PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe it !!!!

NovaSi
26-07-03, 08:25 AM
Was driving home from work last night and a loud noise grabbed my attention, it was definitely coming from my car. About 5 mins from home smoke was coming out my bonnet (I was crappin myself) As soon as I got home I had a look but couldn't see nothing cooking. But now whenever I try to start my car it just makes a noise, the engine doesn't even try and start. I believe to my knowledge this is the starter motor but I could be wrong.

Just want to know if anyone has had this problem and can help me solve it? I will go to my local scrappy today and see how much he wants a starter motor for, but I don't fancy replacing it if that is not the problem lol.

Any advice will be brilliant

Mark
26-07-03, 08:36 AM
What sort of noise was it making?

NovaSi
26-07-03, 08:37 AM
I really can't put that in words.

Lets just say it was high pitch

Mark
26-07-03, 08:48 AM
If it was high pitched there is a very good chance that you starter motor engaged and stuck on, does the car just CLICK when you try and start it now?

NovaSi
26-07-03, 08:59 AM
IT just makes that high pitch noise and thats it.

Mark
26-07-03, 09:05 AM
Ah yes, definately sounds like the starter sticking. Two things to check after fitting the new starter, your ignition, wd40 down the barrel, the keys can sometimes stick in the start position and the second is a bit more tedious, check all earths have good contact to the body, and the battery terminals are done up tightly not forgeting to properly check the condition of wires going to the starter itself.

Hope that helps you.
CorsaNova

burgo
26-07-03, 09:15 AM
i agree with corasanova i recon u start motor got stuck ingaged and burnt out (hense the smoke)

NovaSi
26-07-03, 09:22 AM
Yep so I was right it was the starter motor - off to scrappy now, just hope they have got a Nova in :D

NovaSi
26-07-03, 04:32 PM
Just took the starter motor off, it looks very burnt lol, my local scrappy closed at 4 gotta wait until 9:30am in the morning - oh well. I phoned them up, it's gonna cost me ?15 exchange, so ain't that bad, luckly

Mark
26-07-03, 05:23 PM
Looks like it's going to be a nice simple fix then. Good luck!

NovaSi
27-07-03, 05:41 PM
:( nope it hasn't been nice and simple :(

I replaced my starter motor earlier today and now that works. The problem is the engine wll not fire!!! I don't understand? The starter motor works and I can hear it trying to start my engine but it just won't fire. Any symptons? I have removed my spark plugs and can see fuel is getting to the engine and I also checked to see if they spark and they do.

Can anyone advise me what to do now? Any help would be much appreciated

Mark
27-07-03, 05:51 PM
Hello,
What model of Nova is it?

NovaSi
27-07-03, 06:02 PM
1.3 SR (Mk1)

Mark
27-07-03, 06:05 PM
So you have fuel and spark, with the syptoms from the starter problem aswell there is a real possibility that the timing belt may have jumped a tooth, so check your timing before going any further.

NovaSi
27-07-03, 06:44 PM
OK took off plate and can see my timing belt. How do I check if the timing is out by a tooth? Should there be marking at all?

Thanks corsanova for all the help you are providing, cheers

Mark
27-07-03, 06:57 PM
Right here goes.

firstly make sure that the number 1 piston is on the firing stroke, easiest way to do that is, number 1 cyclinder is the one nearest the timing belt, take ditributor cap off, check that the rotor arm is pointing to number 1 cyclinder, so trace ht lead back to contact.
with timing cover off, look at top sprocket (cam shaft), there should be a notch on the front of the pulley that should line up with the notch on the back plate that the timing cover screws to, which you can see just over the top of the pulley. these lines should be inline, if not timing is out.
Hope this helps.

NovaSi
27-07-03, 07:52 PM
Just checked timing. The timing pointer is inline with the notch on the pulley with piston no.1 at the top. However the camshaft sprocket is not inline with the notch from the backplate, is this critical?

Cheers

Mark
27-07-03, 08:14 PM
Could be a problem, my mobile has just been pm'd to you, give me a call.

NovaSi
27-07-03, 08:20 PM
ok matey cheers

NovaSi
28-07-03, 03:45 PM
Hi mate just got my motor starting finally :D My timing was out by 5 tooths so I went to my Haynes manual on how to readjust the timing and my baby fires everytime - thanks for your help, it was really appreciated thank you.

ade
28-07-03, 04:03 PM
should be a notch on the flywheel = line this up with the pin on the timing cover (engage 1st gear with engine off and rock the car back and forward) - then look at the dizzy cap - if its pointing at number one plug its Top dead centre (TDC).

What kind of burning smell was it? Have you checked your oil/water levels - did the engine itself sound different?

Dunno but could it be the coil? could the starter motor have fried any other electrical/mechanical parts?

:?

NovaSi
28-07-03, 04:09 PM
Ade if you read above your post I've got my car firing again.

The problem was the starter motor - replaced that BUT my Nova still wouldn't start so checked timing - it was out. I re-adjusted it and car starts everytime - thanks for your advice though :)

rgv_stu
28-07-03, 06:02 PM
should be a notch on the flywheel = line this up with the pin on the timing cover (engage 1st gear with engine off and rock the car back and forward) - then look at the dizzy cap - if its pointing at number one plug its Top dead centre (TDC).

What kind of burning smell was it? Have you checked your oil/water levels - did the engine itself sound different?

Dunno but could it be the coil? could the starter motor have fried any other electrical/mechanical parts?

:?

for starters there aint a notch on the flywheel, its on the fanbelt pulley
. also you shouldnt use that pin/notch to line up the bottom end as that is at 5/10deg btdc . if you take off the bottom pulley there is a marker on the crank pully and the bottom of the oil pump casing which should be used to line up.

Mark
28-07-03, 07:07 PM
It's good to see the car's o.k. again.

NovaSi
28-07-03, 07:23 PM
yep I am really happy that I'm back in my Nova :P