PDA

View Full Version : gte engine/gsi engine

scotte
25-07-03, 08:48 PM
are the gsi engine (non cat) and gte engines the same.i know some came with siemens ecu and some with bosch are they interchangable.ie can i run a simens ecu and loom on an engine that was origianally running a bosch system?

Evolution
25-07-03, 09:10 PM
I think you can swap the ECU's around, but it is a bit of a hassle, and thus more hassle than its worth, other than that bosch ecus are easier to chip.
The only thing i dont understand about the gsi/gte engines was when it came to insurance.
most companies didnt have problem insuring me for a gsi, but when i said gte they said they couldnt do it. it took me ages to find a company that would insure me for the gte.
i think the gte has something like 2/3more bhp and a manufacturers spec of 115mph rather than the 114mph of the gsi. hardly a major difference!

dave.gsi
26-07-03, 12:43 AM
gte insurance was about ?40 more than gsi insurance, thats why i got a gsi (nicer car inside but has girlie front end lol)

Jim
26-07-03, 01:32 AM
gte insurance was about ?40 more than gsi insurance, thats why i got a gsi (nicer car inside but has girlie front end lol)

Girlie front end :o

Jim

scotte
26-07-03, 08:44 AM
so back to the question can i just swap the looms over??????

novax
26-07-03, 11:53 PM
if it an early GSi then they are swappable, if there is a toothed wheel on the GSi engine then they arent.

Aragorn
27-07-03, 12:23 AM
u do need to swap the ENTIRE loom tho

u cant just swap ECU's as the pinout and sensor arrangement is different

i also think the oil and water temp sensors MAY be different between the bosch and siemens models although i cant find any info to back this up except a wiring diagram in haynes