out.

TeddyThom
28-04-12, 04:37 PM
In all fairness, if the guy in question was bloody good at doing stuff like this etc, then the only way he would've sold it on was due to a lack of finance...