PDA

View Full Version : Mileage discepancy - what to do!?

Will F
24-04-12, 10:26 AM
Looking at a few 320d Sports at the moment and one has come up that ticks all the boxes!

I have done an HPi and that seems fine, I did the DVLA MOT check and the mileage isnt right and has been clocked (2 years ago).

I informed the seller who didnt know (apparenlty) and he agreed that he would reflect this in teh price...

So - should I go for it? Its 1500 cheaper than its rivals and seems a straight car - apart from the anomoly of course.

If anyone has access to a super-dooper Hpi checker - let me know!

steviegsi
24-04-12, 10:35 AM
Personally I wouldn't touch it. I wouldn't feel right paying for something that's been fiddled with and tbh I'd never be satisfied that that's all that's been tampered with. Plus selling it again may be a problem. I'd go the £1500 extra for peace of mind and a car thats 100%. Not as if 320d sports are hard to come by . All IMO obviously.

Will F
24-04-12, 11:26 AM
Yeah - but a 320d touring sport is less easy to come by and the extra £1500 is out of our budget....
I know what youre saying though - its just a lot of car for the money! lol

paul080803
24-04-12, 11:27 AM
How do you know it has been clocked? It may be a simple error, or a instrument cluster change with a secondhand one?

Does it have BMW service history? The mileage is recorded within the key transponder on a E46 (and other models). Every time it goes into a dealer they put the key in the machine and it records the visit on the main BMW system, vin and mileage etc. If the car is local to a BMW dealer ask them to check the mileage against the key.

dc1984
24-04-12, 12:06 PM
There is a scam going on with new cars where they get the mileage taken back before each service then after 3 years when it goes for it's mot and they sell a car that's showing say 50k when in reality it's probably done at least double that.
You think your getting a bargain when in reality your paying well over the odds for a high mileage car.

rubachuk
24-04-12, 12:31 PM
I understand your dilema. I was in the same situation just before Xmas. I looked at a Galaxy with 80k on the clocks and full dealer service history to back it up, absolutely fantastic condition. Price agreed, deposit ready and I did the MOT check which showed the previous mileage at 213k :eek:

I was sorely sorely tempted, but in the end end I settled for phoning the seller and calling him some names.

To finish the story I went to look at another car within a few miles of the first a week later. I was expecting it to be the same car to be honest, but it wasn't, it was a dog. Again though, 80k on the clock with FSH to back it up and when I checked the MOT history it showed 186k.

Both cars had just been MOTd at the same garage within a few days of each other. Reported to the Police and VOSA who TBH didn't seem too interested.

Pistol Pete
24-04-12, 12:34 PM
lol just dont mention any of this to Rich. He isnt a fan of these IIRC.

Mileage thing.....would ring alarm bells for me, but if the HPI came back clean? Hmmm, odd.

Will F
24-04-12, 01:39 PM
I know - thats why I am in two minds - when I first noticed the MOT check, I thought No way. Then thought I may as well do a Hpi to confirm my fears (ringer/stolen etc) but it was fine!

I didnt know that about the key - good to know. But the car is MILERS away, so I could only do that at my local dealer if I bought it. (which defeats the object! lol)

It could be a simple clock swap I guess, but the car only has history up to 30k then a few receipts....

phazer
24-04-12, 01:42 PM
A lot of 320d's (and similar Audis) are tampered with at the end of a lease period to avoid the excess mileage charges. Is there anything to suggest it's been a lease either corporate or private?

Having said that, I wouldn't touch it. You'll have no end of grief trying to move it on later if someone spots the same problem.

SimonTW
24-04-12, 01:47 PM
Could the mileage just have been entered wrong and submitted on one of the MOT's? How much has been taken off?

Will F
24-04-12, 02:05 PM
I thought that Si - but there are two discrepancies...

In 2009 it was 113k
In 2010 it was 128k
In 2011 it was 108k
Now its approx 123k

So it could be anywhere around 150k ish now...! Interior looks pretty good though, with only a tiny bit of wear on the bolster (alcantara not leather)

dc1984
24-04-12, 02:20 PM
I thought that Si - but there are two discrepancies...

In 2009 it was 113k
In 2010 it was 128k
In 2011 it was 108k
Now its approx 123k

So it could be anywhere around 150k ish now...! Interior looks pretty good though, with only a tiny bit of wear on the bolster (alcantara not leather)

If it was me mate I would stay well clear, just my opinion though;)

Jack
24-04-12, 02:29 PM
That mileage does look fishy to me. I could imagine one record being out whilst the rest were in line, but for it to suddenly lose 20k and go from there? Makes you wonder if its dropped anymore than that along the way too. The lack of history doesn't bode well either.

Having said that, I wouldn't touch it. You'll have no end of grief trying to move it on later if someone spots the same problem.
Agreed with phazer. If you're having doubts, that means in future when trying to shuffle it on someone else will have doubts too.

I'd say walk away and hold out for another one.

Stuart
24-04-12, 03:14 PM
Don't touch it!!!

Whats the budget? I'm looking at 330D's (in any format along as the spec and price is right)

Will F
24-04-12, 03:51 PM
330D Tourings are mostly autos and the manuals (post 2002 - as older are gash) are silly money for what they are!
Budget is around £4k
I have seen a few E90s slipping in the 4ks now too! (not Sports though obviously)

Stuart
24-04-12, 03:55 PM
yeah I saw most are autos... I'm keeping my eye out for a manual as I don't fancy the near 3.0 petrol fuel consumption of the 330D on auto lol

John
24-04-12, 04:47 PM
I'd avoid, what happens when you come to sell? And you are aware of the mileage correction.

Bubba
24-04-12, 07:44 PM
is the milage not stored in the ECU? if so possibly had a new ECU?

MK999
24-04-12, 07:48 PM
I'd look at common problems with the dash display or ECU as Bubba says.

Pretty much every E34 I looked at (much older BMW I know) had had a replacement set of dials at one point as the backlight on the odometer fails. Not really anything to worry about, just a common fault.

Novasport
24-04-12, 08:54 PM
Seems pointless adjusting the mileage by such a small amount, I would understand it if it was taken down to say 70,000 as it falls below the phsycological barrier of the big 100k!
Possily clerical errors on more than one occasion
BMW's should show a manipulation dot on the instrument cluster if the mileage has been tampered with, might be worth getting the seller to take a picture of the mileage display when the ignition is on. There are some clever people out there that may have worked out how to get around it though so dont just rely upon this. The dot looks like this...

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll305/eurojulien/d3ca2752.jpg

The dot comes up when there is a mileage descrepancy due to alteration as there is a difference between recorded mileage between two or more control units. The descrepancy is usually between the KOMBI(Instrument cluster which is a control unit) and something like the LSZ control unit(The light switch unit).
If you can get the key to a dealer they will be able to read the information stored on it which includes the mileage. Although the information is only as accurate as its last update in the ignition. If the car can be taken to a dealer they can check it using the DIS/GT1 and check the mileage stored in any of the control units.
If in doubt, walk away. Another will come up eventually.

Will F
24-04-12, 09:33 PM
Excellent advice all and thanks Novasport for that info - I will ask the seller for a decent pic of the milometer...

For info - the car is this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-BMW-320D-M-SPORT-/140743558875?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20c4f846db

Seems he has forgotten about the discrepancy already!

kent14sr
24-04-12, 09:50 PM
That drivers seat looks pretty worn for 124k!!

I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole. If he was a genuine seller I am sure he would have ammended his advert to say about the mileage discrepency or taken it off sale whilst he investigates it!

Stuart
24-04-12, 10:01 PM
I looked at at 130k 2008 330 with cloth interior the other week and it was in better condition than that!!!

Our passat has done 160k and the seats are still 'as new'!

Jeff16v
24-04-12, 10:09 PM
Wouldn't bother with it tbh Will, try for leather also.

Will F
24-04-12, 10:50 PM
Really? I didnt think the bolster was too bad tbh - then I am used to Vauxhalls that last 40k! lol

He just sent me a pic of the milometer and its 'clear'.

Stu - you going E92 then?

Stuart
24-04-12, 10:58 PM
Really? I didnt think the bolster was too bad tbh - then I am used to Vauxhalls that last 40k! lol

He just sent me a pic of the milometer and its 'clear'.

Stu - you going E92 then?

Errrrrrr, don't understand e numbers.... I want a post 06 car, but ideally a late 07 as that's got better toys lol

TeddyThom
26-04-12, 05:46 PM
Errrrrrr, don't understand e numbers.... I want a post 06 car, but ideally a late 07 as that's got better toys lol
Usually the additives in sweets etc that make your kids etc go nuts for the afternoon :thumb:

scott.parker
26-04-12, 07:25 PM
From what Ive seen in BMW's that seat looks like it's seen more like 200K IMO

Will you know you pay for what you get, you need to hold out and sell some more cars! lol

Will F
27-04-12, 08:42 AM
Yeah - decided against it in the end. I am watching it on eBay though - but I bet it will go for silly money. Then the buyer will do a check and hopefully find the mileage joy and refuse to buy!