PDA

View Full Version : Machined hubs for bigblock CVs/Audi bearings - thoughts

Iain
16-04-12, 10:01 AM
So the usual process for machining the inner hub down is, from what I gather:

- Machine the pressed in section down by 2mm
- Shorten the length by 2mm
- Take 2mm off the rear strengthened section on the back of the mounting face
- Machine the diameter of the raised section down on the back to fit inside the Nova hub

Instead of doing all this, I'm wondering if it's worth just having the last step done, which would widen the track by 2mm at the front. Could then machine down the caliper carrier 2mm to centre the caliper, if it can't cope with the extra distance on the slide bolts?

Does this make any sense? Thoughts?

Link for info: http://www.vauxhall-sport-forum.com/phpBB2/fitting-big-block-cvs-to-a-corsa-correctly-t16071.html

autoworksnovasport
16-04-12, 10:11 AM
why would you want an extra 2mm???

Iain
16-04-12, 10:44 AM
Cos it sounds easier/cheaper/safer than machining a shedload of hub, and I thought a bit of extra track was a good thing?

Iain
16-04-12, 11:17 AM
Or is it not easier to machine the front face of the hub 2mm back then? Is there a reason why this shouldn't be done?

Gareth_C
16-04-12, 11:46 AM
doing it this way is the future im not sure about your sugestions Iain in regards to which way is best but I know people are doing it to stop the stress when cornering. Ill be doing this when dave gets them made lol

Iain
16-04-12, 11:52 AM
Yeah I'm already convinced on it. I have some knuckles, Audi bearings and new big block hubs so just working out the best/easiest/most reliable/simplest way to have them machined.

thegingerwhinger
16-04-12, 04:00 PM
when you get them done try getting some pics of how its done and maybe do a "how to"?

Iain
17-04-12, 03:12 PM
Yeah can do Whinger. Just seeking advice for how to get them machined at the mo...

Mieran
17-04-12, 03:27 PM
Why?

I used 22 spline shafts and hubs on a Ph2 LET and never had problems, doubt a standard XE will eat hubs.

turbojolt
17-04-12, 04:04 PM
There are other factors to consider a let road car wouldn't be under the constants stresses as a track car such as iains

Iain
17-04-12, 06:08 PM
Equal length shafts, thus big block hubs.

mowgli
17-04-12, 06:59 PM
iain, just take a std hub as a pattern & the bits to an engineer & tell him what you want to end up with. don't trouble yourself with the minutae, just trouble yourself with the price.

Benn
17-04-12, 08:37 PM
Never heard of making them shorter... The inner bit needs to be thinner yes, but sure that's all i did...

stt
18-04-12, 10:26 AM
edit - i should read the post properly lol!

as for the 2mm, its up to you - it wont make a huge difference to the handling either way imo

if you are going to the hassle of getting some machining done on them then it wont cost much if any more to get it done completely

I have decided to have the wheels 2mm further out so i can gain an extra 2mm clearance between my wilwoods and the wheels ( im using custom brake bells to space the disk in as much as possible!

Iain
18-04-12, 07:03 PM
OK cheers, handily I have some of the 'very' machined hubs so I can take that with me and say 'Make this look like that without taking the inner down all the way'. It does seem a shedload of work taking down the inner instead of removing 2mm off the mounting face though

Cheers guys