PDA

View Full Version : Nova transducer question *Maybe electrical?*

Tiger13
07-04-12, 07:13 PM
Sorry if this in the wrong section but my problem is as follows, I have a digi (Without transduce) bought it before researching so an impulse buy (As you do!), Anyway Im finding it hard to find a transducer to go with it but after looking at my gearbox I can see a plug with 2 wires coming from it by the clutch cable, Will these work? I know the speedo on the dash is fed by a cable not a wire but there are definitly 2 wires coming from the g/box I have shown the location from above, Its under the coolant hose circled in white:

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu113/tigerpoeton/Nova/Nova.jpg

Anyway here is a close up of what I believe to be the transducer in question:
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu113/tigerpoeton/Nova/Nova2.jpg

The question is obviously it switches to a mechanical wire somewhere (If what I have pictured is the transducer) but if I get some regular wire and splice the wires on the plug can I run it up to the digi dash (Bypassing whatever converts it to mechanical wire)?

My car is a 1991 SRI if thats any help?

Any info appreciated (Ideally as soon as possible as im in my garage feezing my b*llox off waiting!!)

Lewis.
07-04-12, 07:19 PM
That's your reversing lamp switch fella, the transducer has 3 wires coming from it, and goes on the speedo drive on top of the diff, where your speedo cable currently goes.

as for what transducer you need, donlt believe the myth that it must be from an astra GTE originally fitted with a digi dash, ANY nova/corsa transducer will work, and can be had for a few quid, unlike astra ones which go for lots of cash. there are 2 types of transducer, and depending on which one you have, it will either read correctly, or half/double. however the red switch on the top of the dash is to select between the 2 varieties of transducer

this is the transducer you require http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-transducer-c20xe-c20let-v6-nova-corsa-astra-cav-/260997000017?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc4a22b51 (sorry mods if the ebay link offends, just being helpful, will remove if required)

I've circled your speedo cable in red, the transducer screws onto the drive at the bottom of this. the cable is then redundant so can be removed.
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu307/hay_lewis_68/Nova-1.jpg

autoworksnovasport
07-04-12, 07:26 PM
if you link that up you will get dash lights when you put it in reverse :)

Tiger13
07-04-12, 07:26 PM
Thanks Lewis!!, I have had in in my watch list for a few days now so its ok if it's not forum friendly ;-) So where is the transducer exactly? I know you mention the diff but im not sure where that is? Are you saying my transducer will work 'Any nova/corsa transducer will work' or is it just the gte models? Any ideas on where it is would be good (The haynes manual isnt very helpfull about location!)

Thanks mate :-)

Lewis.
07-04-12, 07:30 PM
I believe SPI nova's had electronic speedo's, so would have the correct transducer, but if it's a nova or corsa transducer, it will be fine. i've edited my post to include your pic edited to show the transducer location, i can take you some of mine though if you need them

Tiger13
07-04-12, 07:33 PM
Thanks mate much appreciated il have a play now!!!

Il update if I manage to do it!

Thanks again mate VERY much appreciated!

Lewis.
07-04-12, 07:36 PM
no problem mate, send me a PM if you are still stuck

here's another pic if it helps
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu307/hay_lewis_68/gbox.jpg

Tiger13
07-04-12, 07:49 PM
Ok new problem!!, I can see the speedo now ( Thanks lewis!) or at least I think its the speedo the issue now is I can see the thick mechanical wire coming from it (Highlited in red) and obviously this is not an electrical connection but also coming from it is a cable that joins a plug (Cant be seen in the pic but the plug 100% connects to the transducer) and the plug has wires coming from that, Is this like a dual system lol? Maybe the mechanical for 'lesser' models and the wiring in place for the better models and is it useable (If it is even speedo cable?

Picture:

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu113/tigerpoeton/Nova/Nova5.jpg

Tiger13
07-04-12, 08:05 PM
Lewis where are you lol?

Lewis.
07-04-12, 08:12 PM
sorry mate, i'm here! yes you already have a transducer, you lucky sod! just remove the speedo cable and that's it. hold on a mo, i'll find you a wiring diagram for it

Tiger13
07-04-12, 08:17 PM
Wow!! Saves me so much hassle!!!, I have this:

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?threads/astra-gte-digital-dash-into-nova.71620/

However theres no (Blue/red) wire for the speedo on my original black plug, Wheres the cable going to be? I can see the 3 cables on the plug (Gearbox end) but how does that transfer to just one wire in the dash and where is it!!?

Again mate thanks so much!!

maddogdaz666
07-04-12, 08:19 PM
yes that is definately the 3 wires you need for the digi dash

EDIT: lewis bet me to it lol

Lewis.
07-04-12, 08:22 PM
here's the wires for the plug, however you may find the wires going to the clocks anyway. whip your clocks out and see where the red/blue wire comes out

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu307/hay_lewis_68/TRANDUCERWIRING.jpg

theres a guide in articles for fitting the clocks, i've used it and it's all accurate

Tiger13
07-04-12, 08:28 PM
Thanks Lewis, Thats been a massive help, I should be ok from here, Il update when im done, Should only be an hour or so ;-) , Thanks again fella

Lewis.
07-04-12, 08:33 PM
no problems, good luck :thumb:

Tiger13
08-04-12, 01:43 AM
Right!!, Took a bit longer than expected as always but got there in the end, Actually it was really simple but Im a westcountry boy (I know I live in wales now but Born and bred in Bristol!) anyway the point is I have a large supply of somerset scrumpy to get through so I have managed to polish off a good 5 pints whilst working on the dash (Excluding my days previous consumption lol!) anyway its done and it works :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I gotta say MASSIVE +rep for Lewis as I wouldn't/couldn't have done it without his advice and to add to that he has saved me the cost of a trandsucer by analysing that I already have one!

Most people on forums will happily sit on forums taking the info and thats fine at the end of the day it's why we are all here! But some people go out of there way and spend their time to help and advise others and the people that can be bothered to do that need a lot of appreciation as so many people dont and without the people that care the forums would be useless!!

Anyway to wrap up I just wanna say thanks Lewis :)!! I have now paid up to be a full member and hopefully I can help others with anything I know about!!, Thanks again guys and to all the people that dont contribute just remember without input there can be no output!!!

Tiger13
08-04-12, 01:44 AM
Oh yeah forgot this!!:

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu113/tigerpoeton/Nova/NovaDigi.jpg

novasrikev
08-04-12, 08:29 AM
thats not a transducer its a speed sensor for your ecu

have you been out in it yet and up to 70mph you might find that it cuts out

Tiger13
08-04-12, 10:49 AM
Well other people have said its ok but I havent been out in it anyway and in all honesty I hardly do over 70 in it anyway I only use it for city driving on weekends I use my jag as my daily driver and for motorways so it doesnt matter but il update later when Iv been out if it works ok or not!

Lewis.
08-04-12, 11:03 AM
Right!!, Took a bit longer than expected as always but got there in the end, Actually it was really simple but Im a westcountry boy (I know I live in wales now but Born and bred in Bristol!) anyway the point is I have a large supply of somerset scrumpy to get through so I have managed to polish off a good 5 pints whilst working on the dash (Excluding my days previous consumption lol!) anyway its done and it works :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I gotta say MASSIVE +rep for Lewis as I wouldn't/couldn't have done it without his advice and to add to that he has saved me the cost of a trandsucer by analysing that I already have one!

Most people on forums will happily sit on forums taking the info and thats fine at the end of the day it's why we are all here! But some people go out of there way and spend their time to help and advise others and the people that can be bothered to do that need a lot of appreciation as so many people dont and without the people that care the forums would be useless!!

Anyway to wrap up I just wanna say thanks Lewis :)!! I have now paid up to be a full member and hopefully I can help others with anything I know about!!, Thanks again guys and to all the people that dont contribute just remember without input there can be no output!!!

No problem mate, Glad I could help :thumb:

thats not a transducer its a speed sensor for your ecu

have you been out in it yet and up to 70mph you might find that it cuts out

It's the same thing mate, so long as he's got the signal coming from the red/blue wire on the transducer to the plug on the clocks, all is well. I'm using a transducer from an SRI on my XE, and can confirm it reads well over 70! lol

novasrikev
08-04-12, 08:51 PM
lewis:It's the same thing mate, so long as he's got the signal coming from the red/blue wire on the transducer to the plug on the clocks, all is well. I'm using a transducer from an SRI on my XE, and can confirm it reads well over 70! lol

this is where you are wrong
a TRANSDUCER is for the dash only
a SPEED SENSOR is exactly what it says on the tin it sensors speed for the ecu

the xe doesnt need a speed sensor for the ecu so your point is abit pointless

so yes it will act as a transducer but the blue and red is the signal wire for the ecu and at speed when the ecu needs the signal the isnt enough from speed sensor to supply the dash and ecu

i know this as i have done the exact same as this guy has done
took it to a auto electrition (a good friend of mine that knows is vauxhalls)
to find out that this was the problem he then told me how they work and how they differ from each other

they will run and get a signal but not pull as strong underload and when coming to a stop at the end of a bypas it would cut out