PDA

View Full Version : One for the Truck Drivers, check your wheels

Royston
23-04-12, 07:09 PM
Some friends of mine have just bought a 7.5 tonne truck for moving there cars about.

The N/side Inner wheel appeared loose on arrival, even I wasn't prepared for this.......

Wheel hub, a bit polished in places, and a cracked disc
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/1297cc/IMG-20120416-00165.jpg

The outer Wheel, a bit polished (scrap)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/1297cc/IMG-20120416-00164.jpg

The inner Wheel:eek: definitely scrap
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/1297cc/IMG-20120416-00163.jpg
Never seen anything as bad...............obviously the wheel centre had fatigue cracked that propagated that far the centre fell out:wtf: seen fatigue cracks in rims but nothing like that, don't think there has been much routine maintenance (it had been on recovery, and Test Exempt), guy reckons it was stopped by VOSA 6 weeks ago with nothing highlighted, BullS**T:tard:

Lee
23-04-12, 07:53 PM
Split rims FTW :)

Mike
23-04-12, 07:59 PM
Bloody hell.

mowgli
23-04-12, 08:11 PM
i'm not sure of it being a 7.5 tonner.. 7.5t wagons only have 6 stud hubs, and what about all those spring leafs???. this wagon is at least a 10tonner, maybe as big as a 16tonner(17t run 10 stud), thus i think its probably properly illegal anyway, check he's actually allowed to drive it.
we have had rims go before, and then only minor cracks, but that is simply abuse.

what make is it? i'm guessing iveco or daf, simply by the brakes

Royston
23-04-12, 08:41 PM
Your nearly right Mr Mowgli, you are very observant Sir:thumb: I doff my caplol(if I had one) it is a downrated 10 tonne Iveco Eurocargo to 7.5tonnes, I have checked the documentation.

So far I have identified the folowing faults, in prep for test

LED rear lights, no fog lamps
No rear reflectors
No offside indicator side repeater
Cracked screen

No doubt the list will lengthen:roll:

Pretty sure all the discs / pads will need replacing

Andy
23-04-12, 08:47 PM
Vosa magnet lol
I bet those leaf springs have been "sad" in their time lol

mowgli
23-04-12, 09:57 PM
Your nearly right Mr Mowgli, you are very observant Sir:thumb: I doff my caplol(if I had one) it is a downrated 10 tonne Iveco Eurocargo to 7.5tonnes, I have checked the documentation.

So far I have identified the folowing faults, in prep for test

LED rear lights, no fog lamps
No rear reflectors
No offside indicator side repeater
Cracked screen

No doubt the list will lengthen:roll:

Pretty sure all the discs / pads will need replacing

7.5t vehicles don't need rear marker boards, and only trailers need red triangle reflectors....
and ring the iveco dealer for the side repeaters, most non genuine places struggle to get the correct one, & last week i got a gen lh repeater (for the wide box body type for £10.20+vat

as for the brakes, cargo stuff is dead cheap, but you might need the infamous 65mm socket to undo the front hubs.. i can't remember what size is on the rears, its been a long time.. i take it that its straight air brakes on a 10t chassis...so it should have an adjuster to wind the calipers off..the 7.5t ones are a doddle with the air>hydraulic setup...
i can't imagine its carrying weight is much though, as the 10t chassis is quite a lot bigger.

Royston
23-04-12, 10:09 PM
The braking system appears to be air over hydraulic.

The truck will have had reflectors on the original lights which were removed for the LED's and none fitted to replace them I suspect

The rear discs and pads appeared to be cheap enough, think it will need fronts too

Please to say it isn't mine, once the bits and pieces are sorted it should be OK.

It has a upper carrying deck, I was wondering about its payload with the body, they want it to carry 2 offroad land Rovers, will reccomend the get it run over a weigh bridge unladen/laden to be sure on capacity

We use to run a fleet of Eurocargos 7.5t and 18t for driver training, they seemed pretty good overal, when maintained!!

mowgli
23-04-12, 10:23 PM
if its air/hyd, then the calipers get wound back by using an allen key in the hex on one of the pistons. you have to push it in hard & then turn it.

just remember to lift it really high up so the axle oil stays in, when you dismantle the hub..

eurocargos are ace.. tectors are not.

there is another thing. check with the vosa people about whether your age of wagon needs the new super wide angle mirrors retro fitting or not.

do they have an O licence, or are they getting it on a limited type thingy, like horse boxes?

it will most liklely be too heavy, & if they put a trailer weighing more than 750kg fully loaded on, they will need a class one or wagon& drag licence.

Royston
24-04-12, 06:23 AM
It is for private use.

One of the lads does have C + E, (we trained him) I am a little concerned over the amount of payload they have, without a trailer for their intended purpose!, time will tell.

We found our 18t tectors were fine, mind we didn't run loaded

mowgli
24-04-12, 05:55 PM
The 18t tector was more of a badge job, than the 7.5t... They fitted some revvy tinny 4cylinder, instead of the run forever 6pot...

Bubba
24-04-12, 07:40 PM
weld it back together :d

Danny s-p
24-04-12, 07:59 PM
go to fleet factores in bowburn 20 mins from were you work they will have all the parts u need to fix it cheep

Royston
24-04-12, 08:22 PM
go to fleet factores in bowburn 20 mins from were you work they will have all the parts u need to fix it cheep

I'm please to say it isn't mine, I think the replacement parts are from Nets

I have one of these to move the toys
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/1297cc/DSCF3775.jpg