PDA

View Full Version : best primer?

jonn
10-04-12, 08:54 PM
what would be the best primer to go straight on to steel and what would be the best way to under seal under neat car, sills, inner arches ect...

i was thinking first good primer, red oxide, brush on hammerite paint, then waxoyl.

dont ever want to see rust again lol

autoworksnovasport
10-04-12, 08:55 PM
high build etch

Balley
10-04-12, 09:00 PM
I am using Zinc primer, and high build. then I will stone chip underneath and then gloss on top of that!

autoworksnovasport
10-04-12, 09:06 PM
why zinc primer??

Balley
10-04-12, 09:09 PM
As I was told it is good a preventing rust.

autoworksnovasport
10-04-12, 09:11 PM
same as any primer :)

zinc primer is mostly used for things that need welding more at later dates as you can weld without grinding it off

Balley
10-04-12, 09:26 PM
That's is maybe why I was told to use it. Don't know if you have seen my project but I have done a bit of welding to her so far.

I think the 2k High build is etch though :)

Novasport
10-04-12, 09:51 PM
Should explain why Zinc(Galvanising the best example) is so usefull in the prevention of the onset of corrosion....

WHAT IS RUST CORROSION?

Rust is the product we get when iron goes through the corrosion process.

Iron and steel are not found free in nature. Both are extracted from iron ore in a blast furnace or electro oven. Large amounts of energy are introduced into the iron ore in the extraction process, when this stored up energy is released, the iron has a tendency to corrode back to its natural form "iron oxide" or RUST.

Metals that are found free in nature are stable and are classified as being more noble but even metals found in nature have varying electrical potential Gold has a potential of 1.498 v whereas Antimony has a potential of only 0.152v once we add man made metals and Alloys to this a very basic scale of a metals nobility would look some thing like this.

METALS NOBILITY TABLE

GOLD
TITANIUM
HIGH GRADE STAINLESS STEEL
BRONZE
50/50 LEAD TIN SOLDER
COPPER
LOW GRADE STAINLESS STEEL
STEEL & CAST IRON
ALUMINIUM
ZINC

Gold being the most NOBLE / CATHODIC + (positive) Zinc being the least NOBLE most ANODIC - (negative) The less noble metal will be consumed by the more noble metal when they are connected by an electrolyte (water). For example sacrificial anodes are made of zinc when used to protect steel because the zinc will be sacrificed to corrosion and the steel will stay in tact, this is known as cathodic protection. There are other less known metals and alloys within this scale but for the sake of clarity these have been omitted.

Courtesey of www.rust.co.uk (http://www.rust.co.uk)

Balley
10-04-12, 09:59 PM
Cheers NovaSport, makes sense!

16v Nova Kev
10-04-12, 10:02 PM
if only vauxhall used it years ago.

Novasport
10-04-12, 10:10 PM
From what I have read, the best protection for clean metal is epoxy resin primer due to its properties. If I were to protect a floor I would first clean back to bare metal and clean with a phosphate cleaner to passivate it then apply an epoxy primer, apply a rubberised stone chip then overpaint in 1 pack body colour.

Novasport
10-04-12, 10:15 PM
Starting to become an advert for these guys but they have been the most helpful & knowledgable of the people I have dealt with in this field

A good read...

http://www.rust.co.uk/right-products.cfm

jonn
10-04-12, 10:18 PM
thanks lads, i will give the high build etch primer a go

Novasport
10-04-12, 10:32 PM
:wtf::roll:

Benn
10-04-12, 10:38 PM
POR15 is a epoxy resin primer iirc...

A good rubberised sealant is really needed. As it will take any stone impact or anything and they will bounce off... I've used it loads at the bodyshop and now done the whole of the under side of mine with it.

Novasport
10-04-12, 10:43 PM
POR is the same as www.rust.co.uk (http://www.rust.co.uk) sell but more expensive no doubt.
3M do a good rubberised stone guard

Benn
10-04-12, 10:44 PM
I'd have thought so, it's not cheap.

Yeah 3M is the stuff i use. Best stuff going.

When i've paint brushed it on (is better sprayed but you need a good compresser)

It's a vid, so click it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates%20June%202011%20on/th_Underseal.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates%20June%202011%20on/?action=view&current=Underseal.mp4)

Shows for bendable it is.

Edd
11-04-12, 07:09 AM
thanks lads, i will give the high build etch primer a go
:confused:

Your ask which is this best, get told, then your going to use something else ??!!

jonn
11-04-12, 05:40 PM
:confused:

Your ask which is this best, get told, then your going to use something else ??!!

i would use the POR15 but it cant find any where that sells it over here yet. if i find somewhere i will buy it. i can easily get the etch primer in my local hardware shop.

Nova_Tek
11-04-12, 05:51 PM
In a can Zinc or acid etch or use what Benn used.

Novasport
11-04-12, 06:12 PM
i would use the POR15 but it cant find any where that sells it over here yet. if i find somewhere i will buy it. i can easily get the etch primer in my local hardware shop.

I have linked a website a few times in this thread that sell the equivalent of POR! :roll:

Bubba
11-04-12, 06:15 PM
im just using a 5l tin of zinc phosphate primer.