PDA

View Full Version : Direct Fan Switch

jafanan
30-03-12, 11:23 AM
as above im hoping to do this to my mk1 as more a safety precaution than anything

i want to have a hidden direct fan switch

is it as easy and splicing 2 wires into the radiator temp sensor back to the switch in the car

or what else would be needed?

thanks

reecegsi
30-03-12, 11:33 AM
I did mine on a corsa but you splice 1 wire the run that into car onto switch then run a earth wire from switch to body job done i can get colour if you want?

jafanan
30-03-12, 12:01 PM
yea that would be great, as far i rememebr the fan has both red and black running into it, i assume red - positive

should i splice into that then run back to a switch, then earth the switch?

never done it before so just double checking, check twice cut once as they say

mowgli
30-03-12, 12:39 PM
the much easier way is to get some twin core & fit a switch to both wires at the dash end, then some piggy back spade terminals at the other end, take off the original spades, fit the piggy backs & then refit the original spades, then if you need to remove it at a later date, it is a doddle.

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_eKTJ0tkLoR3j3CQviwSIFEehUL7da 8OeSECSvYY2oOoZo_04

jafanan
30-03-12, 12:58 PM
the much easier way is to get some twin core & fit a switch to both wires at the dash end, then some piggy back spade terminals at the other end, take off the original spades, fit the piggy backs & then refit the original spades, then if you need to remove it at a later date, it is a doddle.

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_eKTJ0tkLoR3j3CQviwSIFEehUL7da 8OeSECSvYY2oOoZo_04

thanks for your reply mowgli but you said refit the original spages to the other end, i take it you mean at the sensor? there is no spades on the rad temp sensor, just the sealed push in connection, i like the idea of being able to remove it easily though

mowgli
30-03-12, 01:05 PM
on my mk1, the rad fan switch is in the rad & has 2 spades on it, you must have a later type one

scott.parker
30-03-12, 01:05 PM
I wired mine on the track car that way, minus the piggy backs..

Spudly
30-03-12, 07:08 PM
Just run a wire onto the negative side, this is all you need, the switch becomes live when the ignition is on, the fan is started by the fan switch earthing the circuit, connect a wire to the negative on the fan plug, run it into the cabin to your switch, other side to earth and job done, no fuses needed or relays as it is using the factory fuse anyways, youre just cutting it to earth like the switch does, the beauty of this is that the fan will still cut in via the thermostat as normal and the wiring is twice as easy to do:thumb:

jafanan
31-03-12, 03:10 PM
Just run a wire onto the negative side, this is all you need, the switch becomes live when the ignition is on, the fan is started by the fan switch earthing the circuit, connect a wire to the negative on the fan plug, run it into the cabin to your switch, other side to earth and job done, no fuses needed or relays as it is using the factory fuse anyways, youre just cutting it to earth like the switch does, the beauty of this is that the fan will still cut in via the thermostat as normal and the wiring is twice as easy to do:thumb:

Perfect thanks alot

jafanan
04-04-12, 08:52 AM
got the switch in last night... all is working well, thanks spudly & everybody