PDA

View Full Version : 90% lsd

jonn
24-04-12, 06:21 PM
i use my nova for autocross racing, similar to autograss and i am looking for a lsd. i have been offered 2 90% diffs one is a harry hockly. has anyone any experience with a 90% diff.

will it still turn into corners ok or will it be harder to get it to turn/ stay going straight?

is it a big job to fit the speedo ring gear onto the diff?

Gareth_C
24-04-12, 08:33 PM
I'm not very good on diffs but Dave Dixon has a gripper diff that's 90% locked iirc. And i think that knocks being pushed around corners

novarally
24-04-12, 08:41 PM
The 90% quoted is probably the lock-up ratio for acceleration. You also need to know the lock-up under deceleration conditions. I'm far from an expert here, but from what I can gather my my Tran-X LSD is a 55/90.

I'm told that means it locks 55% when slowing down, and 90% when accelerating.

jonn
24-04-12, 09:01 PM
ok the only problem is the sellers dont seem to know much about them, they were used for forestry rallying.

i sent harry hockly an email about his diffs so i will wait and see what he has to say aswell, i would like to go for a 70% one but i am getting it hard to find one.

novarally
24-04-12, 09:22 PM
ok the only problem is the sellers dont seem to know much about them, they were used for forestry rallying.

i sent harry hockly an email about his diffs so i will wait and see what he has to say aswell, i would like to go for a 70% one but i am getting it hard to find one.

If the Hockly one is the same as Tran-X (which I think it may be), then the ramp angles can be altered to give you different rates of lock-up from the same unit.

Dayle_
24-04-12, 10:29 PM
We run a 90% locked Gripper diff in a 205 rallye and it knocks like mad on a road section for example pulling out of a T junction at normal speeds clunk clunk clunk, Sounds like it going to break. Takes some real use to try and get used to it. You really have to throw it into chicanes and be committed with the throttle and get it into you head that the diff will do the work and pull you through and it does!!! If you half heartedly go into that chicane its bloody dangerous lol. Alot of testing was done at Blyton.

jonn
25-04-12, 06:50 PM
i got an email back and he said that the diff can be adjusted back down to 70% is there any other way to run a speed sensor for the ecu? i am using a 16v engine so need it for the ecu

novarally
25-04-12, 06:54 PM
i got an email back and he said that the diff can be adjusted back down to 70% is there any other way to run a speed sensor for the ecu? i am using a 16v engine so need it for the ecu

Yes, you can use a pick-up sensor mounted onto a driveshaft, or on the wheel itself (preferably a rear wheel so it's not reading wheelspin).