PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED (EMERGENCY)

Gazza14SR
23-07-03, 10:17 PM
Just been out in my car and it lost complete power. Checked over the basics, spark plugs ignition leads etc and everything seems fine. After trying to turn it over and failing it sounded like water and/or petrol bubble up. Eventually i got it started then headed for home quickly.

Just before i got home it happened again only this time when i tried to turn it over steam or water or petrol came out of the air filters. (the substance looked like a kettle had just boiled the way it came out)

Again after afew attempts starting it it went. Just been to try and turn it over and it wont go.

Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gazza14SR
23-07-03, 10:47 PM
just been out to start it and it fired first time. it seems to be after a certain period of time occurs the car looses power.

Anyone???

Cheese
23-07-03, 10:47 PM
Is it raining? Water in the plugs/coil will stop it firing properly. If you keep trying to turn it over, fuel will eventually backfire out of the carbs (mist/steam appearance, well it does on mine anyway!) Get some rag and dry as much water away as possible, then spray some WD40, etc on the plugs and leads and a small amount in the dizzy cap. Check the plugs are fitted tightly..

benji
23-07-03, 10:48 PM
how high was the tempreature?

Gazza14SR
23-07-03, 11:06 PM
I will do that cheese. It is not rainning but it was spitting abit. Also over the last few days the car has become jerky when accelerating every now and then.

The temp gauge was just under half way.

Cheese
23-07-03, 11:20 PM
Lol! This is turning into a Derby Locals post! :lol:
Did you end up getting the car rolling roaded to get the carbs setup properly?
Check simple things like spark plug gaps, and the contacts in the dizzy cap. Sounds like an electrical problemrather than fuel..

Gazza14SR
23-07-03, 11:29 PM
this may seem dumb but i take it the dizzy is the distributer?

It all went pair shaped since i took it to be rolling roaded. Going back tomorrow. I do not recommend going to this place at all. I dropped the car off at 8:30 in the morning and he told me to ring at 4. So i did and he tells me hes not managed to do nothing cuz 1 of the mixture screws was siezed. He says to call him back in an hour so i did and he tells me that theres no compression in cylinder 2 and that the heads gone and i could have a valve out.

I found this very strange after he supposidly only worked on it from 4 till 5. I bought my own comprssion tester and there was not a problem with any cylinders at all. They were all giving just over 110psi +/- afew psi.

I will check what you've said and then take it somewhere else for a looking over. I changed my plugs and leads yesterday which cured the jerkiness abit.

Cheese
23-07-03, 11:41 PM
Yep, Dizzy = Distributer
Sounds like a bit of a "Cowboy" place, dont really know anywhere in Derby that might be able to do a better job. Probably worth watching him set the carbs up (if you can).
If you've changed the plugs and leads, did you change the one form the coil to the distributer cap? Also check the earth strap thats connected to the gearbox and the inner wing.

Gazza14SR
23-07-03, 11:55 PM
If you've changed the plugs and leads, did you change the one form the coil to the distributer cap?

yes bought a complete new set.

Also check the earth strap thats connected to the gearbox and the inner wing.

where abouts can i find this?

brian
24-07-03, 01:13 AM
filters could be icing up.

modified_mean_machine
24-07-03, 11:14 AM
how long was the (steam) cumming out of the carb for :?: :?: , i had the same problem on my last nova but the steam was cummin out for at least 2mins it wouldnt start up at all and when i stripped the carb it had a very small crack on the inside of the inlet manifold , round about the area where the coolant hose goes into the back of the carb(THATS IF URS IS THE SAME)so it was leakin coolant into the carb itself, so try checking that out as once i replaced the inlet manifold the car started up first time and i never had the same prob again

hope thats sum help to you

MIKE :D :D :D

ade
24-07-03, 11:52 AM
that would count for it stalling and being all juddery/no power etc - air leaks in manifold.

Not likely to be water in the distributor - that certainly wouldnt cause the steam prob your experiencing.

It'll be carb related - water getting in there somwehere and the heat from the engine making it sturn to steam - or crack causing stem under opressure to be forced through...

Ade

Gazza14SR
24-07-03, 11:57 AM
before i took the car to be rolling roaded i had to fit rubber 'o' ring seats between the carbs & manifold and also some rubber washer with metal plates around on the carbs to allow them to flew. I was told to do these finger tight then 'nick' them up with a spanner. Could it be that these are not tight enough causing the air leak?

Cheers

Gazza14SR
24-07-03, 11:59 AM
Also it struggled to start this morning but when it did i drove to work and just before i got to the main gate the same problem occured. Its about 5-10 mins from my house. Left the car for 5 mins went back and it just started after abit of gas.

Gaz

Dicko
24-07-03, 02:59 PM
headgasket

Aragorn
24-07-03, 10:10 PM
check your water levels

as dicko said could be headgasket on its way out - which would explain the steam and the strange compression test readings, and the rough running

might be an idea to get it changed anyway

Gazza14SR
24-07-03, 10:12 PM
how expensive would this be if i got a mechanic to do it and the difference if me and my mate did it?

Gazza14SR
25-07-03, 05:16 PM
I have took the air filters off and when i go to accelerate or rev the engine petrol shoots out the filters. Anyone know what could cause this? thanks

Ben (lurk75)
25-07-03, 05:54 PM
My first thought was the headgasket.

benji
25-07-03, 11:35 PM
i'd of said head gasket aswell

CP
25-07-03, 11:46 PM
Try:
1. Sort out your carb to manifold gaskets etc. These shud be tin with rubber moulded on them type. Anyhting else wants binning. Make sure all is seated right and tightened reasonably up with nyloc nuts - they vibrate undone very easily and petrol flooding back out the the carbs could be a sign of poor sealing.
2. Check your timing belt hasnt jumped a tooth.

Otherwise it sounds like you will have to have the head off for further examination

Gazza14SR
26-07-03, 12:23 AM
Think i have got a leak on the join where the rubber rings sit in between the carbs and manifold, fuel seems to be leaking from there too

Jim
26-07-03, 01:39 AM
Also check the earth strap thats connected to the gearbox and the inner wing.

where abouts can i find this?

As you look at the engine from the front of the car is will be on the right hand side near the bottom of the engine. It's connected as mentioned above. It will a piece of flexible braided metal, about 1cm thick, but flat at the same time. This being loose could cause intermitent power loss.

Jim

benji
26-07-03, 11:15 AM
i know a good local mechanic if you want one,

where did you take it on a rolling road, That place on morley road in chadd?? Velos are only in burton and are suspossed to be good, ask Cp about them