PDA

View Full Version : Fuel smell - Tigra A.

Tony M
30-03-12, 02:54 PM
Mrs got a Tigra A and there's sometimes a strong smell of fuel coming into the car, doesn't really matter if your turning corner's or stood still in traffic but it is worse if the heater blowers are on. I've checked under the car and there's no dripping of fuel, checked inside the bay and its all dry and doesn't smell of fuel either http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/images/smile/confused.gif

Anybody with any ideas please?

mowgli
30-03-12, 03:23 PM
stupid carbon canister under the arch perhaps?

Tony M
30-03-12, 04:20 PM
stupid carbon canister under the arch perhaps?

I've heard of this before, where is it exactly located?

Nova_Tek
30-03-12, 04:29 PM
Check all the fuel injection pipes/hoses in all the hard to reach areas. It only has to drip out of a small crack and you can smell it. Happened on one of the Cav's. Could smell it for ages. All the hoses looked great then by chance one day while working in the bay I saw one little drip when the engine was running.

mowgli
30-03-12, 04:33 PM
I've heard of this before, where is it exactly located?

there is a breather hose from the tank all the way forward to inside a front wheelarch, then another pipe from it to the inlet. its because of a rule involving no breathers venting to the atmosphere, it might be that.

Tony M
30-03-12, 04:40 PM
Thanks both I'll get checking tomorrow. Btw, to check the condition of the float in the tank, will I need to take the tank off first?

mowgli
30-03-12, 04:47 PM
are you on about the fuel tank?

Nova_Tek
30-03-12, 04:49 PM
The float on the sender?

mowgli
30-03-12, 04:51 PM
If you mean the fuel sender float, you need to make sure the tank is completely empty then you can remove the sender safely.

Tony M
30-03-12, 04:54 PM
Yeah sorry the float in the fuel tank. No matter how much fuel the Mrs put's in, the gauge never shows anymore than just over a quarter.

swedge
30-03-12, 05:00 PM
i once had a fuel leak from the schrader valve on the fuel rail, used to reek inside the car

Nova_Tek
30-03-12, 05:01 PM
It's goosed mate, probably the contact board which the float arm moves up and down on to show how much fuel it's got is worn. Like Mowgli said, you need to drain the tank, remove the sender and see what's going on. Most likely need a new one.

Tony M
30-03-12, 05:05 PM
i once had a fuel leak from the schrader valve on the fuel rail, used to reek inside the car

There's so much wiring on these X14's its hard to see the fuel rail, which side of the fuel rail is it located exactly?

Do I need to remove the fuel tank to fully remove the sender?

swedge
30-03-12, 05:13 PM
im not sure if the x14 has one or not but mine was on top of the fuel rail and looks like a bike tyre valve

mowgli
30-03-12, 05:24 PM
do i need to remove the fuel tank to fully remove the sender?

no, as long as you have drained it, it can stay on the car, i would recommend that you also jack the back end right up too.

Tony M
30-03-12, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the reply's and advice :)