PDA

View Full Version : Nova Diff How to?

coupehdi
09-04-12, 02:44 PM
Hi guys, my friend has a Nova which he races, after changing the diff for a new one (for differnt track) the big castelated nut on the passengers wheel has been tightened too much causing it to whine and the passengers driveshaft pops out (i assume this is because the diff is being pushed away from the shaft as its too tight)

so basically i wanted to know is there an easy way to adjust the castellated nut to (roughly) the right place, as i said its a race car so a bit of noise wont be important just so long as it truns freely and the driveshafts stay in. i looked haynes manual but its not very clear about how you set it.

Any help would be very much appreciated as i cant find the information anywhere!
Thanks
Tommy

mowgli
09-04-12, 02:58 PM
you need to make a tool up. basically, you get a strong enough piece of flat steel to fit the castelations & weld an old socket to it.. then you can tweak it up with a torque wrench its only 13.3 to 15.9 lbft, so i'm guessing he pulled it up..
haynes offers the trick of if using the original diff (but with different gear) of sinply lining it back up with the original locking mark.
so its pretty simple really

i assume he swapped the pinion gear on the gearbox output shaft too?

as for shafts popping out, overtightening the diff shouldn't have anything to do with this.

coupehdi
09-04-12, 03:02 PM
Thanks, if thats how you do it thats pretty handy to sort out, but i thought it was 13.3 -15.9lbft to get the diff turned at one revolution per second?

mowgli
09-04-12, 03:10 PM
according to my trusty haynes (light blue), you simply don't need massive torque to pull the diff bearings up. you need to tighten it up to the above figures & make sure it turns freely, same as when you do a taper wheel bearing, you only just nip them up.

coupehdi
09-04-12, 03:30 PM
ok good stuff, thanks that sounds alot simpler than i had imagined lol
thanks for your help