PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox sump drain bolt

paul080803
08-04-12, 09:57 PM
Whilst I have the sump plate off the gearbox is it worth have a drain bolt fitted, like a helicoil etc?

I cant think of any reason why not, would make oil changes so much easier!

Andy
08-04-12, 10:04 PM
Not a bad idea,could drill a hole and weld a nut on the inside of the diff pan? Then obviously get a sump bolt and copper washer to fit. i reckon that would be easier.

autoworksnovasport
08-04-12, 10:07 PM
youd be left with the depth of the nut in oil in the box then though probably better off drilling a whole and welding a nut outside the box so you can put a bung in

Andy
08-04-12, 10:09 PM
youd be left with the depth of the nut in oil in the box then though probably better off drilling a whole and welding a nut outside the box so you can put a bung in
Im guessing your meaning clearance issues with the diff?

paul080803
08-04-12, 10:14 PM
Having a good look today I don't think a nut inside would be a issue if placed in the correct place.

I think it would look neater than having it on the outside and there is plenty of smooth area on the outside to mate the copper washer to.

Mieran
08-04-12, 10:15 PM
I've had this idea a while now, be good to see it done.

Andy
08-04-12, 10:16 PM
Put a piece of plasticine/blu tak the size of the nut in the place you are considering,bolt pan on,see if it squashes.

paul080803
08-04-12, 10:19 PM
Put a piece of plasticine/blu tak the size of the nut in the place you are considering,bolt pan on,see if it squashes.

Good idea, will try that!

autoworksnovasport
08-04-12, 10:22 PM
not what i ment was
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/6611/gearboxdrain.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/gearboxdrain.png/)

so if you weld the nut on the outside you will get all the old oil out

paul080803
08-04-12, 10:23 PM
not what i ment was
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/6611/gearboxdrain.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/gearboxdrain.png/)

so if you weld the nut on the outside you will get all the old oil out

That is a good point, on the outside it is!

Novasport
08-04-12, 10:27 PM
For how often you need to change the box oil I would just drop the final drive cover plate off. Gives you chance to check condition and for any swarf.

paul080803
08-04-12, 10:30 PM
But if your lazy, 1 bolt is better than the 8 or so to drop the cover plate! :roll:

Andy
08-04-12, 10:32 PM
But if your lazy, 1 bolt is better than the 8 or so to drop the cover plate! :roll:
And a sump bolt will have a magnet to catch said swarf.

bazil
08-04-12, 10:39 PM
So do you have a alloy nut?

On my gearbox the diff cover is alloy not steel, and the diff cover sits at an angle not flat like a sump,

IMO its wasted time and effort, only auto gearboxes need regular oil changes.

paul080803
08-04-12, 10:46 PM
I hadnt thought of the fact the sump is alloy.

It is going to get quite tricky, defeating the orginal object!

Novasport
08-04-12, 10:47 PM

But if you are so lazy you would not go to the trouble of removing the plate, drilling a whole, welding on a boss, adding a drain plug & refitting it all.

How often do you change your transmission oil?

Novasport
08-04-12, 10:47 PM
Early small block boxes have steel sump plates, not sure about big block though

paul080803
08-04-12, 10:52 PM
Plate is already off, box is out the car and will be for some time.

Main reason was when I removed the plate the oil was really thick and sludgey so when it goes back in with fresh oil I will change it again after a few hundred miles so wanted to make it easy.

Plus I am a strong believer that if you make maintenance as easy as possible, for anything, then it will be maintained correctly! ie if gearbox oil change is easy then I will do it when I do a engine oil change.

paul080803
08-04-12, 10:52 PM
Early small block boxes have steel sump plates, not sure about big block though

It is a F16

Andy
08-04-12, 10:56 PM
I would do it personally.
Gearbox oil is ALWAYS overlooked by people when it needs doing more frequent than folk think.
Every other car make has a gearbox sump plug and refill plug.
Speaks volumes imo.

Mieran
08-04-12, 11:01 PM
Gearbox oil is ALWAYS overlooked by people when it needs doing more frequent than folk think.

Exactly.

Most F20s I've seen have a rag on either end to stop fluid coming out and 9 out of 10 times its still the original oil, then people wonder why they don't last :cuckoo:

paul080803
08-04-12, 11:03 PM
I am going to do it, if it is alloy I will get some alloy tube and tap a thread into it then cut of a short piece to make a boss and get it mig welded on with a alloy bolt it it. If steel then just weld a nut on the outside.

autoworksnovasport
08-04-12, 11:04 PM
you can get alloy nuts

Andy
08-04-12, 11:05 PM
Exactly.

Most F20s I've seen have a rag on either end to stop fluid coming out and 9 out of 10 times its still the original oil, then people wonder why they don't last :cuckoo:
Nuff said imo:thumb:

mowgli
09-04-12, 08:49 AM
if you must do it, just how thick is the ally plate? it could be thick enough to take a thread.. what i would do if i was fitting one is: go to a decent hydraulic parts supplier, and find a threaded 'bush' that is with an outer male thread & an inner female thread. i would then tap the hole accordingly & loctite the bush in place & then tidy up the inside so the old oil can come out. then i would fit a small plug inside it with a dowty washer to seal it.

that way, you can't overtighten it & kill the threads into the sump.

but like others, i can't see why you need to do this, unless you are planning some crazy motorsport exploits with this box.. just take the end cover off it & clean the box up before putting it in a car

novarally
10-04-12, 09:56 AM
Some of the rally Novas I've stripped have been modified in this way. I might even have a gearbox plate with a drain plug in it going spare........

Iain
10-04-12, 11:53 AM
I don't see why people are so against this idea, anything to make servicing stuff easier is surely better.

It's a horrible job removing the diff cover plate, letting it pour all over your hands and around the edge, sourcing a new gasket off the Internet, etc etc.

autoworksnovasport
10-04-12, 11:59 AM
i dont think anybody is against the idea

they are just asking whats the point with the amount of times you change the transmision oil

personaly i would do it as as you say servicing made easyer gets done more parts last longer "win win"

Nova_Tek
10-04-12, 01:18 PM
I actually thought about this last night lol Great idea as it's less faffing about. Especially if you wanna chuck some oil in there for a few miles to flush the old stuff out and renew it with quality stuff. Otherwise every oil change could mean 1 - 2 new gaskets.

Would be great if you could drill a hole in the plate and thread it, would have assumed the plate is thick enough to get some thread on there for a sump bolt to fasten . Would look the neatest by far as well :)

autoworksnovasport
10-04-12, 01:24 PM
function over form !!!

best way to go if it works well who cares what it looks like

Nova_Tek
10-04-12, 01:25 PM
I'm sure they'd both work though

Stuart
10-04-12, 01:26 PM
note there isn't a magnet about that will collect the swarf you CARE about... e.g. the brassy baulk ring material that fails faster than the steel lol

I would change the TX fluid once a year if I was doing crazy **** with the car. For everything else just change it once every 10 years lol

Edd
10-04-12, 01:40 PM
I ran my F23 dry for 15k lol it was fine lol

brainsnova
10-04-12, 01:57 PM
Vw polo boxes only last 10 miles with no oil before the fail sounds started lol

Andy
10-04-12, 02:37 PM
Vw polo boxes only last 10 miles with no oil before the fail sounds started lol
Yep,did a clutch on one before,asked a helper to fill the box.Taxi driver drove it home and the box just shat its pants.
He got a right royal bollocking

Novasport
10-04-12, 02:49 PM
The diff in our parts lads Polo jumped out of the gearbox, it was then scrapped lol

Stuart
10-04-12, 02:50 PM
I ran my F23 dry for 15k lol it was fine lol

Of course you did..... The F23 sometimes struggles when its full of oil ffs.

paul080803
10-04-12, 03:29 PM
The plate is steel, and I do not think it is thick enough to drill and tap directly.

When I get round to doing it then I will post plenty of pictures!

dstevenson
10-04-12, 06:20 PM
Hi,

Done this mod on my F13 box in the rally nova. Was a steel plate so welded a simple 1/2" steel BSP socket to it and use a bsp plug with ptfe tape and have had no issues at all in the two years. I have a quaife SCCR gear kit and a HHMS plate diff so wanted/need to be able to change the Castrol B373 competition fluid regularly (every 6 events as only SV rallies).

It is now as easy as changing engine oil, no messing about trying to loosen the plate bolts whilst oil spills out all over the place, and trans fluid smells rotten, lol!! Also no need to replace bottom cover seal every time so pennies saved.

David

nevidred
11-04-12, 08:52 PM
i have also done this on my rally car i think its a great mod and recomend it to anyone
Mine has a alloy sump and allthou quite thin is simply driled and taped m10 fine cut down bolt with copper washer hasle free
not only easy oil changes when you do have to take the box out no spilage from the driveshaft holes

dstevenson how do you get on wiyh the castrol 373 is the box a bit stif when cold ???

dstevenson
12-04-12, 12:31 AM
i have also done this on my rally car i think its a great mod and recomend it to anyone
Mine has a alloy sump and allthou quite thin is simply driled and taped m10 fine cut down bolt with copper washer hasle free
not only easy oil changes when you do have to take the box out no spilage from the driveshaft holes

dstevenson how do you get on wiyh the castrol 373 is the box a bit stif when cold ???

Hi,

Don't believe the change is too bad and don't notice much difference hot or cold. I have always used the B373 fluid as this is what was recommended to me and must say have not had any box or diff issues. I made a one off gear shift and linkage - cheap version of a Quaife change with a bit more throw as the Quaife is designed for a dog box and can be very tricky on the synchro box. Thus my change is very direct so can't really compare to a standard road set-up at all, lol