PDA

View Full Version : Taxing car online

Tony M
23-04-12, 02:19 PM
If I tax my car online can I then go straight out and drive it or do I have to wait for the tax disc to come through the post? I know you can print off a receipt to say you have bought it but I didn't know if you could still get done for not displaying an in date tax disc?

Jack
23-04-12, 02:29 PM
Yes, you get a 5 working day grace period (although I thought they'd increased that but it appears not).

However, thats only if you ordered the tax disc whilst you have an existing, active, one. So if its expired already, or you're SORN'ed, you have to wait.

Tony M
23-04-12, 02:41 PM
Cheers Jack :thumb: Looks like I'll have to wait then, insurance company said they would send a certificate of motor insurance through email but still not got it so can't go post office.

Spudly
23-04-12, 03:16 PM
Afaik, the offence is not to display, so you can still receive a fine for not actually having the disc in the car, regardless of whether or not the car is taxed!

swedge
23-04-12, 03:20 PM
only fools and horses style, "tax in the post" sticker on the window

Spudly
23-04-12, 03:22 PM
Or a Claude Greengrass stylee with a beermat in the window lol

autoworksnovasport
23-04-12, 03:24 PM
http://www.trottervanhire.com/Event%20Pics/midwife-on-emergency-call.jpg

Iain
23-04-12, 03:38 PM
However, thats only if you ordered the tax disc whilst you have an existing, active, one. So if its expired already, or you're SORN'ed, you have to wait.

Really? Oops lol I thought the 5 day rule applied whether you were re-taxing or coming off SORN. You'd have to be unlucky to be pulled and done for it, just don't park it on public roads.

turbojolt
23-04-12, 04:06 PM
Really? Oops lol I thought the 5 day rule applied whether you were re-taxing or coming off SORN. You'd have to be unlucky to be pulled and done for it, just don't park it on public roads.

Told you :P

Iain
23-04-12, 04:08 PM
You can't blame me for not believing you...

turbojolt
23-04-12, 04:10 PM
Been right a couple of times lately, or is it just a case the mowgli hasn't been on line much lol