PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump wiring ?

bazil
27-03-12, 01:02 PM
So my friend has a basic corsa and runs a 1.6 8v on twin 40's his fuel pump is wired straight to the battery and a switch on the dash.

This scares me slightly, in the event of an accident the pump will still run so I wanted a safer option.

I suggest using a relay placed near the battery and it takes it's feed fused from the battery and switched from the oil pressure light switch.

This way the pump will only run when the oil light is out.

The thing is what sort of relay do I need and will this method work?

I know the pump won't prime but there should be enough fuel in the carbs to start the engine?

All advise welcome.

mowgli
27-03-12, 01:19 PM
or he wires it off a relay off the ignition circuit, then fits an emergency kill switch, like lots of newer cars have. i wouldn't know if the oil switch can cope with being used on a control circuit.

bazil
27-03-12, 01:39 PM
What other relays are there?

( my electrical knowledge is even more limited than my mechanical knowledge lol )

Being a carb wiring loom originaly it is a very basic loom

Tony M
30-03-12, 03:03 PM
You say that the pump will only run when the oil light is out - I understand when you want to or need to turn the engine off but what about when you want to prime the fuel before starting the engine?

bazil
30-03-12, 04:52 PM
There should be enough fuel in the carbs to start the engine, also my friends LET engined Astra doesn't prime either, neither does my S3, so that shouldn't be a problem

waggygsi
30-03-12, 04:56 PM
would this no also mean tht if you had an oil leak an the light came on the pump would stop working or am i on the wrong planet lol

swedge
30-03-12, 04:58 PM
or you could fit an inertia switch, most saxo's and 106's in the scrappies have them

thier located by the brake servo and look like a big red button

bazil
30-03-12, 05:29 PM
would this no also mean tht if you had an oil leak an the light came on the pump would stop working or am i on the wrong planet lol

Aye that's right enough, chances are if your oil light comes on when driving then youll have bigger problems than the fuel pump to worry about lol.

or you could fit an inertia switch, most saxo's and 106's in the scrappies have them

thier located by the brake servo and look like a big red button

Is that only a saftey cut out or does it power the pump ?

swedge
30-03-12, 06:21 PM
The feed to the pump goes through the switch and any big bump triggers the switch and kill the pump

bazil
30-03-12, 06:30 PM
Cool, I remember the old XR4x4 sierras had them under the spare wheel