PDA

View Full Version : Turbo rebuild?

Plug
08-04-12, 07:55 PM
Right seeing as the turbo is smoking like a bitch these days think its time for a rebuild,

Found a rebuild kit for £60 notes including a staggered step gap rear seal and 360 bearing,

Anyone attempted this them selves or am I wasting my time?

Joe

Stuart
08-04-12, 08:05 PM
Can you rebalance the shaft to 10's of k rpm?.......

Count Vaux Alot
08-04-12, 08:58 PM
The question you should ask yourself is why is it smoking in the first place?

Edd
08-04-12, 09:27 PM
Oil lines ? Too much boost ?

Joe mate, you wont do that yourself, send it to someone who knows what there doing

burgo
08-04-12, 09:32 PM
not hard to rebuild yourself at all and lots of placing offer balancing by itself for a max of £50. dervy rebuilt the one on his astra and got it balanced by turbo technics for £25

Edd
08-04-12, 09:37 PM
Really ? I phoned round places and wash told they would want to do it all themselves

If thats the case makes my turbo conversion even cheaper lol

burgo
08-04-12, 09:45 PM
do a google search you will find a number of companies that will do it. they will obviously say they want to do it themselves so they can charge you about £250 instead

Mike
08-04-12, 10:06 PM
not hard to rebuild yourself at all and lots of placing offer balancing by itself for a max of £50. dervy rebuilt the one on his astra and got it balanced by turbo technics for £25

This.

Irregardless of why its smoking, still this.

Ive done a few, mostly for my friends old Civic, I know he didnt pay much to have it balanced. And the rebuild kits are reasonably priced also.

Count Vaux Alot
08-04-12, 10:37 PM
There are many reasons to regard WHY it's smoking as it may not be the turbo at fault at all, there for a rebuild of any sort would make little or no difference.

Stuart
08-04-12, 11:15 PM
do a google search you will find a number of companies that will do it. they will obviously say they want to do it themselves so they can charge you about £250 instead

Probably an **** covering exercise though.... I mean you 'could have a goosed turbo' send it to them needing to only be balanced and then you refit to find its still goosed and you claim from them for the whole job etc.

bazil
08-04-12, 11:18 PM
For a full rebuild from a company what sort of warranty comes with that?

Plug
09-04-12, 09:21 AM
Well universal turbos rebuilt it 2 years ago and I only got a years warranty, only just starte using the turbo and it smokes

It's all it can be I've fully rebuilt the rest of the engine myself, the only part I haven't rebuilt myself if the turbo,

So for £60 for a rebuild is much better then the £3-400 price
Than i payed at universal turboS

Count Vaux Alot
09-04-12, 10:40 AM
I'm guessing it's a LET? And as your so sure it's the turbo I would assume you have checked the one way return valve from the right hand pipe on the rocker cover assuming you still have one?
And you have checked it's not breathing heavily - have you carried out a cylinder leakage check? When you say you rebuilt the engine did you have the bores honed with new rings to the correct tolerances?
Do you have a standard down pipe? Has the oil feed been restricted? Have you checked the oil return for and kinks or blockages?
Newly rebuilt turbos often exaggerate underlying issues as the arnt clogged with crap as the old one would have been.

Alex J
09-04-12, 10:52 AM
^^ i agree with mr vaux alot, ive brought a few rebuild kits over the years, leave it to the pros if you want A half decent job imo, both of my rebuilds blew up after a few weeks after buying ebay kits and getting them balanced, the time and effort you spend taking it of, pratting around after its blown up , taking it of ten times, aint worth the agro, thats why im sending mine of, it may cost abit more, but i like the piece of mind..

Plug
09-04-12, 11:02 AM
It's a Let yes mr vaux alot. The complete engine is new, new bearings, rods, pistons, valves, oil pump Cambelt the whole lot is new, the block was rebored and honed skimmed top and bottom, water and oil ways cleaned, etc, etc

When you say the right pipe I assume you mean the oil breather pipe? With a T in it? If so there's no valve on that and wasn't when the engine came to me?

The oil ways are clear and fine they pump oil fine, and the oil way was restricted by universal turbos, when it was rebuilt last time,

Alex who are you getting to do yours?

Count Vaux Alot
09-04-12, 11:44 AM
The pipe that comes out of the left side of the cam cover and runs to the right to the inlet manifold should have a one way valve in it, make sure this hasn't failed. Boost pressure from the manifold shouldn't be allowed back to the cam cover.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r27/donvaux/image014.jpg

Plug
09-04-12, 12:53 PM
Right I just pulled off the pipe from the rocker cover and I can blow and suck air through from the rocker cover end.

I'm guessing this means the valve isn't working
And where can I get one?

Plug
13-04-12, 05:08 PM
Anyone heard or dealt with krs turbos?

There advertising a k16 on fleabag ATM