PDA

View Full Version : New Renault twizy, anyone seen or heard of them???

dc1984
13-04-12, 10:26 PM
Has anyone seen one of these?

Just seen the advert for it on tv:tard:
http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/renault-twizy-now-sale

Seems to be a few extra charges like battery hire:wtf:

David.

_Jake
13-04-12, 10:51 PM
looks like a kids push chair on steroids..

88ESR
13-04-12, 10:59 PM
I've read one or two things about them..

Ok if you like that sort of thing..

Renault are playing it clever with their electric cars..

Unlike the other makers, they are hiring the batteries to you on a monthly basis instead of banging the whole £5K onto the price of the car..

Their cars are cheaper initially so unless the other manufacturers get on board, Renault may take the lead..

Not with me though...

I'll stick with petrol...

..and diesel.

dc1984
13-04-12, 11:00 PM
Max range of 60 miles for 3 1/2 hours charge means no long trips or driving at night.

88ESR
13-04-12, 11:02 PM
I think that particular model is recommended for urban/town driving only..

Stuart
13-04-12, 11:27 PM
For most people an electric car with a range of 100 miles would be more Then adequate..... Only issue is the govt will have to massively up the du on electricity and we will also need more nuclear power stations to cope too.

I'd have an electric car for commuting and a derv for weekend/long journeys.

Danb1987
13-04-12, 11:35 PM
I don't particularly like the car or electric cars but the track on the tv advert is no1 on guettas album lol

When my 5week old daughter crys in the cav we bang that on and she goes quite lol

Stuart
13-04-12, 11:46 PM
Why don't you like electric cars? Let's assume they look like everything else out there and have te same toys as current cars have... So what s there not to like compared to an ic engine?

Danb1987
13-04-12, 11:51 PM
Just the fact that if they run out of charge mid trip..... What do you do?

Obviously in years to come when there's charging stations everywhere etc it may be more appealing but to have to charge most up for 12 hours for x amount of miles doesn't really appeal to me.

Stuart
13-04-12, 11:55 PM
You obviously don't go out with half a trips worth of petro do you? You'd be more mindful of how ou use a car with an electric one. The use case is mostly aimed at commuters and the mundane trips that are never more than 20-40 miles at a time.

Most will charge to 75% in 6 hrs, which would be ok n economy 7 over night :)

Danb1987
14-04-12, 12:08 AM
I suppose so, like you say with an electric car you'd have to plan short journeys and just general runs to the supermarket.

I suppose one would be ok for the likes of my missus as she never ever goes further than the local tescos in her car,

What would the insurance be on an electric car, no congestion charges.. Instant torque (low/no tax)

It's it's only the battery life that puts me off them atm but I'm sure things will change.

mk1nova_rich
14-04-12, 12:15 AM
Suppose everyone went out and bought an electric car...the National Grid would be thrown into total chaos :tard:

How can people believe they are 'emission free' and all that bull****. £45 a month just to hire a battery?! :wtf: buy a push bike, far cheaper and more reliable and you won't look half as much of a **** as you would driving that!

TeddyThom
14-04-12, 12:33 AM
buy a push bike, far cheaper and more reliable and you won't look half as much of a **** as you would driving that!

This.

bazil
14-04-12, 12:38 AM
Hand in your man card on your way out Davie lol

🌈

steviegsi
14-04-12, 01:00 AM
Twizzy with doors = £7235
4500 miles per year = 86miles per week @ £45 rental per month = £540 per year = £1620 over 3 years.

= £8855

My car does about 86 miles to £20 of super unleaded = £1040 per year = £3120 over 3 years + about £2000 ish for what my car is worth = £5120.

Obviously tax/ insurance/ maintenance would need to be added in for my car, but I'm sure an ELECTRIC Renault is not going to be without it's problems..... Nice idea and I'm sure one day it'll be the way forward ( leaving car people to have a play with petrol toys on thier weekends ) but IMO it's not at all a sensible option now, and even with a few quid saved each year , it would need to be massive savings for me to buzz to work in that child's pram at 50mph. When instead I can sit at 70 mph in complete, stable, quiet, comfort in a car that seats 5 and can be fuelled when I am away from the house.

Edit - but people will buy them in the misguided idea that they are saving the planet and saving lots of money at the same time. The same people that buy diesels when they do fcuk all miles thinking they are saving a fortune because they get 40+mpg, even though the car cost thousands more and has more chance/things to break than the petrol equivalent. :roll:

All IMO obviously :thumb:

dc1984
14-04-12, 08:28 AM
I was thinking along the lines of, if you bought one to commute to/from work and it was in a city, in the summer it should be ok but in winter you would have your lights, heaters etc on and would be more likely to get stuck in traffic for hours on end.
Would sitting in traffic with lights etc on not significantly reduce the mileage you could do and then possibly leave you stranded miles from home?

As for future charging stations, who is gouing to want to have a car at there garge for 3hours so it can charge up???
It would need to be like a multiple-story carpark for the garage to make any money.

David.

Stuart
14-04-12, 08:44 AM
I've spent the past 2 days adding a wireless charger to an electric sports car, that little ability on its own will make electric cars far more viable as you can have charging pads burried in the road/drive outside your house etc

Hobbit
14-04-12, 08:46 AM
We just need life size scalextric tracks, then there would be no need for batterys :)

dc1984
14-04-12, 09:02 AM
I've spent the past 2 days adding a wireless charger to an electric sports car, that little ability on its own will make electric cars far more viable as you can have charging pads burried in the road/drive outside your house etc

That would make more sense Stuart, they would be better going with the lithium style like all the new power tools are using now. My old 18v cordless drill used to take over an hour to charge where as my new one only takes 22mins:)

steviegsi
14-04-12, 01:12 PM
We just need life size scalextric tracks, then there would be no need for batterys :)

What happens when one would come off? There would be lines of people on the hard shoulder shouting " put me back on!"

Stuart
14-04-12, 05:17 PM
That would make more sense Stuart, they would be better going with the lithium style like all the new power tools are using now. My old 18v cordless drill used to take over an hour to charge where as my new one only takes 22mins:)

They are using lipo packs, no one in their rot mind would use nimh etc for a car.

Edd
14-04-12, 05:52 PM
Electric cars MAY take off in years to come

Thankfully the worlds oil wont run out in my lifetime meaning I will always have petrol so dont care about crap battery cars lol

Jack
14-04-12, 06:28 PM
^ might not be able to afford it though lol

You obviously don't go out with half a trips worth of petro do you? You'd be more mindful of how ou use a car with an electric one.
What if I get a call at 11pm at night from my daughter because she's missed the last bus/train/whatever or her car has broken down or suchlike and needs a quick pickup? I can't just pop to the local 24hr petrol station and stick a tenner in then toddle off and pick her up.

Good, but it would need a massive range to be useful - case in point, places I'm looking to rent either don't have driveways or parking isn't guaranteed straight outside. I'm guessing/hoping there's ways to stop other people parking up and stealing your charge too? lol

I still can't see electricity being a viable option in the next 10-20 years unless the price of oil goes disasterously high, in which case the electric boxes will be made of wood and metal only I guess? Whats needed is a renewable direct replacement for petrol or diesel, usable in existing cars, and that won't happen as the car industry needs everyone to buy new cars every 5-10 years to stay afloat lol

Nova_Tek
14-04-12, 08:00 PM
I'd rather walk!

Stuart
14-04-12, 08:06 PM
^ might not be able to afford it though lol

What if I get a call at 11pm at night from my daughter because she's missed the last bus/train/whatever or her car has broken down or suchlike and needs a quick pickup? I can't just pop to the local 24hr petrol station and stick a tenner in then toddle off and pick her up.

Good, but it would need a massive range to be useful - case in point, places I'm looking to rent either don't have driveways or parking isn't guaranteed straight outside. I'm guessing/hoping there's ways to stop other people parking up and stealing your charge too? lol

I still can't see electricity being a viable option in the next 10-20 years unless the price of oil goes disasterously high, in which case the electric boxes will be made of wood and metal only I guess? Whats needed is a renewable direct replacement for petrol or diesel, usable in existing cars, and that won't happen as the car industry needs everyone to buy new cars every 5-10 years to stay afloat lol

The chargers can be 'tagged' so they will only work with their paired base/car, but that won't stop the evil IC people nicking your space lol

Again, the core point for electric cars is for city use where you don't need range and parking is mostly sorted with permits etc.